13%

Total votes : 72
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Saturn vs. N64 FIGHT!

by ZeroAX Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:21 am

Wim_Senna wrote:
Both were knocked out of the water by, well... you know who :mrgreen:

I played on Saturns every now and then but the load times seemed very long to me, in comparison to , well... you know who.

Voldemort?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:15 am

pepharytheworm wrote:
hashiriya1 wrote:Saturn.

One reason. I have owned two N64s (one brand new) and they both died on me. I have owned at least 5 Saturns since its release, and all of them worked perfectly during ownership.

You had two n64s die on you? How is this even possible? I have seen N64s beaten up and treated real poorly still working.

That's nothing; I've owned 5 Master Systems, and none of them can read cartridges without me using some weird trick to hold them at a certain angle.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:58 am

Wim_Senna wrote:I played on Saturns every now and then but the load times seemed very long to me, in comparison to , well... you know who.

PC Engine?

A better poll would be Saturn vs. PC Engine!

Droid Party wrote:The one thing I will say for the Saturn is that the second gen digital controller is absolutely sublime.

That's not the second gen controller, it's the first gen. What you think of as the first controller was only released in America (maybe EU?), but was eventually replaced by the real first controller.
Wim_Senna
8-bit

by Wim_Senna Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:24 am

Breetai wrote:PC Engine?

No, the Playstation, which kicked both their asses :lol:

102 million customers can't be wrong...
PC Engine Duo,Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive, SNES, Gameboy Advance, Atari Lynx, Playstation, PS2, PS3, PSP, NES,Gameboy,Atari 7800,Wii
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:44 am

Worth considering is the number of games for each system across regions...

We can get a rough estimate from Wikipedia:

Saturn: 540 games (about 300 are import only)
N64: 387 (about 85 are import only)
PS1: 2400 games (about half are import only)

The PS1 blows away the competition in terms of sheer numbers. Even if you allow that it had a higher percentage of shovelware, there's just a ton more high quality options with the PS1.

I am surprised that the N64 saw more domestic releases than the Saturn, even though the N64 library is tiny compared to other successful consoles before or since. That might be why I've never been big on the system - not enough titles, not enough variety.
the King
Next-Gen

by the King Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:01 am

Flake wrote:
Bradtemple87 wrote:saturn, import list destroys!

Yeah, I think anyone that says the Saturn was lacking for anything hasn't checked the import list. My Saturn? 3 US games. 12 JP games.

The fact that you have to modify a Saturn to actually make it worthwhile means the N64 wins easily.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

by AmishSamurai Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:34 am

I'm not big on fighters or shmups, so the N64 wins for me. People hate on the controller, but generally you aren't using the whole thing at once. Generally you're either holding the middle and right side, or the left and right side.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:20 pm

I LOVE the n64 controller, it was very innovative at the time and still makes me drool it's damn cool for '96 . I am not sure why people hate it so much other than it being a bit large. I hate the snes controller because it used to hurt my fingers all the time due to games similar to wwf raw .

Wim_Senna wrote:
The N64 had the power but lacked the storage capacity on those carts, and the games were very pricey (thanks to those carts).

now that you mention it , I would like to see what kind of graphics the 64 can produce if it had 5-10x it's storage?

any body ever tried to show how capable the 64 hardware is once it had more storage?
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

by pepharytheworm Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Wim_Senna wrote:
Breetai wrote:PC Engine?

No, the Playstation, which kicked both their asses :lol:

102 million customers can't be wrong...

Let's leave Playstation out of the equation. I see PS1 vs Sat or N64 vs PS1 all the time, I wanted something a little different.

And 102,000,000 customers can be wrong if you don't like it. Do you like every song on top 40 stations?
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm

i of course picked...S..a..t.....Nintendo 64! i'm just starting of my Saturn Collection this year and it's a great system to collect, however N64 has stolen my heart since 96. :P
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Return to General Gaming