Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Re: How did some games get so wildly expensive?

by Curlypaul Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:59 am

AmishSamurai wrote:
Hobie-wan wrote:
elmagicochrisg and curlypaul wrote:*snip*

Sooo, you guys are reporting these fucktards every time, right?

This. Report him like motherfucking Fist of the North Star.

Well I'm not sure they are breaking the rules (other than conducting the sale outside of ebay) and as I've never dealt with any of them myself I dont feel that I would be able to anyway, even though I have watched segamad1981 do all these things that AmishSamuri says.

My main problem is that these 3 own at least 50% of the MegaCD listings at any one time, and they buy the games that are reasonably priced and then relist them, driving the price up beyond all reason. Thats just not cricket.

eg Spence.77 finds a Beast II demo disk, checks it on http://www.sega-mega-cd-library.co.uk/ and assumes that because the guy that wrote that web page has only ever seen 2, that his must be number 3 out of 3 in existence and lists it £10K. For a demo disk containing 10mins of gameplay, of a game that I can buy complete for £20. Obviously it doesnt sell, but then we got a whole bunch of these tossers listing the disk at several hundred pounds.

Personally I quiet like collection Demo disks, but even for something unsual like this one I wouldnt pay more than a few quid.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

by Bradtemple87 Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:29 pm

print run is always the problem, look at the working designs releases over the years
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
gennss
128-bit

by gennss Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:58 pm

They say SG wasn't so expensive in Japan, until sellers realized there was such a huge demand from exporters.

edited for grammar.
--
Gennss
--
pakopako
Next-Gen

by pakopako Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:30 pm

Bradtemple87 wrote:print run is always the problem, look at the working designs releases over the years

'Course the Working Designs label also carries its own fanboys/cult following.

AppleQueso wrote:And the phantasy star price is by far the exception and not the rule. You aren't going to get far offering $5 to someone for that game say, on a trading board.

While the company does adjust for stuff like eBay sales (they did up the price of Harvest Moon titles eventually), they are also more likely to remain the way they are because no one's trading them in. They still list GameCube component cables for US$5.

I actually like and dislike how the prices are sky-rocketing. On the plus side, this means the game (or DVD) that I bought all those years ago and never opened can now be sold to pay for food and rent. On the negative side, I can't ever play that game again.

elmagicochrisg wrote:There's this one guy on eBay UK that has single-handedly fucked up the Mega CD market by doing this. As far as I know he's one of those people that buy as many rare games as possible, just to sell them at insanely overrated prices afterwards... :evil:

Is it evil marketing or genius marketing? (Also used in plots of various Disney comics.)
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

by elmagicochrisg Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:23 pm

Last edited by elmagicochrisg on Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

by YoshiEgg25 Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Taking a couple links from THAT link...

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread ... 993&page=2
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13702

I'll never be able to collect for Sega CD even if I wanted to. Jerks like that make me want to smash some heads in.

Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Return to General Gaming