Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
Jrecee
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4508
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:33 pm

Re: Whats your opinion on the new Tomb Raider and Lara Croft?

by Jrecee Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:48 pm

optmusprimenumber wrote:And since they won't make any Indiana Jones games that even come close to this sort of experience, let alone be solid games in the first place, I'll play every Tomb Raider game that comes out as long as it's not garbage. I like a solid story and character development as much as the next guy, but first and foremost I like a solid video game.


Uncharted?
User avatar
CFFJR
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4418
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Whats your opinion on the new Tomb Raider and Lara Croft?

by CFFJR Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:43 pm

Although I disagree with the TC on Lara's characterization pre reboot, I must say I'm very excited for the reboot.

I'm a big TR fan, have been since the original on PC.

A lot of the Tomb Raider purists started crying foul when Crystal Dynamics took over with TR Legend, but as far as I'm concerned they saved the series (I think Core lost their way somewhere along the line), and I've loved every game Crystal has released so far. The reboot looks fantastic, and I can't wait for it.

Like I said, I know of lot TR fans don't like Crystal's games, but I've come to trust them.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
User avatar
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 am
Location: CT Neo England

Re: Whats your opinion on the new Tomb Raider and Lara Croft?

by optmusprimenumber Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:53 pm

Jrecee wrote:
optmusprimenumber wrote:And since they won't make any Indiana Jones games that even come close to this sort of experience, let alone be solid games in the first place, I'll play every Tomb Raider game that comes out as long as it's not garbage. I like a solid story and character development as much as the next guy, but first and foremost I like a solid video game.


Uncharted?


Admittedly, I'm a little behind on owning current gen stuff... I've had liberal access to 360's a couple before and thus own a couple 360 games... but from what I've heard, Uncharted is definitely on my to-do list.
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Whats your opinion on the new Tomb Raider and Lara Croft?

by Gamerforlife Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:22 pm

optmusprimenumber wrote:
GSZX1337 wrote:I thought like this when I was playing God of War 2 on the God of War Collection. I think that the games' story would be a lot more interesting if Kratos was portrayed as the villain. There's no two ways about it, he's the fucking villain. The game tries its hardest to make Kratos into a hero, but he's evil. It feels like the games are lying to me. Anyway, the games' story would be much better if the story was: "Kratos is a real Spartan bastard, now go kill shit."

Back on topic: I'd like to get Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. I got into the BETA for it through GameSpot, but could never use my Steam Key. :?


anti-hero perhaps...


I don't know if he is even that. Everything Kratos does seems selfishly motivated. He doesn't care about people, because he sacrifices them to achieve his goals without giving it a second though. I really do wish they'd just go with, "Yes Kratos is evil, go kill shit"

Hell, it worked with some of the Grand Theft Auto games. The guy in Vice City was no saint but the game doesn't try to portray him as a hero
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 am
Location: CT Neo England

Re: Whats your opinion on the new Tomb Raider and Lara Croft?

by optmusprimenumber Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:11 pm

Ha, had a weird dream last night where I guess I was Kratos and I was fighting some giant w/ a hammer or something, and he kept almost winning so I hid a lot. Ha. The giant kind of looked like Kratos what-with the red on his face and stuff... I don't know, it was a weird dream for sure. But the wierdest part is that I only played the first GoW for about 2 hours and then never touched the series again, and that was like 4 years ago. Damn that Kratos, he's a dick.
User avatar
Mendoza
128-bit
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:58 pm
Location: La Frontera

Re: Whats your opinion on the new Tomb Raider and Lara Croft?

by Mendoza Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:07 am

optmusprimenumber wrote:Ha, had a weird dream last night where I guess I was Kratos and I was fighting some giant w/ a hammer or something, and he kept almost winning so I hid a lot. Ha. The giant kind of looked like Kratos what-with the red on his face and stuff... I don't know, it was a weird dream for sure. But the wierdest part is that I only played the first GoW for about 2 hours and then never touched the series again, and that was like 4 years ago. Damn that Kratos, he's a dick.


Damn, is he going to kill Freddy next and take his job?

That's how he seems to get all his jobs.
msimplay
64-bit
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:13 am

Re: Whats your opinion on the new Tomb Raider and Lara Croft?

by msimplay Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:39 pm

MrEco wrote:I personally was never interested in any of the Tomb Raider games. The gameplay always struck me as simplistic and repetitive. And the controls and camera of each game looked terrible. As for the character Lara Croft, I was never interested. Ask anyone and they'll tell you the same thing: Lara was only ever payed attention to for her sexual appeal (And I never found her remotely physically attractive anyway). The girl had all the personality of a wire fence.

However, this new Tomb Raider reboot (After reading the GameInformer article) has me really excited. Just the gameplay concept alone of trying to survive on a deserted island sounds amazing. But to boot the new redesign for Lara's character looks great. Not only are they actually giving her a personality but it sounds like shes gonna be an actual action hero worth caring about. I don't like protagonists like Kratos or Master Chief. They are invincible. Nothing can hurt them physically or emotionally. They fight through hardships but never learn anything and never have more trouble than it takes you or me to finish breakfast. They are boring. Meanwhile great characters like The Prince (Sands of Time) or Big Boss (MGS3) are able to actually learn to be better people from the events that surround them. They start at the top and are thrust to the bottom and forced to grow to survive. The new Lara looks to be following the latter group. I personally think that more realistic protagonists is exactly what we need. Characters who are relate-able not because they never talk or because we never see there face. But characters who are relate-able because we are shown how human they can be, and because the events that we guide them through are able to shape them just as much as they would any real person.

What are your thoughts?



Well I played the first one the whole way through and I was really excited for the Sega Saturn version of Tomb Raider 2 until it got canned.
Although I did play the PS1 version which was also pretty good.
Then afterwards when Tomb Raider went overboard with releasing nearly the same game everytime I stopped caring and recently got interested in Tomb Raider Anniversary which I thought was the reboot.
Now I'm thinking I don't care anymore it only just got rebooted what again ?
User avatar
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10185
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Whats your opinion on the new Tomb Raider and Lara Croft?

by Gamerforlife Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:29 pm

CFFJR wrote:Although I disagree with the TC on Lara's characterization pre reboot, I must say I'm very excited for the reboot.

I'm a big TR fan, have been since the original on PC.

A lot of the Tomb Raider purists started crying foul when Crystal Dynamics took over with TR Legend, but as far as I'm concerned they saved the series (I think Core lost their way somewhere along the line), and I've loved every game Crystal has released so far. The reboot looks fantastic, and I can't wait for it.

Like I said, I know of lot TR fans don't like Crystal's games, but I've come to trust them.


I felt like Crystal Dynamics nailed everything in previous games except combat, which was just as bad as the old PS1 days. Fortunately, Guardian of Light has nice arcade style action and makes me feel like Lara is much more capable of kicking ass than ever before. It's the first time I've played a game where she truly feels like that action hero she's always portrayed as. It's so much easier to avoid taking damage and I really enjoy being able to nimbly evade my enemy's attacks while unloading on them with whatever weapon I have and I love how the environment comes into play as well as the bombs. It's no longer just a game of you standing in one spot blasting mercs while they fill you full of lead, then using a health pack after the dust settles. They finally made combat an organic part of the game and not just an afterthough

Now, I really hope the next game they do can also deliver some good combat
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
User avatar
MrEco
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:36 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Whats your opinion on the new Tomb Raider and Lara Croft?

by MrEco Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:30 am

Gamerforlife wrote:Now, I really hope the next game they do can also deliver some good combat

The developers were quoted in the GameInformer article saying that they were adding in a "free aiming" system to the game. I've never personally heard the term "free aiming" so I cant be 100% sure what they mean by that but I'm assuming it means all the ranged weapons will be used in standard third person shooter style (in other words, with a reticule).
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
User avatar
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 am
Location: CT Neo England

Re: Whats your opinion on the new Tomb Raider and Lara Croft?

by optmusprimenumber Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:19 am

MrEco wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Now, I really hope the next game they do can also deliver some good combat

The developers were quoted in the GameInformer article saying that they were adding in a "free aiming" system to the game. I've never personally heard the term "free aiming" so I cant be 100% sure what they mean by that but I'm assuming it means all the ranged weapons will be used in standard third person shooter style (in other words, with a reticule).


I'm hoping it ends up like Splinter Cell, I'm a definite fan of that aiming/shooting system... 'specially in Conviction. Before that though, it had that neato click-in-the-left stick to switch shoulders. Wicked cool.
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests