13%

Total votes: 72

ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Saturn vs. N64 FIGHT!

Post by ZeroAX »

dsheinem wrote:
We can get a rough estimate from Wikipedia:

Saturn: 540 games (about 300 are import only)
N64: 387 (about 85 are import only)
PS1: 2400 games (about half are import only)

I'm actually shocked that the 10 million selling saturn has so many more games than the 32 million selling N64. I guess that's what you get when you are the favorite of a big market's indie developers.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

dsheinem wrote:I am surprised that the N64 saw more domestic releases than the Saturn, even though the N64 library is tiny compared to other successful consoles before or since. That might be why I've never been big on the system - not enough titles, not enough variety.

The 40 or so great games on the system that I can think of are more than enough to justify it to me. Mario 64, ocarina, majora, f zero x, smash bros, mario kart, mario golf, mario tennis, mario party 1-3, blast corps, goldeneye, perfect dark, banjoa kazooie & tooie, conker, mischief makers, pokemon snap, pokemon stadium 1&2, pokemon puzzle league, diddy kong racing, donkey kong 64, tetrisphere, wetrix, 1080 snowboarding, wave race, beatle adventure racing, kirby 64, excitebike 64, pilotwings 64, dr mario, mystical ninja, goemons great adventure, rocket: robot on wheels, lylatwars/starfox 64, paper mario, rogue squadron, space station silicon valley, perhaps glover, yoshis story. Bangai-O and sin and punishment too if you're into imports.

Now I know anyone could make a list like that for any console, and it could probably be longer too. But even if I only wanted 5-10 of those games, that for me would justify the console, especially for the price it'll set you back now, which is not a whole lot.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

alienjesus wrote:
The 40 or so great games on the system that I can think of are more than enough to justify it to me. Mario 64, ocarina, majora, f zero x, smash bros, mario kart, mario golf, mario tennis, mario party 1-3, blast corps, goldeneye, perfect dark, banjoa kazooie & tooie, conker, mischief makers, pokemon snap, pokemon stadium 1&2, pokemon puzzle league, diddy kong racing, donkey kong 64, tetrisphere, wetrix, 1080 snowboarding, wave race, beatle adventure racing, kirby 64, excitebike 64, pilotwings 64, dr mario, mystical ninja, goemons great adventure, rocket: robot on wheels, lylatwars/starfox 64, paper mario, rogue squadron, space station silicon valley, perhaps glover, yoshis story. Bangai-O and sin and punishment too if you're into imports.

Now I know anyone could make a list like that for any console, and it could probably be longer too. But even if I only wanted 5-10 of those games, that for me would justify the console, especially for the price it'll set you back now, which is not a whole lot.

Totally agree dude. If a retro console has 5 games I want, I'll buy it. If it has 10 games I want it'll be below my TV set for a long time. If it has 20 games I want it has practically reserved a spot below my TV forever
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

alienjesus wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I am surprised that the N64 saw more domestic releases than the Saturn, even though the N64 library is tiny compared to other successful consoles before or since. That might be why I've never been big on the system - not enough titles, not enough variety.

Great list! I have a ton of these...I HAVE an N64 I just play it less than the other two from the same gen. Usually it take me one good game to justify a console, and sometimes less than that. So no need to defend it as a good system, I just can't get into it as much as the other systems from that gen...
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

ZeroAX wrote:Totally agree dude. If a retro console has 5 games I want, I'll buy it. If it has 10 games I want it'll be below my TV set for a long time. If it has 20 games I want it has practically reserved a spot below my TV forever

My threshold for buying a system is 10-15 games. Which the N64 has for me, but the Saturn doesn't.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

dsheinem wrote:
Great list! I have a ton of these...I HAVE an N64 I just play it less than the other two from the same gen. Usually it take me one good game to justify a console, and sometimes less than that. So no need to defend it as a good system, I just can't get into it as much as the other systems from that gen...

Why thank you. The list was actually put together from the N64 game I own and the N64 games I want, which is why there were some omissions that i'm sure others would recommend like Castlevania, Turok, Starwars Pod Racer, the bomberman games and Megaman 64. I kinda wish I had the money to justify a whole system for one good game! Maybe one day :p
saturnfan
128-bit

Post by saturnfan »

I know I said I picked Saturn and am I still sticking to it, but I just wanted to point out that is a weird comparison.

The Saturn and the N64 don't have a lot in common, the Saturn was intended to be the best 2d system ever while the N64 tried to push the limits of graphical capabilities in a home system.

The Saturn did not rely on their first party support as heavily as the N64 did. Most good games on the N64 were either by Nintendo or a company they owned at the time (like Rare).

The types of games you will find on each system are dissimilar. You wont find a lot of shumps, 2d fighters and rpgs on the N64.

Saturn had some interesting innovations like built in memory and online play, N64 didn't.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

saturnfan wrote:Saturn had some interesting innovations like built in memory and online play, N64 didn't.

N64 had the first and only 3 handed controller
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

AppleQueso wrote:

:lol:

Honestly THAT is probably the reason I pick up recent Nintendo consoles less and less. The NES and SNES pads = perfection for their day. Everything from N64-present = some of the worst controllers of the past 15 years.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

dsheinem wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

:lol:

Honestly THAT is probably the reason I pick up recent Nintendo consoles less and less. The NES and SNES pads = perfection for their day. Everything from N64-present = some of the worst controllers of the past 15 years.

You crazy! The gamecube and wii pads are some of my all-time favourites. Personally, I cant stand the PS2, PS3 or original Xbox controllers.