Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Re: How did some games get so wildly expensive?

by elmagicochrisg Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:32 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:Sometimes prices get inflated artificially by the sellers themselves. Ebay is the best example for this. You could call it the lemming-effect. One person overcharges for a game, and all of a sudden everybody else follows in those footsteps and starts overcharging for the same game...

There's this one guy on eBay UK that has single-handedly fucked up the Mega CD market by doing this. As far as I know he's one of those people that buy as many rare games as possible, just to sell them at insanely overrated prices afterwards... :evil:

Trust me, it's mainly malpractice like this that makes prices go up. Snatcher for Mega CD is a nice example...

Of course demand and supply also play a role...

This might actually explain Tron Bonne and Shantae pretty well.

CRTGAMER wrote:Its the bloody Internet. Double edged sword of finding that elusive game at jacked up prices. I don't rely on VGPC to buy a game, it only tracks the common sources. An inexpensive chance at swap meets, thrift stores and yes even Gamestop

Obviously, but lucky pawn shop/thrift store finds aren't really what most people think of when discussing a game's monetary value.

I've found plenty of good deals at those though ($5 Chrono Trigger... yummy) and I keep my eyes open for cheap finds. Right now I'm pretty much banking entirely on my future copy of Shantae being a lucky pawn find.
Last edited by AppleQueso on Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:33 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:Of course demand and supply also play a role...

supply and demand are what results in a price. Period. It's all these other factors that play a role in what the demand is. And since the games are no longer made, the supply never changes.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

by gtmtnbiker Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:56 pm

The Gamecube component cables used to be pretty expensive ($70 average) but they have come down in price since then. Mario DDR for the Gamecube used to be $70+ but have come down significantly. Less demand for the gamecube.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:26 pm

noiseredux wrote: And since the games are no longer made, the supply never changes.

Ah, but unfortunately it does. It goes down as copies are lost or accidentally destroyed. :cry:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:27 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:
noiseredux wrote: And since the games are no longer made, the supply never changes.

Ah, but unfortunately it does. It goes down as copies are lost or accidentally destroyed. :cry:

ah, actually good point.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

by elmagicochrisg Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:35 pm

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:51 pm

noiseredux wrote:supply and demand are what results in a price. Period

No, they result in value not prize. I sell my game at a million dollars, it's price it's a million dollars. If you don't pay anything for it, it's worthless no matter what it's price is.

Price =/= Value
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
lwcook
128-bit

by lwcook Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:58 pm

elmagicochrisg wrote:
noiseredux wrote:supply and demand are what results in a price. Period.

That's kinda shortsighted isn't it?... In theory, and with no other factors held into account, this may be true. But in reality most of the time it's far more complicated. As supply and demand may affect the price of a product or service, the opposite may also be true. Prices can also be the factor to affect supply and demand causing a situation called being at disequilibrium.

The price of a product or service is not always based on logic.

I think the internet has definitely played its role in skewing pure supply and demand pricing structure. Mostly, it's still a case of supply and demand setting prices, except the supply and demand population is it's own localized market. For example, ever see someone try and sell a rare-ish game at ebay prices on craigslist or a garage sale. Usually doesn't pull the same kind of cash because the demand market isn't gathered in one place.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:59 pm

AppleQueso wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Its the bloody Internet. Double edged sword of finding that elusive game at jacked up prices. I don't rely on VGPC to buy a game, it only tracks the common sources. An inexpensive chance at swap meets, thrift stores and yes even Gamestop.

Perfect example is look at Gamecube Phantasy Star, a huge price disparity.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=35651
Obviously, but lucky pawn shop/thrift store finds aren't really what most people think of when discussing a game's monetary value.

I've found plenty of good deals at those though ($5 Chrono Trigger... yummy) and I keep my eyes open for cheap finds. Right now I'm pretty much banking entirely on my future copy of Shantae being a lucky pawn find.
Put my censored quote back in.

This is why I take Thrift stores and Swap meets as part of MY price determination. If a desperation EBay/Amazon purchase times shipping, I'll first check Gamestop price. I just picked up more stuff at Gamestop today cheaper then what it costs on Ripoff bay. Soon as I finish testing, I will post pics of the FX controller I just snagged. :mrgreen:

EDIT
EdgeFX controller mini review here.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Return to General Gaming