Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
JordanPlayer
64-bit

Re: This is getting a little ridiculous now...

by JordanPlayer Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:14 pm

ZeroAX wrote:um guys, I don't know if you've noticed, but now that console games have patches, publishers have started releasing games in beta form on consoles as well.

Didn't Alien vs Predator have a horrible bug which was never fixed cause it didn't sell well?
It seems developers have become lazier now that tons of consoles are hooked up to the internet. My view: "Why waste time and money bug testing when you can get the game out earlier and save money, then patch it later?" For the most part at least I can commend Nintendo first party games for being thoroughly bug tested. Another issue I have is that I believe some studios skip QC and bug testing and go straight to pumping out DLC (just put it in the damn game in the first place). Speaking of that issue with AvP; at least the PC would have a patch... even if the developer didn't supply it I'm sure the community would be able to :lol:
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:56 pm

the most ridiculous thing about this thread is that final fantasy games are still being made into MMOs.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
corn619
Next-Gen

by corn619 Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:12 pm

General_Norris wrote:
corn619 wrote:Thats why I avoid the PC platform like the plague

I have been playing PC games for 20 years and I have never had any problems like the OP did. Even then a rushed game is a rushed game and judging the entire platform for that makes no sense.
CaptainWeasel wrote:Silly boy, I thought you were a gamer. :P

The problems are just for FFXIV. It's absolute trash. I tried playing it when it was open a couple weeks before release, I couldn't even get the client downloaded with their terrible hybrid of a downloader/torrent. It never actually downloaded data over 5 kb/s, but the upload was always over 50 kb/s, rendering my internet unusable when it was "downloading". I watched my buddy play for all of about ten minutes after he downloaded it over two days. Horrendous GUI, too many players with not enough mobs. That's all we got out of it. SquareEnix didn't give a shit about any form of quality with this one..
First off, I'm not judging a entire platform from his experience alone. And I don't want to turn this thread into a console vs PC debate. Its just I've had constant issues in the past with PC gaming. From OS compatibly to hardware being outdated frequently, long installs, intrusive DRM and having to adjusting settings so the game will run right. These are a few of the issues I've had in the past. I just find the PC platform a pain in the ass and a general money pit. Maybe its just me, but I like the simplicity of the turn on and play mechanic. I hope that makes more sense for ya.
Last edited by corn619 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffro11
128-bit

by jeffro11 Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:14 pm

Buy cheap hardware, you get a cheap experience. Haven't had to upgrade for 3-4 years over here. 8800's still rockin it.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:18 pm

I just don't get the money pit debate, when PC games are 20-40 € cheaper than their console version + free multiplayer and most times free DLC (though I can understand you not caring for those last 2.

on the other hand, the op's main problem seamed to be the defective disks, which well can happen on any platform.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:29 pm

corn619 wrote:First off, I'm not judging a entire platform from his experience alone. And I don't want to turn this thread into a console vs PC debate. Its just I've had constant issues in the past with PC gaming. From OS compatibly to hardware being outdated frequently, long installs, intrusive DRM and having to adjusting settings so the game will run right. These are a few of the issues I've had in the past. I just find the PC platform a pain in the ass and a general money pit. Maybe its just me, but I like the simplicity of the turn on and play mechanic. I hope that makes more sense for ya.

Nah, I know what you mean. I can't think of an example, but I know I'm the same way with things. I'd rather just go with what I know rather than have to deal with something I'm not sure about.

But hardware is only gonna be outdated quickly if it isn't too good to begin with. I know there's always the price vs performance issue, but if you get decent hardware it should last you a good amount of time (I'm hoping to get 10 years out of my current build). If you're into PC gaming, this is something you know. And it doesn't mean having to spend $300 on a new video card every few months. If playing current games on PC is what you want to do, then you buy a PC accordingly. You can't expect to have any old PC and be able to run every game perfectly on it.

As far as worrying about setting up the game to run good, that's just another thing that will go along with outdated hardware. But again, if you're into PC gaming, this isn't anything to fret over. In fact, it's a huge bonus if you have the hardware. My friend was telling me how World at War didn't look as good as Modern Warefare on his 360. I had him check out World at War on my PC, everything at full settings, and he was amazed how much better it looked.

And no, I'm not a hardcore PC guy.
corn619
Next-Gen

by corn619 Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:35 pm

ZeroAX wrote:I just don't get the money pit debate, when PC games are 20-40 € cheaper than their console version + free multiplayer and most times free DLC (though I can understand you not caring for those last 2.

on the other hand, the op's main problem seamed to be the defective disks, which well can happen on any platform.
Do a cost comparison with a PS3 or 360 against decent or a top of the line gaming PC. See what I mean? Anyways my, original post said "I" like avoid the platform. Not "everyone" should avoid the platform. Play what makes you happy!
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:46 pm

Yeah, but you get what you pay for. A computer can do much more than a game console.
jeffro11
128-bit

by jeffro11 Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:48 pm

Internet, racketboy, modding, mapping, game development. You name it I can do it on a PC.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:57 pm

corn619 wrote: Do a cost comparison with a PS3 or 360 against decent or a top of the line gaming PC. See what I mean? Anyways my, original post said "I" like avoid the platform. Not "everyone" should avoid the platform. Play what makes you happy!

bought my gaming pc 10 months ago for 700€. 150€ of that went to massive HDs for infinite tv shows/anime/music/steam games installed. My PS3 cost me 400€.

I currently have 20 games on my PS3. If we use the smaller price difference, that is 400€ I would have saved had I bought those games on PC.

Dude, I really am not arguing with you. PC can be a pain from time to time. But the games on PCs are so unique, so their own thing, that you really shouldn't miss out on them if you like video games in general.

If you ever need help picking a gaming rig, ask us here. If you ever have a problem with a game ask away. I'll google like crazy to find a way to help you.

Also just 2 pointers about system requirements scaring you off pc gaming.

1)Spec requirements have really slowed down in the last 7-8 years. Things are nowhere near as crazy as in the 90s.

2)People should really learn to deactivate those stupid shadows when a game doesn't run smoothly on their computer. They almost never add anything to the gameplay experience, and are a major burden on your GPU
Last edited by ZeroAX on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Return to General Gaming