12 games to play before you die

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RBT
24-bit

12 games to play before you die

Post by RBT »

http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/bl ... u-die.html

Just read this on Yahoo UK anyone agree with the list?
gennss
128-bit

Re: 12 games to play before you die

Post by gennss »

ugh, terrible list. started off well. Seriously, Halo?
--
Gennss
--
Ack

Post by Ack »

RBT wrote:http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/18355/12-games-to-play-before-you-die.html

Just read this on Yahoo UK anyone agree with the list?

Not at all. I was surprised by some of the earlier choices, particularly Bubble Bobble, but I was happy it made the list. Punch Out was also strange, but I still support the idea of playing it. Super Mario World was almost a given and an excellent representation of the 2D platformer, though I know some folks would say Mario Bros. 3 would be a better choice.

Tomb Raider was an interesting choice. It's not something I'd say is still particularly relevant, but as far as the advent of the 3rd person shooter with 3D platforming elements...sure, good choice. I also Ocarina of Time as a good choice for both its era, genre, series, and console. Crazy Taxi on the other hand...I'm not quite sure if it is a must play. I admit it's an entertaining game, but...eh, I don't know.

Then they got to modern games, and I felt the list went to shit. WoW...well, I can see from a popularity standpoint why folks would be interested, but in terms of innovation for MMOs...there are better choices for more original ideas. Mario Kart Wii is ok, but I have trouble saying it's a must play when compared to the rest of the Mario Kart series.

And then we got to the first person shooters, and I shook my head and threw my hands up in disgust. They may be good games, but I feel there are far more vital, interesting, and important FPS games. I'd much rather have seen GoldenEye 007 and Halo, if you want console-specific FPS.

I don't have much to say either way about Gran Tourismo 5, as I don't play many realistic racing games.

Super Street Fighter IV would be a much better choice if they lobbed off two digits from the end number and dropped the Super subtitle for Turbo instead.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

it's kind of a meh list. SFIV mentioned rather than SFII? And don't get me wrong, I like Bobble Bobble as much as the next guy, but it wouldn't end up on my own personal list. As far as WOW and Modern Warfare and these newer games... I don't know. Oh, and Occarina is over-rated. (Yeah I went there). As far as non-2D Zelda's go, I'm a Wind Waker kind of guy.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

SFIV ...bleh.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

No shmups. FAIL.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
WrathOskvro
64-bit

Post by WrathOskvro »

...World Of Warcraft?... Gran Turismo 5?

lol..no.
Going through deleting inactive accounts of mine as a security precaution. No hard feelings, but admins, if it is possible to delete this account, please do so. Thanks in advance!
coastercrazy10
64-bit

Post by coastercrazy10 »

Cliche I know but what about Earthbound? Any of the other unbelievable RPGs on SNES like Secret of Mana, Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, FFII, FFIII, ActRaiser, ActRaiser 2, EVO? Instead they choose Halo: Reach?

wat

I know that game lists are subjective but I hate when gaming "authorities" try to make a lists like this. The majority of readers don't care much for the retro games that defined generations and clearly the latter half of the list catered to them. Now if they did a top 12 for each system or something like that we might be able to have a good conversation about it. But this list is just atrocious.

-CC10

A top 12 list of games that at least one of should have appeared in that list:

Gunstar Heroes
Ikaruga
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Earthbound
Shadow of the Colossus / Ico
Final Fantasy VII (not because it's great, but because it's iconic)
Phantasy Star
Yoshi's Island
EVO Search for Eden
Final Fantasy III
Chrono Trigger
Radient Silvergun

I went a bit SNES and RPG happy but these games are iconic, innovative, and breathtaking in their own ways. Call it a wishlist, but it's definitely a list I'm hoping to have played through one day.
Last edited by coastercrazy10 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

I agree wholeheartedly with World of Warcraft. But none of the others. Personally I think the first Halo should have replaced Reach and The Original Super Mario Bros. should have replaced Super Mario World. Call of Duty 4 definitely should have replaced Modern Warfare 2. Then Metal Gear Solid should have been somewhere along with Resident Evil 4 and perhaps also the original Resident Evil but it's optional. Silent Hill 1 or 2. Maybe Fallout 3 and Bioshock. GTA 3 probably. Basically I think a list like this shouldn't be like a "best games ever list" but a "games that made the most impact list." Either way I personally don't think the list was very well constructed.

EDIT: Final Fantasy VI and or VII. Street Fighter II instead of IV and maybe also Marvel Vs. Capcom 2? I'm not familiar with fighting games so I wouldn't really know.
Last edited by MrEco on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

Yet another article riding the hype wave of recent games. *Yawn*
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^