Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
akturtle

Help buying my husband a Colecovision?

by akturtle Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:58 am

My husband is a big retro gamer, and he's been saying for a few years now that he really wants a Colecovision. I really want to get him one for Christmas, but I don't really know what I should be looking for (condition, peripherals, etc.). He doesn't care about having his systems in mint condition, as long as they're playable. Could someone tell me what I need to be looking for? Also, I live in Alaska, and our retro game market is extremely limited, so I'll probably have to buy it online. Any suggestions on good places to buy?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help me with this.
Last edited by akturtle on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Help buying my husband a Calecovision?

by CRTGAMER Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:35 am

Colecovision, your title question is misspelled, an easy EDIT fix.

Look for a reputable seller with a lot sales and positive reviews listed. Minimal be sure the console has an original huge power brick cord and both controllers. TV cable is a coaxial cable with I believe an RCA connector at the console end along with a simple switch box. Donkey Kong is one of the better games to start with, it was the pack in the original box.

There are a few listed on EBay with an added Atari 2600 adaptor.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=colecovision

Pic Below
Left side: Big Power Supply
Top Row: TV cable, Donkey Kong Game cart and TV switch box.
Attachments
ColecoVision.jpg
ColecoVision.jpg (78.66 KiB) Viewed 833 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

by gtmtnbiker Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:47 am

I would use the query "colecovision -table system -adam" to filter out most of the junk. Yes, you might overlook a couple of auctions because they didn't use the keyword system.

You can also post in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of this forum to see if anyone has a system with some carts for sale. I also suggest posting in the B/S/T forums over at atariage.com. I don't know if there are any other forums that would be worthwhile.
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

by Weekend_Warrior Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:00 pm

Well, if you're going to buy one and you're going to buy it online.. you might as well look for one that comes complete with its original box and is in good condition. Although price might be an issue for you, I still believe that "there's just something about opening a present and seeing that cool-looking box first that gets me really excited." :mrgreen:

Also, having a Colecovision with its box could be seen as a possible future investment, as well. The collectibility of these older consoles will only go up as they become more and more rare in the future. Especially if everything is in really good condition
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:57 pm

Try to buy a lot that has a few games in it too. Sucks getting a shiny new system to play with and not having any software. It's usually cheaper to buy in larger lots anyway.

This for instance would be a nice starter lot for someone who doesn't care much for boxes. Reasonably priced so far, and the selection of games is good too.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:29 pm

Hatta wrote:Try to buy a lot that has a few games in it too. Sucks getting a shiny new system to play with and not having any software. It's usually cheaper to buy in larger lots anyway.

This for instance would be a nice starter lot for someone who doesn't care much for boxes. Reasonably priced so far, and the selection of games is good too.

I completely agree. Even if the lot doesn't have any good games, at least he can use the new system a little without having to wait to get games. But if an eBay auction for the system also includes a dozen or so games, there's bound to be at least 2 or 3 that are good ones. And yes, buying in a lot is usually always cheaper than buying it all individually.
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

by gtmtnbiker Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:29 pm

You should also go through the completed auctions for Ebay to see what a system and some games will go for. It seems that they're averaging around $100 shipped.
akturtle

Re: Help buying my husband a Colecovision?

by akturtle Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks everyone for all your help! I found one on ebay. Here's to hoping for an awesome Christmas morning.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:21 pm

akturtle wrote:Thanks everyone for all your help! I found one on ebay. Here's to hoping for an awesome Christmas morning.
Curious, a link of the won merchandise?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:43 pm

akturtle wrote:Thanks everyone for all your help! I found one on ebay. Here's to hoping for an awesome Christmas morning.

Congrats!

CRTGAMER wrote:
Curious, a link of the won merchandise?

Yeah, same here.
Return to General Gaming