Should I sell RGB cables in the Racketboy Store

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
racketboy
Site Admin

Should I sell RGB cables in the Racketboy Store

Post by racketboy »

Thinking of stocking RGB cables for the Saturn and the Nintendo consoles.
Do you think it would be a good idea?
I don't know anything about RGB -- but for us in the US, would they be practical at all?
(can you convert to Component or something better?)
BTW, they would sell for $5 or $6 USD
TheyCallMeTheSwede
128-bit

Re: Should I sell RGB cables in the Racketboy Store

Post by TheyCallMeTheSwede »

It will be good for people that have a television that does not have S-video, or at least people that did not know about S-video. I'd say go for it.
Top 101 Favorite Games of All Time

CURRENTLY OWNED: NES, SNES, GC, GB, GBA:SP, GEN, SAT, DC, PS2, PS3, PSP, X360, NGPC, Neo-Geo AES, PCE Duo, PS4, PSX, oXbox

$ALE: NOTTING!!! ABSORUTRY NOTTING!!!!!!

WANTED: CDX, 3DO, Amiga 32CD, Master System, Wii

Xbox Live: AHTNF
PSN: CallMeTheSwede

Be a pal, Check out my Photography
http://callmetheswede.deviantart.com
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

we need CRTGAMER up in this thread...
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

Yes, RGB can be converted to component but the converters run around $100. That might limit the appeal. I would probably buy a set though. I'll be getting a converter eventually.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

If you're gonna buy RGB cables get the Japanese standard, not the European SCART type.

If you get the Japanese standard then people who have X-RGB upconverters can easily and quickly connect all of their consoles to it for retro fun on a modern display without lag or image quality deterioration.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Can you show me examples of each?
mugenmidget
32-bit

Post by mugenmidget »

Sony PVM monitors are somewhat easy to find (or at least among the most common RGB monitors in the US). They support RGB input through a DB25 plug on the back of some models and BNC connectors on the rest. Here's the pin out for the DB25 models:

http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:pvm-2030

I already have cables like this made for Sega Saturn and Genesis (model 1), but I don't for the PS2, Gamecube, or Dreamcast (which granted all support 480p but there's still some 240p/low-res games that should look great through RGB).

I've made attempts at a SCART > PVM adapter, and while it works my poor soldering work usually means it falls apart after I try to switch cables on it. If I could buy solidly made cables from your store for the PVM 2030 I think that would be awesome.

But even if you just did a run of SCART > PVM adapters that should be perfect, the only issue with those is how sync might be different for certain consoles and how certain SCART cables use one ground and ignore the rest (but you could hook them all up and that would fix it).

All the same, just bringing cheaper SCART cables here (European or Japanese, but I agree with Mod Man about the X-RGB) would be awesome enough. So please do pursue this!

Also, here's the Japanese 21 pin RGB: http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id= ... ese_rgb-21

And SCART: http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id= ... _connector
http://twitch.tv/multitapmugen
Live gaming streams, click the URL above to visit our channel!
gennss
128-bit

Post by gennss »

I don't forsee myself interested in them.
--
Gennss
--
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

If you mean RGB SCART cables, thoses are easy to find on the 'bay. The tricky part is getting all the other stuff I need. If I understand correctly, I'll need a few things to connect my Genesis to the component inputs on my TV. I think it works like this:

Code: Select all

Genesis A/V out --> RGB SCART cable --> SCART to YUV converter -->Component cables
....................................................../\.........................
......................................................][.........................
.............................................US power supply 110V in, 12V out

The tough part is that after I buy the RGB SCART cable, I'll still need to buy the $50 SCART to YUV convertor; and then I'll still need to buy a $20 separate power supply designed to be used in a US 110 volt power outlet. All this adds up to a component connection that costs three times as much as the Sega Genesis itself is worth.

If you could sell me a single box solution that goes straight from:

Code: Select all

Genesis A/V out -->Component cables

I'd buy one today.
Hateshinai
128-bit

Post by Hateshinai »

When it comes to gaming, RGB is the only good thing about living in Europe. I already have all the cables I need, but I might pick a spare or 2 at that price
Mostly harmless