Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Hatta
Next-Gen

Re: Sub Genres... Let's Move 'Em Up

by Hatta Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:53 pm

saturnfan wrote:But don't must games require you to survive? We should just add survival to the begining of all genres: survival FPS, survival platformer, survival shump, survival music, etc...

I think the "survival" is meant to stress the relative importance of survival over other game elements. In an FPS, yes you have to survive, but the real core of the gameplay is in the combat. In a survival horror game you may go for long periods without killing a thing, because you're too focused on simply surviving. I think there is a real difference between survival horror games like Alone in the Dark or Resident Evil and a horror themed action adventure game like Eternal Darkness.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Frizz.Meister
32-bit

by Frizz.Meister Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:59 pm

I think your right about sub-genres because shmups get a lot of love on this site and many people would argue thier a sub-genre of shooters. Yet 3rd person shooters dont get any mention from contra to gear of war.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:10 pm

Frizz.Meister wrote:I think your right about sub-genres because shmups get a lot of love on this site and many people would argue thier a sub-genre of shooters. Yet 3rd person shooters dont get any mention from contra to gear of war.

that's what i'm saying... but i think ur gears of wars are "action" games and ur contras are "side-scrollers" or "shmups" as well, i'm not an authority on the matter er anything... but either way... good call
MidnightRider
32-bit

by MidnightRider Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:15 pm

Pretty sure Contra, Metal Slug, and the like are considered "Run n Gun."
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:49 am

MidnightRider wrote:Pretty sure Contra, Metal Slug, and the like are considered "Run n Gun."

that's it... ha, i thought something was amiss
Frizz.Meister
32-bit

by Frizz.Meister Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:08 pm

MidnightRider wrote:Pretty sure Contra, Metal Slug, and the like are considered "Run n Gun."

What gear of war isnt? Yes you can take cover but when i play it i rack up the difficulty to insane and litterally run at the enemies gunning with over the top firepower. In fact the only times i dont is when you have to do those scripted moments of, "Marcus take out X with the Troika."

Or is there no such thing as a 3d run and gun? Genuinly?
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Frizz.Meister wrote:

What gear of war isnt? Yes you can take cover but when i play it i rack up the difficulty to insane and litterally run at the enemies gunning with over the top firepower. In fact the only times i dont is when you have to do those scripted moments of, "Marcus take out X with the Troika."

Or is there no such thing as a 3d run and gun? Genuinly?

I don't think so... Gears of War is a 3rd person shooter, Contra is a run-n-gun, R-Type is a Shmup, Doom is a first person shooter... but also, if you went to the topics list here at Racketboy, for example, and saw 3rd Person Shooter, Run-N-Gun, Shmup, and FPS listed instead of "shooters" you could more easily narrow things down according to your tastes and look at things more aligned w/ what you hope to find. Now looking for Stealth games and Survival Horror games starting at a general genre list is even worse than shooters. Are either of them action games, or action-rpg's, or rpg's (as some have called RE), or 3rd person shooters (in the case of perhaps Splinter Cell or MGS), or what? I mean what do you call Tenchu besides a Stealth Game? And where in that generalized list of genres do you start? True, there's always a search engine. But if that was all it took to satisfy this, then why use the idea of genres in the first place? It's time for a REV-OH-LEW-SHUNN!
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:45 pm

We need a forum that should contain half of the games mentioned in this site called "Murder simulators"
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:50 pm

we need less forums, not more. it already takes me, like, 5 entire seconds to scroll to the bottom of the main page. why, with all of these extra subgenres, it could take me 6, 7, upwards of 8 seconds or more!
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:51 pm

optmusprimenumber wrote:Stealth and Survival Horror need to be in the same list as all other genre staples. It's time. With at least a few handfuls of games to represent them, never mind some long running and successful series, I think there's enough of them to bring them above "sub genre" fame. What do you guys think? Any sub genres you can think of that should be moved up too? Let's talk about this one.

I think in general this is a bad idea. There's no much point in having any sort of gaming taxonomy if, once things get big enough, they get their own entire genre. As far as I can tell, gaming now uses just a two-level classification scheme-- genres and sub genres. If anything, I think we probably need MORE levels to better describe the similarities games have.

I should clarify that I'm not sure of the purpose of the original suggestion. I'm certainly not suggesting that these forums need to be further divided up. If anything, I personally think some of the forums should be consolidated, though I am happy with the current setup.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
Return to General Gaming