42%
Double K.O.
13%

Total votes: 72

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Saturn vs. N64 FIGHT!

Post by alienjesus »

I voted N64 in the end, but for me, this gen is the hardest to pick between. The n64 has some of myall-time favourite games, but the cult classics on saturn are of very high quality (and price, and are often stuck in japanese..) and the playstation library is so huge tht surely anyone should be able to find something they enjoy.

The Nintendo vs Sega debate is always tricky for me. Ultimately, I would vote nintendo over sega marginally in each generation (except game gear vs game boy - the game gear is ok, but it just doesnt compare to the game boys library). I love the SMS, but ultimately the NES just has more great games to offer due to a bigger library. I love the Mega Drive, but I feel the big name SNES games have generally aged better than the MD games. Whilst I love the dreamcast, its probably the easiest pick for me. The gamecubes extra years of retail and amazing first party releases completely topped the competition for me that gen, even though there's plenty to love on the other consoles too. With the dreamcast, I kinda feel that there were some great games, but they do generally all feel like early releases, as if the system wasnt used to its full yet. Which, tbf, it probably wasnt.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

kingmohd84 wrote:Maybe the Japanese stuff is good, but who will learn japanese just to play Saturn games?

:roll: You don't need to learn Japanese for the majority of good games. It is really only RPGs that you need Japanese for. Games like Radiant Silvergun require ZERO Japanese ability.
lwcook
128-bit

Post by lwcook »

alienjesus wrote:I voted N64 in the end, but for me, this gen is the hardest to pick between. The n64 has some of myall-time favourite games, but the cult classics on saturn are of very high quality (and price, and are often stuck in japanese..) and the playstation library is so huge tht surely anyone should be able to find something they enjoy.

The Nintendo vs Sega debate is always tricky for me. Ultimately, I would vote nintendo over sega marginally in each generation (except game gear vs game boy - the game gear is ok, but it just doesnt compare to the game boys library). I love the SMS, but ultimately the NES just has more great games to offer due to a bigger library. I love the Mega Drive, but I feel the big name SNES games have generally aged better than the MD games. Whilst I love the dreamcast, its probably the easiest pick for me. The gamecubes extra years of retail and amazing first party releases completely topped the competition for me that gen, even though there's plenty to love on the other consoles too. With the dreamcast, I kinda feel that there were some great games, but they do generally all feel like early releases, as if the system wasnt used to its full yet. Which, tbf, it probably wasnt.

See, the thing I love about this generation is that it had a totally different dynamic between Big N and Sega. Sony entering the game changed everything. Yes Sega and Nintendo were still competing, but they were both the underdogs trying to deal with a loss of main 3rd party support and targeting a new demographic.

I think the Nintendo 64 had the most unique games because of this divide though. The Saturn had a lot of games that were ported to the Playstation too. With the majority of the 3rd party games the same between platforms, Sony won that simply on 3d alone.

Nintendo didn't have those ports because it was cart based I think. It was a disadvantage, but it garnered some awesome must-play exclusive games because of it.
Jonesy47
16-bit

Post by Jonesy47 »

The saturn for how many amazing 2D games it had. I loves me some 2D. It's only downfall may have been the fact that many of those greats never came stateside, which may be why I have more fond memories of the 64. In my later years, after having played the hidden import-only gems, the Saturn definitely wins out.
Systems: ATARI 2600 - NES - FAMICOM - SNES - N64 - GC - WII - GENESIS - SEGACD - SATURN - DREAMCAST - PSX - PS2 - PS3 - XBOX - XBOX 360 - GB - GBC - GBA - DS - PSP - NEOGEOPOCKET
l0whit07
64-bit

Post by l0whit07 »

For me its the N64, always has been.

This was the very first system I bought with my own money. Saved forever to get it. Got the edition that came with the extra Atomic Purple controller. I didn't have much money for games, so I spent so much time playing SM64, Goldeneye, Mario kart, WCW vs. NWO, and...... Wave Race I think was the other game I had.

This was at my mom's house....at my dad's, I had begged and begged for a PS1 for Christmas. Woke up Christmas morning and had a Sega Saturn. I was like WTF! I had never even heard of the Sega Saturn (I was like 10). It came bundled with Virtua Cop/Virtua Fighter/Daytona USA. I also got Sonic 3D Blast with it. I spent quite a bit of time with that console, but never much cared for it. I've repurchased the system a couple other times trying to get in to it and I just can't. Too much Sega :).

So this one isn't even close for me. N64 miles ahead. Plus SM64 is my favorite game.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

saturn, import list destroys!
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
Flake

Post by Flake »

Bradtemple87 wrote:saturn, import list destroys!

Yeah, I think anyone that says the Saturn was lacking for anything hasn't checked the import list. My Saturn? 3 US games. 12 JP games.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Pichu
128-bit

Post by Pichu »

Yeah, I'm like one of 3 people in the world who actually....likes the N64 controller....

*gasps* :lol:

Also, it was a pretty hard choice, I've been to a friends house recently, and he has a Saturn, so I finally got to experience some of its games. (No NiGHTS or imports though...)

They are both fantastic systems.
flamepanther
Next-Gen

Post by flamepanther »

Pichu wrote:Yeah, I'm like one of 3 people in the world who actually....likes the N64 controller....
I must be number two or three in this thread alone, so I guess we're all accounted for here? ;)

I'm in the really rare group that's never had an N64 analog stick wear out, despite heavy use!
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

flamepanther wrote:
Pichu wrote:Yeah, I'm like one of 3 people in the world who actually....likes the N64 controller....
I must be number two or three in this thread alone, so I guess we're all accounted for here? ;)

I'm in the really rare group that's never had an N64 analog stick wear out, despite heavy use!

I'm the same for both!
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)