Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
jp1
Next-Gen

Orange Box for my son?

by jp1 Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:11 pm

I see the "M" rating but since Oblivion is rated "M" as well and doesn't have anything very inappropriate in it I am wondering what type of content is contained in the Orange Box games that earns it such a rating.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Orange Box for my son?

by ZeroAX Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:21 pm

how old is your son? If he's over 13-14 I don't think there's a problem with him playing it.

Anyway there is mostly blood and gun violence. Some small kids might also be afraid of the head crabs and head crab zombies I guess.

BTW over here it's 16+ if you want a second opinion on the age rating.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:33 pm

He is 11.

I'm not too concerned with violence as long as it isn't too graphic and realistic. The sexual content concerns me and so does the language if it is heavy.

I don't remember much in half-life but then I didn't play it that much and I heard portal was not bad so I'm guessing team fortress is the main offender?
Ack

by Ack Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:39 pm

jp1 wrote:He is 11.

I'm not too concerned with violence as long as it isn't too graphic and realistic. The sexual content concerns me and so does the language if it is heavy.

I don't remember much in half-life but then I didn't play it that much and I heard portal was not bad so I'm guessing team fortress is the main offender?

If you're more concerned about sexual content, then the Orange Box wouldn't be a bad choice, as there really isn't very much. I don't remember much in the way of swearing either, though you may find some instances of it. That's not saying anything about what you'll find in online multiplayer, but really, that comes with the territory of online gaming these days anyway.

Now the gibbing in the game might bother you, as it does lead to a bit of gore, but honestly the game's old enough that it makes me laugh at this point. While they are FPS titles, so expect some level of violence to be present constantly, it's no where near something like, say, Doom 3.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
jp1
Next-Gen

by jp1 Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks guys.

So I could expect it to be less graphic than something like Call of Duty?

Is the violence usually against human characters or is it Sci-fi or fantasy? This makes a big difference for me.

Basically if there is going to be anything extremely prolific like someone's face half blown off I'm not crazy about the idea of letting him have it. There is some blood in Oblivion and the corpse stays behind but it isn't mangled and realistic so I'm ok with that type of thing.

His xbox 360 doesn't go online and won't go online for quite a while yet so no worries in that regard.

It's ok if it drops an occasional four letter word as long as it isn't the f bomb. Unfortunately, he hears some of those from me on occasion so it would be a little hypocritical to ban him from a game because of it.

The Orange Box caught my eye because it seems like such a great deal and I didn't think it was one of the harsher games in the genre if anyone has any other suggestions based on the criteria I would love to hear them. There is a lot of "T" and "M" rated content on the 360 so it makes it tough to know what to get him.
nickfil
Next-Gen

by nickfil Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:55 pm

For sure, less gory than COD. This is how scary and gory it gets. Pretty tame, but i don't know your son. If not now, then in a year or two he'll be fine to play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5B89UOK8iA
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:02 pm

I really don't think a 11 year old should play the Orange Box, except if he only plays Portal.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Breetai
Next-Gen

by Breetai Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:32 pm

I can't think of any heavy swearing in it, but I haven't played through Half Life 2 (or the 2 episodes that follow) in a few years. It wouldn't more more than occasional, though. It would very much fit in with the plot of the story.

Most of the violence is the main character fighting the enemy humans or aliens/zombies. There are some bloody scenes, but nowhere near what you'd find in Call of Duty games.

Why not watch some walkthrough videos of Half Life 2 (Episode 2 as well), and scan them for violent scenes?

Here is one of the more violent scenes I remember. It is not really worse than any PG-13 movie you'd see.

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT IN THE VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpf4LliN0Nc

Half Life 2 is certainly tamer than your son would probably see with his peers at school!
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:33 pm

jp1 wrote:Thanks guys.

So I could expect it to be less graphic than something like Call of Duty?

Is the violence usually against human characters or is it Sci-fi or fantasy? This makes a big difference for me.

Basically if there is going to be anything extremely prolific like someone's face half blown off I'm not crazy about the idea of letting him have it. There is some blood in Oblivion and the corpse stays behind but it isn't mangled and realistic so I'm ok with that type of thing.

His xbox 360 doesn't go online and won't go online for quite a while yet so no worries in that regard.

It's ok if it drops an occasional four letter word as long as it isn't the f bomb. Unfortunately, he hears some of those from me on occasion so it would be a little hypocritical to ban him from a game because of it.

The Orange Box caught my eye because it seems like such a great deal and I didn't think it was one of the harsher games in the genre if anyone has any other suggestions based on the criteria I would love to hear them. There is a lot of "T" and "M" rated content on the 360 so it makes it tough to know what to get him.

In Half Life 2, the only 'gibbing' occurs on the monsters. Even that is pretty subtle like the head crab being blown off. No 'human' enemies (IE the Combine) have exploding limbs or anything, when they die they just rag-doll. With one exception...

Ravenholme.

Ravenholme is pretty scary, I know I was pretty scared when I played the game when I was 16 or whatever age I was when it came out (I think I aged a couple of years waiting for the damn thing to decrypt on the day of launch, mind you). So you might want to play that part for him, since it's only a small part of the game and you aren't really missing anything story wise by having him skip it - while I think of it, what the hell is the point in Ravenholme besides being a vehicle for the physics based puzzles and the saw blade dismemberment? Just so you know, Ravenholme comes just after your first encounter with Dog (I think - it's been a while) and Morgan Freeman - I mean Eli Vance - which is after Water Hazard? Is that right?.

AFAIK there is no sexual content in Half Life 2, at all. Or did I miss something? I mean sure you can walk around staring at Alyx's arse all day long but it's not exactly implied. I think the swearing is entirely from Barney, he drops an f-bomb at one point in episode 1 or maybe 2 I can't remember. I think he has a few "god-damnits" as well.

Hope that helps.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
swiftzx
Next-Gen

by swiftzx Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:36 pm

jp1 wrote:He is 11.

Heck, my 10 year old cousin and I play Timesplitters and a few other M games but your son should be just fine.
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
Return to General Gaming