Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

Sub Genres... Let's Move 'Em Up

by optmusprimenumber Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:51 pm

Stealth and Survival Horror need to be in the same list as all other genre staples. It's time. With at least a few handfuls of games to represent them, never mind some long running and successful series, I think there's enough of them to bring them above "sub genre" fame. What do you guys think? Any sub genres you can think of that should be moved up too? Let's talk about this one.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Re: Sub Genres... Let's Move 'Em Up

by Jrecee Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:53 pm

I always thought the mosquito simulator genre needed more recognition.

GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:54 pm

We also need a dating sim forum. :P
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:46 am

You know, I never say this but it's always been on my mind. Survival Horror just sounds incredibly stupid. They should just be called Horror games. The need for survival is at the core of every horror experience whether it's movies or games, we don't NEED to have the word in the genre's name. It's just stupid

As for these two genres getting moved up, I'm cool with it. Though I still feel like these genres are still relatively small. Most people can't think of that many stealth or Horror games beyond Metal Gear, Resident Evil and that's pretty much it.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
corn619
Next-Gen

by corn619 Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:48 am

Lets not skip abortion & toilet flushing stickies. :roll:
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:02 am

Gamerforlife wrote:As for these two genres getting moved up, I'm cool with it. Though I still feel like these genres are still relatively small. Most people can't think of that many stealth or Horror games beyond Metal Gear, Resident Evil and that's pretty much it.

relatively small, yes... but your splinter cells and silent hills have made a good amount of noise too... i'm not gonna list the other stealth and survival horror games 'cause i obviously must know a few since i started this thread, which is besides the point... one of my points, really, (for example) is that you should be able to click a link for "stealth" games on any gaming site and pretty much end up with the entire list of games that qualify, which is big enough that a fan of the genre would appreciate it. same thing for horror games. they just seem overlooked in that aspect.
MidnightRider
32-bit

by MidnightRider Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:03 am

Gamerforlife wrote:Survival Horror just sounds incredibly stupid. They should just be called Horror games. The need for survival is at the core of every horror experience whether it's movies or games, we don't NEED to have the word in the genre's name. It's just stupid

Only thing is, games based on a horror theme, without the same adventure elements, might get lumped into this vague "Horror" genre.
saturnfan
128-bit

by saturnfan Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:43 pm

MidnightRider wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Survival Horror just sounds incredibly stupid. They should just be called Horror games. The need for survival is at the core of every horror experience whether it's movies or games, we don't NEED to have the word in the genre's name. It's just stupid

Only thing is, games based on a horror theme, without the same adventure elements, might get lumped into this vague "Horror" genre.

But don't must games require you to survive? We should just add survival to the begining of all genres: survival FPS, survival platformer, survival shump, survival music, etc...
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:55 pm

It's not really Survival Music until someone puts a gun to the back of your head while you play Rock Band.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:08 pm

GSZX1337 wrote:It's not really Survival Music until someone puts a gun to the back of your head while you play Rock Band.

Rock of the Dead?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_of_the_Dead
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
Return to General Gaming