Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Bootaaay
128-bit

Re: All time worst exclusives?

by Bootaaay Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:16 pm

Brute Force for the original Xbox - it was meant to be the next Halo-like big hit, instead it was an ugly mess.
PSN; Bootaaay ---------------------------------------------------------------- XBL; B007444Y
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:19 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:I thought Altered Beast was pretty crummy. Considering that I'm a huge Genesis fan who loves beat 'em ups, that's saying something.

I'll second this. I could never really see this shallow beat 'em up as a system seller. It clearly worked, but I don't understand it.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
Bikeage
128-bit

by Bikeage Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:42 pm

The TG16's Keith Courage in Alpha Zones comes to mind.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:11 pm

Bikeage wrote:The TG16's Keith Courage in Alpha Zones comes to mind.

Yes indeed. Of all the games to promote the system with, why this one?

Sonic R - Wow sega, this is incredible! 10 characters who people only give a shit about 3 of, horrible slippy controls, only 5 race courses and stupid arbritrary requirements to unlock one of them. Why on earth would I want to play Mario Kart 64 over this? This is the best racing game ever! </sarcasm>
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:22 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:I thought Altered Beast was pretty crummy. Considering that I'm a huge Genesis fan who loves beat 'em ups, that's saying something.

I'll agree that Altered Beast is not a very good game, but it's hardly exclusive to Genesis. Leaving out current console ports it came out on a lot of systems back then:

Amiga (1989)
Amstrad CPC (1989)
Atari ST (1989)
Commodore 64 (1989)
DOS (1990)
Genesis (1988)
MSX (1988)
NES (1990)
SEGA Master System (1989)
TurboGrafx-16 (1989)
TurboGrafx CD (1989)
ZX Spectrum (1988)
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:01 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:

I'll agree that Altered Beast is not a very good game, but it's hardly exclusive to Genesis.

Bah, you're right. I actually only have the SMS version.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:41 pm

SuperAnthony64 wrote:Lair PS3 is another one that is supposed to be bad.

I like Lair, to be honest.

corn619 wrote:That DOA volleyball game for the 360. Not even the biggest ,most jiggling hooters could save that game.

But the nude patch sure saved it on the original X-Box. :mrgreen:

What system "exclusives" have been the worst? I am not really referring to the shovelware stuff that isn't widely promoted - I mean the games that are highly touted as exclusives by a console manufacturer but just plain suck.

I think some people in this thread have completely missed your point. Superman 64 has NO place in this discussion, as it was never touted as an exclusive. Even Keith Courage was never really highly touted, it could be argued. Yeah, it was a pack-in, but I don't remember it being a game that was really pushed (or maybe it was, if you count store kiosks).

I would say the high profile system with the highest ratio of highly touted games that "sucked" would be the Sega CD. Those FMV games were pushed WAY too much. The Jaguar would also have to be up there.
saturnfan
128-bit

by saturnfan Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:53 pm

What the hell is wrong with you people? Altered Beast rules, rise from your god damn grave and get some respect!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:56 pm

You got me there Hobie. I thought of Altered Beast as the Genesis system seller. I didn't consider checking wikipedia to see which other systems ran a port of altered beast. I searched youtube to verify and came up with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwmcQw9NRI
Wow, I thought this game looked bad on Genesis; it looks awful on NES. Is this a legit game, or did pirates port it to Nintendo hardware?

In my defense, Altered beast was touted as an exclusive Sega product. I seem to remember one of Sega's hype commercials claiming, "Only Sega has arcade quality; Only Sega has Altered Beast".

No saturnfan, as much as my nostalgia goggles would like me to agree with you, I can't. I recently played Altered Beast again and found that it's rather lame.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:03 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:You got me there Hobie. I thought of Altered Beast as the Genesis system seller. I didn't consider checking wikipedia to see which other systems ran a port of altered beast. I searched youtube to verify and came up with this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VwmcQw9NRI
Wow, I thought this game looked bad on Genesis; it looks awful on NES. Is this a legit game, or did pirates port it to Nintendo hardware?

It's a legit conversion by Asmik for the Famicom. It was only released in Japan. It also has extra levels where you turn into a shark and a bird apparently.
Return to General Gaming