Should I sell RGB cables in the Racketboy Store

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Re: Should I sell RGB cables in the Racketboy Store

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Limewater wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:
Limewater wrote:Unless a really cheap method of converting to component becomes available in the very near future, I have no interest in RGB cables.

There's a new X-RGB coming next year that can upconvert to full HD via HDMI and will be available under $250.

Thanks for the heads-up, but that's still an order of magnitude or two too much to generate any interest on my part.

If I have to say it once I've said it a million times; pay $30-$40 and you'll hate yourself for the end result, pay circa $200-ish and you'll always enjoy it.

No to mention it's the cheapest X-RGB ever created and the pricing still isn't finalized (hopefully it's a little cheaper!). Their main goal with this one is a globally affordable and market penetrating unit as it actually carries full English support and outputs over HDMI.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:If I have to say it once I've said it a million times; pay $30-$40 and you'll hate yourself for the end result, pay circa $200-ish and you'll always enjoy it.

I think that depends a lot on the item. For something as unimportant in the grand scheme of things as how good my video games look on my television, I'm not really willing to spend a lot of money. If an expensive solution is the only acceptable one availabe, I'll just do without.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Limewater wrote:
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:If I have to say it once I've said it a million times; pay $30-$40 and you'll hate yourself for the end result, pay circa $200-ish and you'll always enjoy it.

I think that depends a lot on the item. For something as unimportant in the grand scheme of things as how good my video games look on my television, I'm not really willing to spend a lot of money. If an expensive solution is the only acceptable one availabe, I'll just do without.

True, but if you're looking into using RGB then you're not exactly thinking cheap anymore.

Anything above S-Video, Component and HDMI is mostly prosumer and videophile market territory and things can get pretty pricey fast.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

CRTGAMER wrote:Euro RGB market
Do most newer Euro HDs support RGB SCART input? If thats the case, absolutely carry the Euro RGB SCART cables.

Yes, most decent TVs will have at least 2 RGB SCART sockets. Mine has 3 SCART but one isn't full RGB, the other two are.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

RGB is the shizzle! RGB and VGA were previous generations´ HDMI.
RGB for 240p
VGA for 480p
Go for it. Even though it might appeal most to Europeans. It would be good for Americans to look out for getting hold of a European tv just for RGB alone! RGB is retro heaven. Better to just get a normal video monitor (not a tv) which has RGB inputs.
Good idea.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
ChuChu Flamingo
64-bit

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

What I want is a RGB cable for my Sega Genesis that uses the SYNC pin and not composite sync. The cable I have right now uses composite sync and faint vertical lines are present. Can anyone here make one for me?

Im also quite confused on what SCART cable to use on a North Amerian Model 2 Sega Saturn.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:No to mention it's the cheapest X-RGB ever created and the pricing still isn't finalized (hopefully it's a little cheaper!). Their main goal with this one is a globally affordable and market penetrating unit as it actually carries full English support and outputs over HDMI.

Hmmm... I might have to look into getting this. It'll depend on if it's better than my current X-RGB3 in handling some of the signals (white flashes tend to desync the signal).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
retromangia
16-bit

Post by retromangia »

Can someone please recommend a good SCART to Component converter box? Anyone in Europe here ever use brands such as QED, Keene, or JS-Tech?

thanks for the help!

- Retromangia
ChuChu Flamingo
64-bit

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

CSY 2100 is what I hear being recommended. Although it doesn't support sound, you will have to add RCA jacks for it to do so. Or buy a Scart Splitter with RCA sound output
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

d123456 wrote:RGB is the shizzle! RGB and VGA were previous generations´ HDMI.
RGB for 240p
VGA for 480p
Go for it. Even though it might appeal most to Europeans. It would be good for Americans to look out for getting hold of a European tv just for RGB alone! RGB is retro heaven. Better to just get a normal video monitor (not a tv) which has RGB inputs.
Good idea.

Not worth getting a Euro TV in the US, the voltages are too different and the fact that getting an adapter for foreign electronics to make them work in the US next to impossible/more money than it's worth. (We literally have no choice in terms of adapters and voltage converters unless we pay extreme amounts of money for some industrial unit.)

Japanese electronics are the same plug, voltages and signal type so it's easy to import from there. Europe presents to many inconsistencies and general annoyances in the US in terms of imports thanks to the amount of different standards, resolutions, voltages and other factors.

So yeah, in my opinion stocking RGB cables of the Japanese/NTSC variety for consoles is a great idea as it provides centralized access to a connection type that is often difficult to get for Americans and those in the western world who require the hookup.

Scart/PAL RGB cables for Europe are easily found EVERYWHERE online for cheap and have been done to death in my opinion. Not to mention the problem that shipping across the world to get them to someone who can actually use them in Europe or somewhere else provides.

Also, SCART/PAL RGB cables can't be used for X-RGB upconverters or any type of NTSC hookup in the Western/American world thanks to the way they're wired completely differently to Japanese/NTSC RGB cables.

Also, SCART cables are tough to get in a true RGB version. Japanese RGB cables are only designed to carry RGB and RGB alone. The SCART/Euro RGB cables can carry either RGB, Composite or S-Video signals (think HDMI) are often modified to carry only composite instead to be sold for cheaper. Basically they rig it to carry the cheapest signal and be manufactured in the most cost-cut way leading to quality control issues and difficulty finding true RGB SCART cables.
My Consoles: