Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Re: I Need Something Cool, Weird, and Japanese.

by D.D.D. Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:59 pm

lisalover1 wrote:Aww, and I was hoping for a Marty. Anyway, he'll be in Tokyo, specifically. What would be better, a Famicom+Disk System, or a PC Engine and a couple games? What would be cheaper?

Definitely a PC Engine... If you're talking core only. The CD or Duos run a bit more.
And I second Breetai, just give your dad a map to Super Potato in Akihabara. They are probably the most expensive but probably the easiest for him. Then again TRADER (IIRC) is on the main strip and likely will have stuff too. (I haven't gone looking for stuff there in years - it's really just touristy now).

If you want something non-gaming related that's Japanese, I think the LAOX in Akihabara still has a "let's sell some crazy Japanese stuff to foreigners" section as well as a duty free area too.

Anyhoo, you should hide in his suitcase and go too. ;)
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Breetai wrote:Get some tried octopus or squid jerky instead. It's available at any convenience store in different flavours..

Just be warned that the smell when you open up a bag of taco jerky, it is very potent. At least the bags I've had were.

One of my friends was in Japan last week and I had him pick a few games up for me as well as he had a quick excursion to Akihabara on Friday. I gave him a list of 5 things so there would be backups in case some couldn't be found. Also provide pictures and other catalog and manufacturer information so your dad can print them out or show them on his phone to make sure there's no confusion.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Do not pass go. Hit some of the import sites such as Play Asia, get price guesstimates and give Santa your list! Instead of milk and cookies a tall expensive bottle might be a great thankyou. :mrgreen:

But if splurging for members, I could use the PS2 Shadow Colossus limited Nico edition. Hey, can't hurt to try. :D

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:39 pm

lisalover1 wrote:Aww, and I was hoping for a Marty. Anyway, he'll be in Tokyo, specifically. What would be better, a Famicom+Disk System, or a PC Engine and a couple games? What would be cheaper?

Ask for a Marty, but don't expect him to find one. Count yourself lucky if he does. Good luck finding games for it. It's a pain!

I vote for the PC Engine over the Famicom/FDS. The PC Engine has a lot more to offer that you cannot find in the States. NES stuff is relatively easy to find in comparison. There really isn't a lot of stuff on the FC/FDS that you cannot get on the NES. It's more of a novelty than anything. Get it AFTER you have somewhat of a Japanese PC Engine and Saturn collection.

If he doesn't mind, ask for a PC Engine Duo system. They do run around 20,000yen at Super Potato, compared to an original white or Core Grafx system, which is around 4000yen. A Core Grafx II/Super CD-ROM2 add-on is a good alternative as well, and it works just as well as a Duo (no system card required for Super CD games!). Get a few Hu-Cards as well, and CD games if you get a Super CD system (like a Duo). Dracula X (Super CD) is sometimes in the "junk" bin at Super Potato for 4000-6000yen, so that would be a really good deal (it's usually 10,000+yen). Bomberman '94, Final Soldier, Parodius, Salamander, Gradius II (Super CD), Ai Cho Aniki* (Super CD) and Kato and Ken are some of the better/more interesting Japan-only PC Engine games. Street Figher II' is a cool novelty, but you'll need a 6-button pad to really enjoy it. I'll leave it to you to look up others and games that were released in the US also that are worth getting (there are MANY). The Bonk (PC Genjin) games, Crush pinball games and the other Soldier shooters (Super Star Soldier, Soldier Blade, Gunhed (sort of)) are examples of great PCE games that you need that made it out of Japan. The Japanese versions are generally MUCH cheaper than their US counterparts. An extra control pad (6-button is good if you want SFII') and a multitap are good accessories to get.

MAKE SURE, if you get a Core Grafx, Super CD-ROM2 add-on, or Duo, that your dad gets one that comes with AV cables!!! They are very hard to find otherwise. The AC adapter is the same as the Master System, Genesis 1 and Sega CD 1 and 2, so that is easier to find a replacement for (only for the original PC Engine or Core Grafx systems... NOT the Duo!!!).

Basically, the PC Engine and Saturn are the two best systems to import from Japan, since so many of their games never left Japan.

Like D.D.D. said, Traders is also good. Traders 3 is on the main strip (Super Potato is in the back streets behind Traders 3) and has a really good selection on the 2nd floor (1st floor if you're British!). They recently moved their retro stuff from Traders 2 earlier this year, so some older maps (2009 and before) might be outdated in this way. FYI, he needs to go to the 3rd floor in Super Potato. Both shops should be fairly easy for your dad to find, as long as you make him a good map (label which exit he should use from the train station!!!).

A Saturn is also a good idea, as it will save you shipping if you get one in the future. It's a bit heavy.

It is true that Akihabara stops like Super Potato and Traders 3 are more expensive than places outside Akihabara, BUT your dad will need to go WAY out of his way to find them. Considering the time spent and extra train fare, it really is not worth it. Just send him to Akihabara.

*Ai Cho Aniki is VERY weird. Cool... maybe. Japanese? Well, probably no other country would come up with that!
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:11 am

Breetai wrote:Bomberman '94, Final Soldier, Parodius, Salamander, Gradius II (Super CD), Ai Cho Aniki* (Super CD) and Kato and Ken are some of the better/more interesting Japan-only PC Engine games.

Depending on what got mangled in translation/conversion, K & K came to the US as JJ & Jeff. :wink:
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:27 am

Hobie-wan wrote:
Breetai wrote:Bomberman '94, Final Soldier, Parodius, Salamander, Gradius II (Super CD), Ai Cho Aniki* (Super CD) and Kato and Ken are some of the better/more interesting Japan-only PC Engine games.

Depending on what got mangled in translation/conversion, K & K came to the US as JJ & Jeff. :wink:

True, but enough was changed that it might as well be a Japan-exclusive! It's not one of the "better" games. It IS "interesting", though. :D It for sure falls into the "cool, weird and Japanese" category.

I will also second that any of the numerous LAOX locations in Akihabara have a good selection of interesting tourist stuff at affordable prices.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:46 am

If he is only limited to Akiba, I suggest LIBERTY. They have good stuff at better prices than the potato.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:11 am

hashiriya1 wrote:If he is only limited to Akiba, I suggest LIBERTY. They have good stuff at better prices than the potato.

Yeah I second LIBERTY. (Seriously, why does everything have to be in CAPS here? :lol: )
IIRC, they also have a "game case" there with "rare" items... or rather semi-good stuff in better shape. ;) That might be TRADER I'm thinking of though... :roll: Either way, same area within 5 minutes of each place.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:25 am

Breetai wrote:Traders 3 is on the main strip (Super Potato is in the back streets behind Traders 3) and has a really good selection on the 2nd floor (1st floor if you're British!).

is this a reference to the currency exchange rate? like is shit real expensive on the first floor? i can't think of why else you would say this and i am genuinely confused.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:49 am

aaron wrote:
Breetai wrote:Traders 3 is on the main strip (Super Potato is in the back streets behind Traders 3) and has a really good selection on the 2nd floor (1st floor if you're British!).

is this a reference to the currency exchange rate? like is shit real expensive on the first floor? i can't think of why else you would say this and i am genuinely confused.

Nope. AFAIK, my Brit chaps told me it's the 1st (US 2nd) because the US 1st floor is the UK's ground floor... or something like that. It makes as much sense to me as the US's 1st floor cuz well, it is the 1st. :lol:
Return to General Gaming