New game industry trend that is getting on my nerves

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

New game industry trend that is getting on my nerves

Post by Gamerforlife »

I feel the need to go on a brief little rant here:

Something that has been seriously pissing me off lately. I think about a month ago, I created a topic about how I couldn't copy any of my save data for Mass Effect 2 on the Xbox 360. A few years ago, I played Viva Pinata and discovered that I was not allowed to copy my save data, meaning that if my Xbox 360's hard drive crashed(and we all know THAT never happens :roll: I was just expected to lose hours of work with a dumb smile on my face. They didn't change this for the second Viva Pinata either

Now, I've recently been putting a lot of hours in Sly Cooper 3 on the Sly Collection for the PS3 and I decide today to go and back up my save data and lo and behold, I'm told I am not allowed to copy my save data

WHAT...THE....F***!!!!

I am seriously getting sick and tired of this crap. This is the second game this year, and the fourth game on this generation of consoles to pull this crap and I am seriously getting sick and tired of it. What the hell are they afraid of? If players can copy their save data it'll cause a global apocalypse. Every intelligent person knows that all electronic equipment has a chance for failure and people should ALWAYS back up their data, whether it's computer data or video game saves. I would think that the college graduate brainiacs who design our games and work around computers all day would know this too. Why the hell are game developers stopping players from copying their save data? Is their any logical explanation for this? Do they want us all to go out and buy third party devices just so we can perform something that was at one time a basic function that all games allowed

Ugh, one more thing to add to my list of reasons why I hate the state of gaming today
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
forsigmar
16-bit

Re: New game industry trend that is getting on my nerves

Post by forsigmar »

I just realized this yesterday when trying to copy PS3 save files on to a USB stick. About 90% would copy but Demons Souls and GT5 saves would not copy. There is no way in hell I am starting Demons Souls again! I have no idea why a developer would do this.
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Post by dedalusdedalus »

I've been sitting out the Wii/PS3/Xbox360 generation, but this is making me reconsider whether I even want to enter at all.

Save data is sacred. It represents your sweat equity in a game: it's the manifestation of the blood, sweat, tears and F-bombs you dropped on a game.

Save data is like Texas: you don't mess with it.

/nerd rant.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Yeah, I'm a bit annoyed by this trend too. I thought my Wii was gonna give up on me a few months back, so I decided to copy all ym data just in case - well, all but about 5 of my games, which dont let me. Typical that they're also some of the most time consuming games - like Smash Bros Brawl.
enderfall
128-bit

Post by enderfall »

So, backing up your PS3 to a external HD doesn't work either?
NES | SNES | Genesis | PSOne | Saturn | N64 | Dreamcast | Gamecube | XBox | PS2 Phat w/HDLoader | PS3 Slim| Wii
GBA SP | PSP-1000 | WiFi-iPad 16GB(Is this a game system?) | Modded PS1 | PS Vita 3G

Goozex referral: http://www.goozex.com/referral.asp?idr=6186585560772

http://backloggery.com/enderfall/sig.gif
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

I can add to the OP rant. There were a couple last gen games that wouldn't allow a simple backup of the memory card saves either. Was it Dreamcast Seaman and Gamecube Animal Crossing? What a pain!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

cloud service for game saves can't get here soon enough. Though only if it allows you to send a copy to friends.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

enderfall wrote:So, backing up your PS3 to a external HD doesn't work either?

I don't know. I don't have one, but it's worth trying if I get my hands on one

I've read on some other forums that companies do this to prevent people from copying someone else's save files to unlock trophies they didn't earn. Can someone explain to me why a few gamers getting freebie trophies is considered more important than players having a way to back up hours of work? Am I the only one who feels like game companies have developed a seriously messed up sense of priorities in the past couple years?

I guess this is yet another reason for people to hate trophies and achievements. At this rate, I'm starting to wish trophies/achievements would just be abolished altogether. I'm starting to hate the damn things.

There are a ton of other games it seems that don't let people copy saves. Here's a thread about it on another forum:

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/gener ... drive.html
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Quiet Flight
24-bit

Post by Quiet Flight »

I'm glad there are workarounds to most of this.
Pichu
128-bit

Post by Pichu »

You're just now complaining of this?
*sees this is of PS3/360 games* Oh, okay.

Well, the Wii is the biggest offender, all online enabled games, no matter how useless their online can not be copied. MHTri....Brawl....Animal Crossing......god damn. :|