Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
Niode
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7835
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: UK

Re: New Computer Windows 7 64bit or 32bit ?

by Niode Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:01 pm

msimplay wrote:Just as a conclusion to the thread I managed to install Windows 7 Pro in ahci mode.
I had loads of problems in x64 mode because it seems while there is software for the 64bit Windows7 on my motherboard the H55M UD2H there is a notable lack of drivers.
So I stayed on the 32bit version


I use AHCI because I dual-boot OS X and Windows 7. My HDD must be in AHCI for it to work with OS X. I have not seen any downsides to using this. I don't know if performance is actually better or it's a bit of a placebo effect but things do feel snappier and it feels like it boots quicker.

I think drivers mostly boil down to the quality of your hardware. It's not really Windows' fault if you cheaped out on your Mobo. I have a P5Q Deluxe and all the drivers are 64bit versions and work flawlessly on my machine. Thankfully I haven't had any driver woes like I did with the absolutely appalling XP 64bit. That was fucking dreadful.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
msimplay
64-bit
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:13 am

Re: New Computer Windows 7 64bit or 32bit ?

by msimplay Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:48 am

Niode wrote:I think drivers mostly boil down to the quality of your hardware. It's not really Windows' fault if you cheaped out on your Mobo. I have a P5Q Deluxe and all the drivers are 64bit versions and work flawlessly on my machine. Thankfully I haven't had any driver woes like I did with the absolutely appalling XP 64bit. That was fucking dreadful.


I disagree that the motherboard is of a poor quality.
The PC came overclocked at 4.2ghz on a h55m hd2h motherboard and has a 7.2 Windows 7 experience index.

I did however get it cheap at £414 its only designed to be a business machine that I do web browsing and my work on.

I think I personally got a good deal however it not supporting x64 properly I don't think is a sign of a poor quality motherboard its more a sign of the whole of Windows is still in transition otherwise everything would work with x64 and 32bit would be a thing of the past.
User avatar
jeffro11
128-bit
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:27 am
Location: Canada

Re: New Computer Windows 7 64bit or 32bit ?

by jeffro11 Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:01 pm

Windows is still not in transition. Sounds like you have a oddball motherboard with super shitty support from the manufacturer. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have a $90 Biostar 790GX board. Best board I ever used. Overclocks like crazy. Reason? Good support.
msimplay
64-bit
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:13 am

Re: New Computer Windows 7 64bit or 32bit ?

by msimplay Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:26 pm

jeffro11 wrote:Windows is still not in transition. Sounds like you have a oddball motherboard with super shitty support from the manufacturer. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have a $90 Biostar 790GX board. Best board I ever used. Overclocks like crazy. Reason? Good support.


Of course it is in transition otherwise why would there be 32bit software at all wouldn't make sense to make everything 64bit ?

I of course know the reasons why because you can't just drop the previous stuff for compatability reasons probably not for the individual end user but the many companies that Microsoft has contracts with and wants to update to the new version.

I don't even get where you are getting the assumption that its super shitty support ?

They have the 32bit drivers down fine just 64bit driver support isn't there.
In fact most stores don't ship their oem computers with 64bit os yet and those that do I see as ahead of the curve and usually paying quite a lot for the privilege if they have the option at all.

The motherboard in question is one of the best in it's class based on the h55 chipset.
While not a highend motherboard it certainly is good with a 4.2ghz stable overclock from a icore3 540 processor
and supports ddr3 memory and just what I needed out of a motherboard in terms of speed and energy efficiency
See for yourself
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3309#ov
User avatar
jeffro11
128-bit
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:27 am
Location: Canada

Re: New Computer Windows 7 64bit or 32bit ?

by jeffro11 Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:50 pm

The 64bit drivers don't work well. That's called shitty support. You just verified that. I'm done here.
User avatar
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6847
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:05 am
Location: Statesville, North Carolina

Re: New Computer Windows 7 64bit or 32bit ?

by Mod_Man_Extreme Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:37 pm

msimplay wrote:
jeffro11 wrote:Windows is still not in transition. Sounds like you have a oddball motherboard with super shitty support from the manufacturer. Nothing more, nothing less.

I have a $90 Biostar 790GX board. Best board I ever used. Overclocks like crazy. Reason? Good support.


Of course it is in transition otherwise why would there be 32bit software at all wouldn't make sense to make everything 64bit ?

I of course know the reasons why because you can't just drop the previous stuff for compatability reasons probably not for the individual end user but the many companies that Microsoft has contracts with and wants to update to the new version.

I don't even get where you are getting the assumption that its super shitty support ?

They have the 32bit drivers down fine just 64bit driver support isn't there.
In fact most stores don't ship their oem computers with 64bit os yet and those that do I see as ahead of the curve and usually paying quite a lot for the privilege if they have the option at all.

The motherboard in question is one of the best in it's class based on the h55 chipset.
While not a highend motherboard it certainly is good with a 4.2ghz stable overclock from a icore3 540 processor
and supports ddr3 memory and just what I needed out of a motherboard in terms of speed and energy efficiency
See for yourself
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3309#ov

Ok, here's a simplified description on why there is 32bit software and 64bit software.

Any computer you bought from about 1992 to 2005/6 was 32bit hardware. That means it can only process 32bit or 16bit (depending on your hardware and configuration) software.

64bit computers burst onto the consumer computer scene in 2005/2006 and provided a much wider datapath for software and hardware to take advantage of.

If you have a new or recent 64bit machine it can run 32bit or 64bit software.

If you have a 32bit machine you bought at a savings when 64bit hardware was introduced then you can only use 32bit software and people generally don't like hearing that their expensive electronics are now shiny bricks.

So, companies now make 32bit and 64bit software to cater to both demographics. Those who have 32 bit hardware and those who have 64bit hardware.

If you have 64bit hardware then run 64bit software.

If you have 32bit hardware run 32bit software.

Yes a 64bit machine can run a 32bit program but it won't perform all that much better than on a good 32bit machine.

In comparison if you run nothing but 64bit software on 64bit machines when applicable (not all programs are coded in 64bit but 32bit programs work natively in 64bit OS'es) then your experience will be much smoother and faster than a 32bit machine can provide.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.


Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Note and 4 guests