Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: How did some games get so wildly expensive?

by noiseredux Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:46 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:
noiseredux wrote:supply and demand are what results in a price. Period.

That's kinda shortsighted isn't it?...

Yes it is shortsighted. It's an over-simplification actually. But I was just trying to point out that things like inflating the price might work for a bit, but eventually the supply/demand for the product will correct it. IE: If the price is inflated to a point where nobody is will to pay that price, then they won't. SO the demand is lowered.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:43 pm

AppleQueso wrote:I remember seeing Tron Bonne in bargain bins :cry:

why oh why didn't I grab it then

After seeing some gameplay videos, I really, REALLY want this game. If only I was a more educated gamer last generation, so I could have bought it used for dirt cheap.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 pm

noiseredux wrote:
elmagicochrisg wrote:
noiseredux wrote:supply and demand are what results in a price. Period.
That's kinda shortsighted isn't it?...
Yes it is shortsighted. It's an over-simplification actually. But I was just trying to point out that things like inflating the price might work for a bit, but eventually the supply/demand for the product will correct it. IE: If the price is inflated to a point where nobody is will to pay that price, then they won't. SO the demand is lowered.
Agree. Look at PS2 Rez when the HD download came out. Wait till PS3 Shadow of the Colossus goes into full hype mode. Price check PS2 version before and after not only the newer PS3 game but the older HD compilation comes out.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

by elmagicochrisg Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:30 pm

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

by Curlypaul Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:01 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:There's this one guy on eBay UK that has single-handedly fucked up the Mega CD market by doing this. As far as I know he's one of those people that buy as many rare games as possible, just to sell them at insanely overrated prices afterwards... :evil:

I see you've come across Spence.77 then?

What really gets my goat is when somebody auctions a game, you think you've got it for a reasonable price and then at the last second it gets sniped and then shows up in Spence.77's listings at £95 BIN. That really makes me mad.

You are right though, and now he's got his copy cats in TheCoopster and SegaMad1981. Wish these guys would just fuck off, although SegaMad1981 does seem to have a source of Final Fights and Samuri Shodons
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

by elmagicochrisg Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:05 pm

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

by elmagicochrisg Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:08 pm

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:16 pm

elmagicochrisg and curlypaul wrote:*snip*

Sooo, you guys are reporting these fucktards every time, right?
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

by AmishSamurai Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:09 am

Hobie-wan wrote:
elmagicochrisg and curlypaul wrote:*snip*

Sooo, you guys are reporting these fucktards every time, right?

This. Report him like motherfucking Fist of the North Star.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:38 am

CRTGAMER wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Its the bloody Internet. Double edged sword of finding that elusive game at jacked up prices. I don't rely on VGPC to buy a game, it only tracks the common sources. An inexpensive chance at swap meets, thrift stores and yes even Gamestop.

Perfect example is look at Gamecube Phantasy Star, a huge price disparity.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=35651
Obviously, but lucky pawn shop/thrift store finds aren't really what most people think of when discussing a game's monetary value.

I've found plenty of good deals at those though ($5 Chrono Trigger... yummy) and I keep my eyes open for cheap finds. Right now I'm pretty much banking entirely on my future copy of Shantae being a lucky pawn find.
Put my censored quote back in.

This is why I take Thrift stores and Swap meets as part of MY price determination. If a desperation EBay/Amazon purchase times shipping, I'll first check Gamestop price. I just picked up more stuff at Gamestop today cheaper then what it costs on Ripoff bay. Soon as I finish testing, I will post pics of the FX controller I just snagged. :mrgreen:

And the phantasy star price is by far the exception and not the rule. You aren't going to get far offering $5 to someone for that game say, on a trading board.
Return to General Gaming