Ikaruga
Skies of Arcadia
Wasteland
Loderunner
Breakout
Civilization II
Doom
Monkey Island

Miss any of these and you are an uncultured rube.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Riqz85
64-bit

Re: 12 games to play before you die

by Riqz85 Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:07 pm

So.... I can die now?
saturnfan
128-bit

by saturnfan Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:06 pm

I was really happy Tomb Raider, made the list. I was a HUGE fan when that game came out, so many great memories. Don't be a hater. Otherwise, the list was awful. Here are some random thoughts:

Why would I have to play GT5 before I die? I don't want to play it now.

If they wanted to go with Halo, they should have picked the first one, not the one that came out 2 months ago. But Doom, Golden eye, or another classic fps would have been more appropriate.

At some point in our life, WoW servers wont exist, so it was a stupid choice.
Incognito D
128-bit

by Incognito D Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:39 pm

Some of my thoughts:

- Arguably one of the worst versions of Mario Kart in MKWii.
- Crazy Taxi (a fun arcade game for 5 minutes but I never really saw the huge appeal). There's one game on the DC that changed my life and it's Shenmue
- Gran Turismo 5 - a game which is currently attracting a lot of criticism, let alone the fact that I find GT4 incredibly dull.
- Punch Out!? hardly the most obvious NES choice. Super Mario Bros or Zelda? Mega Man 2?
- Halo, CoD = good games? sure, but hardly in the I MUST PLAY THESE BEFORE I DIE category

The only 2 games on that list that truly warrant their spots, are:

- Mario World
- Ocarina of Time
- perhaps Tomb Raider although I must admit I've never played it :oops:

Where is:

- Goldeneye (revolutionised FPS on console)
- Mario 64 (revolutionised 3D games in general)
- Shenmue (a level of scope never before seen in games - 10 years ahead of its time)
- Donkey Kong Country 2
- Pokemon Red/Blue (most addictive and iconic Game Boy game ever)
- Metal Gear Solid 1/2/3 (introduced cinematic games to the masses)
- Jet Set Radio (practically invented cel-shading)

Sorry if that came across as a rant. I'm pretty tired.
Mr.White555
64-bit

by Mr.White555 Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:26 pm

Making a list this short is sort of ridiculous for this topic. Hell at least make it 100 games or even 1001 like the movie list. There is a complete utter lack of genres while there are two fps's and THREE racing games. There are also THREE games from this year?! So was this year the greatest year for games? Bah this list is a crock of shit. Having the latest installment of a series on a list like this will make the list obsolete in five years...

Worst list ever!
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:31 pm

That lists sucks. Somebody kill the author. He played all of those games, so he must be ready to die. There is nothing left for him to live for. Also, we are far past the point of calling the PS3/360 "next-gen" consoles. It's not 2006 anymore.
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:00 pm

It was sort of unspoken, but there seemed to be an unwritten rule in compiling the list that every game needed to be available currently or in the near future to purchase new. I think only Tomb Raider didn't meet that requirement, and they still plugged the latest one in their description.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Droid party
Next-Gen

by Droid party Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Here's my mega super awesome list:
Halo
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo Wars
Halo : odst
Halo Reach around
Gears of war
Gears of war2
COD
COD 2
COD 3
COD 4 mw

With such awesome games to keep my 13 year old mind satiated, why would I ever play the rest of the garbage on the list?

Although seriously, how did Bubble bobble make the list? I mean it's a cool game but I don't feel it's worthy of a place in this list.
JT wrote:Yeah, like vampire aliens invade and hit us all with a ray beam that paralyzes all of our arms. The only way to deactivate the ray beam and fight back the vampire alien threat is with a complicated series of foot patterns on the device's control board that looks remarkably like a DDR pad. We will all praise this man for saving our lives and buy him a mountain of stuffed animals.
arion
Next-Gen

by arion Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:28 pm

You can't make a list with a name like that and include recent titles.

The games on the list must have already stood the test of time and even then only the best of the best may apply.

Games you have to play before you die is a bold statement and one that should not be taken lightly by adding games that are popular right now. They might be forgotten in a year or two or looked back on as a serious mistake.

In short screw that shallow advertisement :x
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:55 pm

Tough to do something like this with only 12 games. I'd probably bump it up to 20(12 is a stupid number for a list anyway) and it'd probably be:

1. Ico(THE games as art game. EVERY gamer should play a Team Ico game)
2. Super Mario Bros.(Zelda and Mario stand above all other first party Nintendo games for cultural importance and this one saved the gaming industry)
3. Tetris(Possibly the most accesible and popular puzzle game of all time)
4. A Street Fighter game(No other series has ever been as important for the fighter genre)
5. A Zelda game(take your pick, I'd go for the original or Link to the Past)
6. Final Fantasy 7(I know many disagree, but FF is THE rpg franchise and while 7 isn't my favorite one, it has been the most important installment in the series)
7. Sonic 3 & Knuckles(The only Sonic game anyone needs to play)
8. Secret of Monkey Island(PC gaming isn't for everyone, but anyone can enjoy a SCUMM game)
9. Halo(You can hate it all you want, but as far as console gaming goes, it's the most important shooter ever)
10. Tomb Raider Anniversary. The original TR is a classic and this version brings it to modern standards. Lara Croft is too big a cultural icon to not have a TR game on this list
11. Grand Theft Auto III(Sandbox games began here and EVERYONE knows about the GTA series. Everyone should try at least one.)
12. Mega Man 2(It's Mega Man for crying out loud! Gaming icon)
13. Castlevania Symphony of the Night and Dracula X Rondo of Blood
14. Metal Gear Solid(Only because Hideo's following in the game industry rivals Miyamoto. I think he's a bit overrated though)
15. Resident Evil Remake(Survival Horror owes everything to the RE series)
16. Devil May Cry(Everything from Ninja Gaiden to God of War owes this game a debt of gratitude)
17. Final Fight(I had to put a beat'em up on here
18. Guitar Hero or DDR(The only real music games anyone needs to play as far as cultural importance)
19. A Contra or Metal Slug game
20. Radiant Silvergun or any Cave shooter

I'm sure that list still leaves off a ton of classic, important titles
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Return to General Gaming