Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Niode
Next-Gen

Re: New game industry trend that is getting on my nerves

by Niode Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:45 pm

flamepanther wrote:As for the topic at hand... well just you try to get your NES to copy your Zelda saves to another cartridge and tell me this is a new issue ;)

I love you. Can we be friends? Seriously guys, [/argument] here.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:11 pm

flamepanther wrote:As for the topic at hand... well just you try to get your NES to copy your Zelda saves to another cartridge and tell me this is a new issue ;)

But the important difference is that the save still isn't tied to a system. You're still at the mercy of the battery life but if your console dies you still have the save. You can take the game to a friend's house and play with your save without having to take the physical console. If 5 people were having a gathering to play NES RPGs (in a loose term), each person could just bring their games and everyone can take turns on 1 NES. as opposed to having to maybe swap out the console every time a game is switched because saves were tied to each console.

But yes, very good point. :lol:
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:17 am

Hobie-wan wrote:
But the important difference is that the save still isn't tied to a system. You're still at the mercy of the battery life but if your console dies you still have the save. You can take the game to a friend's house and play with your save without having to take the physical console. If 5 people were having a gathering to play NES RPGs (in a loose term), each person could just bring their games and everyone can take turns on 1 NES. as opposed to having to maybe swap out the console every time a game is switched because saves were tied to each console.

But yes, very good point. :lol:

so in terms of saves the PS1 and PS2 were the best consoles?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Wim_Senna
8-bit

by Wim_Senna Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:13 am

Well, I'd say any console that lets you save data on an external device that you can plug into any other console of the same type.

In the good old days some games even had these password systems, they gave you a password you could enter to resume your last state. No battery, no memory card, no hdd, you just had to remember where you wrote it down :lol:
PC Engine Duo,Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive, SNES, Gameboy Advance, Atari Lynx, Playstation, PS2, PS3, PSP, NES,Gameboy,Atari 7800,Wii
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:23 pm

Wim_Senna wrote:Well, I'd say any console that lets you save data on an external device that you can plug into any other console of the same type.

ZeroAX wrote:so in terms of saves the PS1 and PS2 were the best consoles?

In regards to saves, I'd say so. Gamecube too. It would be even better if they saved to plain flash memory cards instead of proprietary ones, but of course then they can't make money off the licensing.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:29 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:
Wim_Senna wrote:Well, I'd say any console that lets you save data on an external device that you can plug into any other console of the same type.

ZeroAX wrote:so in terms of saves the PS1 and PS2 were the best consoles?

In regards to saves, I'd say so. Gamecube too. It would be even better if they saved to plain flash memory cards instead of proprietary ones, but of course then they can't make money off the licensing.

I already pointed out that random games on gamecube and ps2 wouldn't let you move/copy saves...
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:45 pm

AppleQueso wrote:I already pointed out that random games on gamecube and ps2 wouldn't let you move/copy saves...

Right, derp.

Ok, for the games that aren't assholes about it.

So uh, PS1 then?
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:52 pm

how about the good old PC? It lets you copy your saves and even share them on the internet without much trouble, other than locating the folder your saves are located.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:28 pm

ZeroAX wrote:how about the good old PC? It lets you copy your saves and even share them on the internet without much trouble, other than locating the folder your saves are located.

I didn't bring the up myself since that's a given. :lol:
Return to General Gaming