Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Re: I Need Something Cool, Weird, and Japanese.

by swiftzx Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:01 am

D.D.D. wrote:
aaron wrote:
Breetai wrote:Traders 3 is on the main strip (Super Potato is in the back streets behind Traders 3) and has a really good selection on the 2nd floor (1st floor if you're British!).

is this a reference to the currency exchange rate? like is shit real expensive on the first floor? i can't think of why else you would say this and i am genuinely confused.

Nope. AFAIK, my Brit chaps told me it's the 1st (US 2nd) because the US 1st floor is the UK's ground floor... or something like that. It makes as much sense to me as the US's 1st floor cuz well, it is the 1st. :lol:

Wow, it makes sense now :P
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:49 am

D.D.D. wrote:
aaron wrote:
Breetai wrote:Traders 3 is on the main strip (Super Potato is in the back streets behind Traders 3) and has a really good selection on the 2nd floor (1st floor if you're British!).

is this a reference to the currency exchange rate? like is shit real expensive on the first floor? i can't think of why else you would say this and i am genuinely confused.

Nope. AFAIK, my Brit chaps told me it's the 1st (US 2nd) because the US 1st floor is the UK's ground floor... or something like that. It makes as much sense to me as the US's 1st floor cuz well, it is the 1st. :lol:

This is it. Ground floor in the UK = 1st floor in the US. 1st floor in the UK = 2nd floor in the US...

Yeah, Liberty is good. I like Super Potato because the layout is cooler, IMO, and the junk bin usually has better stuff. The rating system at Liberty (rating the quality of game, case, spine card, etc.) is great if you're a collector.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:06 am

All right, then. I'll ask for a PC-Engine and some games. Thanks for the input, everyone! :)
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:30 am

Breetai wrote:This is it. Ground floor in the UK = 1st floor in the US. 1st floor in the UK = 2nd floor in the US...

Yeah, Liberty is good. I like Super Potato because the layout is cooler, IMO, and the junk bin usually has better stuff. The rating system at Liberty (rating the quality of game, case, spine card, etc.) is great if you're a collector.

Random sleepy Q, do they count UK-style up in Canada? I figured you guys might since you use the "favoUrite", "coloUr" and such UK spelling too so perhaps with the floors as well. :?

Oh and as far as the LIBERTY ratings go (c'mon Bree, gotta CAPSITIZE RIBATI~!), everything I've purchased there even with a "low rank" has been much nicer than anything used back in the states. :)
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:17 am

Hobie-wan wrote:
Breetai wrote:Bomberman '94, Final Soldier, Parodius, Salamander, Gradius II (Super CD), Ai Cho Aniki* (Super CD) and Kato and Ken are some of the better/more interesting Japan-only PC Engine games.

Depending on what got mangled in translation/conversion, K & K came to the US as JJ & Jeff. :wink:

Bomberman '94 came out on mega drive as Mega Bomberman in the UK. I think it might've been on SNES too. I imagine the same is true in the US.
gennss
128-bit

by gennss Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:38 am

Get a PCE or some shmups =D
--
Gennss
--
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:13 pm

D.D.D. wrote:
Breetai wrote:Random sleepy Q, do they count UK-style up in Canada? I figured you guys might since you use the "favoUrite", "coloUr" and such UK spelling too so perhaps with the floors as well. :?

Nope, although I taught British English for four years, so I get pretty confused sometimes about Canadian English! It's a strange mix of American and British, as far as grammar and spelling goes.

Oh and as far as the LIBERTY ratings go (c'mon Bree, gotta CAPSITIZE RIBATI~!), everything I've purchased there even with a "low rank" has been much nicer than anything used back in the states. :)

Japanese quality really does mean quality. American quality... used to.

In other words, nobody buys a Harley-Davidson for reliability. It's sad, but it is true.
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:16 pm

[img]
alienjesus wrote:Bomberman '94 came out on mega drive as Mega Bomberman in the UK. I think it might've been on SNES too. I imagine the same is true in the US.

True, but the PC Engine version has more colours and better animations. The MD version is a conversion of the PCE game. They ended up cutting some animation and colours, of course, from the Mega Drive version of the game. Thus, the PCE version is superior.

The SNES never had a conversion of it. It had its own "Super Bomberman" series, that spanned 5 games (only the first two left Japan, I think).

lisalover1 wrote:All right, then. I'll ask for a PC-Engine and some games. Thanks for the input, everyone! :)

Good choice! ;)

Getting a Duo system is your best option. If your step-dad won't spring for it, I would get a Core Grafx II (or a Super Grafx, if you really want one). It's the newest version of the base unit, and matches the Super CD-ROM2 add-on. You will want that add on, as it is the easiest way to turn a PC Engine into a [/img]Duo in functionality (no system cards needed).

The original CD-ROM2 add-on looks cool, but it needs a system card to function AND it has some common hardware failures (the one pictured above does not).

Here are a couple versions of the Duo:

PC Engine Duo:

PC Engine Duo X (same thing, but it's white and comes with a 6-button pad):
Last edited by Breetai on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Re: I Need Someting Cool, Weird, and Japanese.

by hashiriya1 Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:17 pm

Tell him to also try picking up a couple of these. They can be cheap if you know where to go.They usually can be found standing at train station exits pretending to be texting. Tachikawa Station is a good place, but if that is too far, Ikebukuro West should have a good selection. You just take them to karaoke and bag them there.

Breetai
Next-Gen

Re: I Need Someting Cool, Weird, and Japanese.

by Breetai Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:26 pm

hashiriya1 wrote:Tell him to also try picking up a couple of these. They can be cheap if you know where to go.They usually can be found standing at train station exits pretending to be texting. Tachikawa Station is a good place, but if that is too far, Ikebukuro West should have a good selection. You just take them to karaoke and bag them there.

For F' sakes... :lol:

Word of caution... J-girls do not usually shave.
Return to General Gaming