Double K.O.
13%

Total votes : 72
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Saturn vs. N64 FIGHT!

by ZeroAX Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:05 pm

the N64 because it uses cartridges.

Also I love platform games, and the N64 simply has the best 3D platform games of any console that gen.

Also I don't really like shoot em up games, or fighting games (with the exception of the Streets of Rage/Final Fight style of game)

Plus I don't speak Japanese, so RPGs are thrown out of the window.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:09 pm

PS1>Saturn>N64
flamepanther
Next-Gen

by flamepanther Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Flake wrote:
flamepanther wrote: It's OK if you like Saturn better, but let's at least be fair. Just sayin'.

Okay, I'll be fair -

The N64's library was just way too limited. The Big N went it alone (thanks to driving almost all of their 3rd party developers into Sony's open arms) and it really shows. Almost all of Nintendo's successful titles on the 64 had to come from their own studios and as a result the entire library felt derivative.

The net result: Nothing on the N64 was new. It was the same ol' same ol' but with annoying camera problems, unresponsive controls, and really fuzzy graphics. But it was in 3D so it all got a pass back in the day.
That may be so (to a degree), but the sh'mups and Street Fighter clon--I mean fighting games that draw in most of the hardcore Saturn fans hardly smack of newness either. The great RPGs on Saturn were mostly sequels or spin-offs as well. That basically leaves NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, and the Panzer Dragoon games--none of which were without control issues of their own, BTW. Bashing derivatives doesn't leave any console of that generation with much to stand on.
Droid party
Next-Gen

by Droid party Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:58 pm

dsheinem wrote:PS1>Saturn>N64

Concise. :wink:
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:41 pm

I think N64 wins this one easy:

1) N64 set the standard for 3D platforming

2)N64 has a collection of the highest scoring games created ever( in their time) including mario 64, zelda , and goldeneye all of which changed the world of videogames as we know it

3) 3D and no loading? WOOHOO what other console would do that? I dunno of the Jaguar counts.

4) Best wrestling games on any platform? Also set the standard for future wrestling games.

5) Works like a charm, no bad laser , or failures.

6)Expansion pack, rumble pack, it brought a lot of stuff to the hardware market, not to mention the use of the analogue

7) The only 3D cartiridge console? I would like to give it extra points for that.

The Saturn failed as a system, it didn't sell, the quality games are numbered, price was high, it succeeded in 2D games in a 3D world .
Must say that its a great shmups and fighting genre system, but thats niche, we are talking overall console.

Maybe the Japanese stuff is good, but who will learn japanese just to play Saturn games?
saturnfan
128-bit

by saturnfan Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Hmmm... lets see:

Saturn is one of my favorite systems of all time.

N64 is one of my least favorite, with very little on it that appeals to me beyond some of the first party games.

I think I will choose Saturn.
TheyCallMeTheSwede
128-bit

by TheyCallMeTheSwede Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:51 pm

Saturn, if you read my "Games you hate that everyone likes" post, you know why I pick that over N64.
Top 101 Favorite Games of All Time

CURRENTLY OWNED: NES, SNES, GC, GB, GBA:SP, GEN, SAT, DC, PS2, PS3, PSP, X360, NGPC, Neo-Geo AES, PCE Duo, PS4, PSX, oXbox

$ALE: NOTTING!!! ABSORUTRY NOTTING!!!!!!

WANTED: CDX, 3DO, Amiga 32CD, Master System, Wii

Xbox Live: AHTNF
PSN: CallMeTheSwede

Be a pal, Check out my Photography
http://callmetheswede.deviantart.com
flamepanther
Next-Gen

by flamepanther Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:58 pm

There are two things both consoles have in common:

-Lots of untapped potential left wasted

-Should have beat PS1
ChimairaGT
16-bit

by ChimairaGT Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:07 pm

I had to go double KO. Too tough of a choice. In my opinion the N64 had more great games, while the Saturn had far more good games. The best that the N64 had knocks out anything that the Saturn can throw at it. Zelda 64 is still my favorite, or second favorite depending on what day you ask, game of all time, bested only by Chrono Trigger. Mario and Mario Kart are still fantastic and absolutely classic. Rogue Squadron, Wrestlemania 2000, and Perfect Dark all have fond memories and each is a shining example in their genre.

However, beyond that small handfull of games there really isn't much else that stands out to me. Saturn, on the other hand, has tons of very good games in a large variety of genres. It has standout fighters, shooters, and RPGs. Fire Pro Wrestling 6MS, Panzer Dragoon Saga, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Shining Force 3, and Grandia are all extremely good games and there are many more equally as good in their respective genres. My love for the Saturn is strong enough that I played through 150+ hours of Shining Force 3 scenarios and Grandia, all in Japanese. While the great N64 games is in single digits, the number of very good Saturn games is in the dozens.

In the end, I couldn't decide if the quantity of good Saturn games outweighed the quality of N64s best, so I went double KO. Although, to be fair, I am currently selling off my N64 stuff, and my PS1 stuff to a degree, in favor of emulation and VC (for clutter reasons), while you would have to kill me to take my Saturn collection, so maybe Saturn holds a slightly stronger place for me.
ChimairaGT
16-bit

by ChimairaGT Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:08 pm

And I agree, the Saturn is the best 2D controller by far. I don't quite think its analog counterpart can stand up to the N64, though
Return to General Gaming