Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ReddMcKnight
128-bit

This is getting a little ridiculous now...

by ReddMcKnight Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:37 pm

OK. I picked up Final Fantasy XIV Online last night at my local Target Store. I get home, only to find I have a defective disc. No problem so far. I'll just exchange it, so I did, came home, and lo and behold! That disc is defective too! After tinkering with it ALL...NIGHT...LONG...I finally got it installed at about 7 AM. Irritated now. Patch updates the game 1st time fine, no problem. 2nd Patch...found out I gotta go through a REALLY complicated process to make it work. Pissed now...

NOW (1:30 PM): I have been waiting THAT long to try this game, and I'm starting to think it might not be worth it. Still, if the game is good enough, I'll forget it all.

ANYWAY...Sorry to rant. Just figured I'd save a bunch of other MMO Lovers (if any are on Racketboy) a LOT of trouble. Have any of you had experiences like this with any other kind of game? Share your stories. I'm eager to hear them. :)
Made by the extremely talented MrAfterFx!
My Blog, Hardcore Old-School: http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/ReddMcKnight/
corn619
Next-Gen

Re: This is getting a little ridiculous now...

by corn619 Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Thats why I avoid the PC platform like the plague. Although I do like the simple to use GOG and PC indie scene though.
gennss
128-bit

by gennss Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:48 pm

the news says nothing good about that game.
--
Gennss
--
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

by elmagicochrisg Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:53 pm

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
ReddMcKnight
128-bit

by ReddMcKnight Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:56 pm

1:56 PM: Finally starting the damn game. Expect a review in the Reviews part of the Forum later.
Flake

by Flake Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:57 pm

I can appreciate your rant. Quality control has definitely gone out the fricking door. Of course, I can't blame publishers for sacrificing QC on the supply side since the backlash always gets shifted onto the retailers.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Xionraserei1
64-bit

by Xionraserei1 Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:12 pm

I did the Alpha and Beta tests for the game. I really liked Alpha, was fun, felt a little like FF11. Then they added a ton of WoW elements and RUSHED the game out the door. I felt like they needed like 3-4 months of development before release back in September but they were just hell bent on beating Cataclysm and establishing players.

In my mind they bombed with FF14 and I was super dissapointed. This is coming from someone who played FFXI for 6-7 years and tested FF14. There no Auction Houses, Everything needs to be crafted, and it was just boring. Theres a limits on how you play and when you play your character classes and quests. I know a ton of people who just went back to FF11 after they played 14. They need to start listening to players or just take the game offline and refund people.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:20 pm

corn619 wrote:Thats why I avoid the PC platform like the plague

I have been playing PC games for 20 years and I have never had any problems like the OP did. Even then a rushed game is a rushed game and judging the entire platform for that makes no sense.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:29 pm

That reminds me of something similar. I was in Wal Mart and they had one copy left of Doom 3 and I wanted it. The box had some shelf damage, but whatever, I still wanted it. So I buy it and go home to install it. I open the box and notice the keyboard layout paper was rolled up, so clearly some one opened it and returned it. I try to stay positive, and go to installing it. Then I find out the first disc is defective. Can't get it to work for anything. So it was returned, and they put it back on the shelf. :evil:

So I go back to Wal Mart to return it a few days later. I explain to them exactly what happen because I don't want it ending up back on the shelf again (so some one else can buy it and go through the same deal). I explain and the girl is like, "Well if you knew some one else already bought and returned it, then why did you buy it?" ::Charlie Brown face::

This part of my memory is a little fuzzy, I forget if they had another copy there or not. I might have picked up a different game or got another copy of Doom 3, can't remember. But eventually I DID get another copy of Doom 3. So I go to install it and I can't get it to work. I end up having to install it manual (copying all the files off the disc into the proper directories myself).

And while we're on the subject of funny things Wal Mart employees have said to me... I picked up Disturbed's Indestructible at Wal Mart when it came out. I go to the register wiht it and the girl looks at the CD...

http://www.quadra-tec.net/~floppie/blag ... ctible.jpg

...and says, "Dis...turb...bed. What are they, a band or something?" :lol: That's right, sound it out.
ReddMcKnight
128-bit

by ReddMcKnight Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:31 pm

Well, after adjusting the settings numerous times, I have found that my computer can barely handle this game. Whoo, big surprise. :P Anyway, there will be no review until I upgrade my machine at a later time. Ah, well. It'll be soon I think.
Return to General Gaming