Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Orange Box for my son?

by J T Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:28 pm

I'm just curious, but why are you more concerned about sexual content and vulgarity than violent content?

I know a lot people are similar, but it has never made any sense to me. Personally, when I have a child I will be much more concerned about him/her avoiding violence than vulgarity or sex. I see vulgarity as just not being classy, sexual activity as not inherently evil, but having high stakes consequences, and violence as immoral. I want to be clear of that hierarchy with my children, so I don't intend to care so much about them viewing shows with curse words or sex, but I want to be a bit more restrictive about violent content.

I know your viewpoint is the more common one. It just has never made sense to me and I'm trying to understand from someone that thinks that way. What is the rationale for being more concerned about sex and vulgarity than violence in media that children are exposed to?
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:38 pm

dsheinem wrote:http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=105554

Ctrl-F found no Fuck

I said it was from either Episode 1 or Episode 2. I wasn't sure, I can't remember. Both of which are included in the Orange Box.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:59 pm

J T wrote:I'm just curious, but why are you more concerned about sexual content and vulgarity than violent content?

I know a lot people are similar, but it has never made any sense to me. Personally, when I have a child I will be much more concerned about him/her avoiding violence than vulgarity or sex. I see vulgarity as just not being classy, sexual activity as not inherently evil, but having high stakes consequences, and violence as immoral. I want to be clear of that hierarchy with my children, so I don't intend to care so much about them viewing shows with curse words or sex, but I want to be a bit more restrictive about violent content.

I know your viewpoint is the more common one. It just has never made sense to me and I'm trying to understand from someone that thinks that way. What is the rationale for being more concerned about sex and vulgarity than violence in media that children are exposed to?

I also never understood that. People in the US made such a huge fuss over the hot coffee mini game in GTA SA. How the fuck is having sex (no rape or brutality involved) worse than ANYTHING you could do in that game?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:30 pm

J T wrote:I'm just curious, but why are you more concerned about sexual content and vulgarity than violent content?

That is a good point and in theory I agree with you. The problem is that society here in the US does not. If I give him a game or movie with sex in it and he goes to school or somewhere else talking about it then I am likely to have child protective services on my doorstep. As much of a skewed value system as it is, it just isn't the same with violent content. I am concerned with realistic violence though as I stated. Vulgarity isn't such a big deal but I don't want him making a habit of throwing around F bombs at 11 years old either...as you said it just isn't very classy.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:36 pm

jp1 wrote: I am concerned with realistic violence though as I stated. Vulgarity isn't such a big deal but I don't want him making a habit of throwing around F bombs at 11 years old either...as you said it just isn't very classy.

You shoot plenty and I mean plenty of real people in Half Life, so yeah it does have realistic violence. As I've said better wait 2 more years before letting him play it.

And don't worry about the vulgarity thing. It has more to do with how a kid is raised. My cousins know just about every swear cause they hear them from just about everywhere (TV/people in the street/people talking about politicians :lol: ), but we tell them that kids shouldn't use these words and only adults should, and they never swear.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:43 pm

It has also become increasingly difficult to get the type of games he wants without that content. Golden Axe for example was one of his favorite games on the genesis and I thought he might like the new version on the 360 but it has an "M" rating for language, sexual content, violence, etc...It is the same thing with Ninja Gaiden. I realize the games already contained a level of violence but it has been boosted on the current gen and apparently it is now almost a requirement to include sex or nudity in every game. He has very little interest in things like Viva Pinata or other family friendly games.

I almost regret going with the 360 for him instead of the Wii because my other son (8 years old) has the Wii and is never short on suitable games to choose from.
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:07 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
jp1 wrote: I am concerned with realistic violence though as I stated. Vulgarity isn't such a big deal but I don't want him making a habit of throwing around F bombs at 11 years old either...as you said it just isn't very classy.

You shoot plenty and I mean plenty of real people in Half Life, so yeah it does have realistic violence. As I've said better wait 2 more years before letting him play it.

And don't worry about the vulgarity thing. It has more to do with how a kid is raised. My cousins know just about every swear cause they hear them from just about everywhere (TV/people in the street/people talking about politicians :lol: ), but we tell them that kids shouldn't use these words and only adults should, and they never swear.

I was allowed to swear as a kid. My parents swore. A lot. I don't swear where it's not appropriate. I was told to tone it down if I was just going "fuck this fuck that, fucking shit twatting fucking arse-hole" of course. I never swore in front of my grandparents though. Never have. I've always had a mature relationship with my mother which helped with relating to older people, now the vast majority of my friends are older and in their 30-40s. Never had an issue talking to my mother about anything from sex to drugs, anything. That's how I want to be if I ever have kids. I just can't see it being a constructive environment to grow up in where everything is censored. That's not the world we live in, you're going to get a bit of a shock when you grow up like that and then enter the real world. If you don't have a solid grounding in reality you're going to make some pretty poor decisions when you're given freedom. I've seen it happen so often with the 'rich kids' at University. Making poor judgement after poor judgement out of sheer naivety. I'm glad I had the opportunity to make those mistakes myself when I was little when the stakes aren't as high.

I think I rambled a bit there. Never mind.

jp1 wrote:It has also become increasingly difficult to get the type of games he wants without that content. Golden Axe for example was one of his favorite games on the genesis and I thought he might like the new version on the 360 but it has an "M" rating for language, sexual content, violence, etc...It is the same thing with Ninja Gaiden. I realize the games already contained a level of violence but it has been boosted on the current gen and apparently it is now almost a requirement to include sex or nudity in every game. He has very little interest in things like Viva Pinata or other family friendly games.

I almost regret going with the 360 for him instead of the Wii because my other son (8 years old) has the Wii and is never short on suitable games to choose from.

I think that's more to do with the increase in fidelity of modern systems. Golden Axe, Streets of Rage etc are all pretty violent games when you get down to brass tacks. You're running round beating the crap out of people/monsters. When you increase fidelity you're seeing the same mechanics but it would look awful goofy if when you hit people/monsters that your weapons go straight through them and they fall on the floor comically and then just disappear. It was excused when the systems simply couldn't handle the physics of it, not it's almost required unless you have some pretty decent mechanic that hides it. Like they explode into pixels or coins or something equally surreal.

I think the key factor here is, games aren't surreal anymore, less and less is left to your imagination as we progress in generations of increasing fidelity.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:40 pm

I personally wouldn't feel right letting an 11-year old play any game on The Orange Box except Portal, and maybe Team Fortress 2 with chat turned off. I think a 13-14 year old would be mature enough to handle it, but no one younger than that.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
Return to General Gaming