This is getting a little ridiculous now...

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
corn619
Next-Gen

Re: This is getting a little ridiculous now...

Post by corn619 »

Ziggy587 wrote:Yeah, but you get what you pay for. A computer can do much more than a game console.
If I were to buy a 360 and a decent netbook, it would still be much cheaper than most of the good gaming PCs I've seen that I would even consider buying. I know a great gaming PC can do more than a console, but you know how many times I would use those features? Zero, because I basically just use my current $300.00 PC for internet, GOG games and emulation thats it. For a person that will use all the features a full fledged gaming PC offers, then maybe spending thousands of dollars is worth it. For me however spending thousands on stuff I would never use doesn't make sense. Not to mention I barely have time to play these days, hence why I like the turn on and play mechanic. I'll say it again, I'm not saying PC gaming sucks, its just not for me. Play what makes you happy guys!
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

ok can someone please post some links to some American online stores. I don't get why you guys say computers are so freaking expensive. Specially since you are Apple's biggest market :lol:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

ZeroAX wrote:ok can someone please post some links to some American online stores. I don't get why you guys say computers are so freaking expensive. Specially since you are Apple's biggest market :lol:

iMacs cost $1100. On the low end.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

ZeroAX wrote:1)Spec requirements have really slowed down in the last 7-8 years. Things are nowhere near as crazy as in the 90s.

This. A combination of several factors has caused PC spec requirements to start to really plateau. A few PAX's ago there was even a panel on PC gaming and that was something that was brought up. Similar to the issue that JRPGs have seen, it's taking more and more money to produce the best graphics, and you get really bad diminishing returns on them. If you built a rig that could handle Crysis on high three years ago then it can still max out basically every game that's come out since. That was not the case 5-10 years ago, when hardware reqs were still increasing as fast as Moore's law.
ok can someone please post some links to some American online stores. I don't get why you guys say computers are so freaking expensive. Specially since you are Apple's biggest market

So Apple's cost $holyshit, but that's because you deserve to get reamed if you decide to go for an Apple desktop. If you're building your own PC you can get a very reasonable price, similar to what you were posting before. It's only if you are paying someone else to build your PC that you're going to get the shaft.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

YoshiEgg25 wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:ok can someone please post some links to some American online stores. I don't get why you guys say computers are so freaking expensive. Specially since you are Apple's biggest market :lol:

iMacs cost $1100. On the low end.

I know. Macs are very expensive compared to PCs here, so I'm trying to understand why so many American gamers keep talking about 300$ GPUs every 6 months. Are your PC parts that expensive?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/desktops.aspx If I were to ever spend the money on a decent gaming PC it would be Alienware.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

WTF, 12 gigs of ram????????????????? 6 freaking cores???????????????/

also there is really no reason to buy intel. AMD is cheaper, and what is more important motherboards that support AMD are much cheaper, plus AMD's sockets are much more future proof than intel's.

also those PC cases look expensive, and hideous. Who buys those ugly things?

dude those pcs are scam, in the sense that they won't be able to use their specs to the fullest for a freaking decade, and most of all, in 2 years they'll be worth 1/3 what they are asking for it now.

If you ever want a gaming pc, just throw me a PM. I'll look around and give you some advice. But yeah, Alienware seams to be a huge scam. No wonder Americans consider PC gaming so expensive.

god those cases are hideous. I'm going to the bathroom to throw up again.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, Alienware is a scam. But for some one that doesn't have the know-how to build their own machine? They're not all 6 core 12gig models, I don't think. I believe they have more down to earth models. I really don't know whats out there, as far as a prebuilt PC goes. I know you can get a private builder to do it for a lot cheaper. Honestly, I'll never buy a prebuilt PC again. I understand why people say PCs suck, but that's because pretty much any PC you can buy from a store really does suck. I'm not trying to say "I'm the best!" or anything, but after building my own PCs, I'll never buy prebuilt computer again. They're total shit.

But c'mon, really about Intel? Don't wanna turn this into an AMD vs Intel battle now, but has AMD made a CPU that rivals the i7 yet? I haven't been keeping up with new hardware lately.

corn619 wrote:If I were to buy a 360 and a decent netbook, it would still be much cheaper than most of the good gaming PCs I've seen that I would even consider buying.

Not a good argument. A netbook is hardly a computer. It's just a convenient way to get out to the internet. If you want to call it a computer, its a VERY LOW END computer. I praise them for what they are, but it's not a fair comparison. I could buy a PS1 for cheaper than a PS3, but I'm not gonna pretend they can do the same things. A computer is an investment, and it does more than gaming.

I get what you're saying, you're not into PC gaming and you only use a PC for the internet. That's totally fine.

ZeroAX wrote:so I'm trying to understand why so many American gamers keep talking about 300$ GPUs every 6 months

Who ever buys the next best video card every 6 months is retarded. I would NEVER spend $300 on a video card.
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

ZeroAX wrote:WTF, 12 gigs of ram????????????????? 6 freaking cores???????????????/

also there is really no reason to buy intel. AMD is cheaper, and what is more important motherboards that support AMD are much cheaper, plus AMD's sockets are much more future proof than intel's.

also those PC cases look expensive, and hideous. Who buys those ugly things?

dude those pcs are scam, in the sense that they won't be able to use their specs to the fullest for a freaking decade, and most of all, in 2 years they'll be worth 1/3 what they are asking for it now.

If you ever want a gaming pc, just throw me a PM. I'll look around and give you some advice. But yeah, Alienware seams to be a huge scam. No wonder Americans consider PC gaming so expensive.

god those cases are hideous. I'm going to the bathroom to throw up again.
Ziggy587 wrote:Not a good argument. A netbook is hardly a computer. It's just a convenient way to get out to the internet. If you want to call it a computer, its a VERY LOW END computer. I praise them for what they are, but it's not a fair comparison. I could buy a PS1 for cheaper than a PS3, but I'm not gonna pretend they can do the same things. A computer is an investment, and it does more than gaming.

I get what you're saying, you're not into PC gaming and you only use a PC for the internet. That's totally fine.
I'm no PC expert by any means, but I thought Alienware made great PCs. I thought about having my friend build me a gaming PC a while back but it was still going to cost around $600.00 to $700.00. And I would probably almost never use it. Like I said my gaming time is very limited so I make sure all of my time goes to playing and not dealing with the complexities of PC gaming. And Ziggy I'm not trying make arguement. I was just saying that a netbook and a PS3 would get way more use than a gaming PC in my house. Why would I pay say $900 for something I would never use? When I could pay say $600.00 for things that I use all the time? That was my point. In other words, why would I buy a Lamborghini when I never go over 40mph? A Civic would do me fine.
Last edited by corn619 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Ziggy587 wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:so I'm trying to understand why so many American gamers keep talking about 300$ GPUs every 6 months

Who ever buys the next best video card every 6 months is retarded. I would NEVER spend $300 on a video card.

Hmm, three hundred is the limit for my video card budget. I do keep my video cards for about 1 and a half to two years, though.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|