Back-up hardware; Am I the only one who does this?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
scarper
128-bit

Re: Back-up hardware; Am I the only one who does this?

Post by scarper »

I have a few backup systems, but they were all coincidental. I have two Gamecubes and Two N64's, one of each was given to me after I actually bought them. I have three Saturns. A USA Model 1 which was initially bought to play games, a Japanese Model 2 for playing imports back when I collected actual games, and 2 USA Model 2's which came with a lot my friend sold to me: Complete copies of Nights into Dreams, both Virtua Cops, both Virtua Fighters, 2 light guns, 2 controllers, a boxed 3D controller and 2 systems, all for $50. Everything worked. It could've easily been sold for $250 on eBay, so I took the deal and ran. I gave one of the Model 2's to a friend.

I'm probably gonna buy a second Dreamcast for backup.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I have a few dupe systems, most of which sit in draws. I can't say if you're a hoarder or not though, I'm a bit of a pack rat myself. With the disc based consoles though, I definitely have thought about why I should keep a spare around.
lwcook
128-bit

Post by lwcook »

Ziggy587 wrote:I have a few dupe systems, most of which sit in draws. I can't say if you're a hoarder or not though, I'm a bit of a pack rat myself. With the disc based consoles though, I definitely have thought about why I should keep a spare around.

That's pretty much me too. I've kept the extra Saturn and DC subconsciously for that reason I think...I mean you never know.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

On the other hand, I have a model 1 Saturn that I keep around (got from a friend for free) that has massive troubles loading games. Though I have a working model 2 Saturn, so it's not as if I can even use it for many parts. All the same I keep it.

I have a working PS2, and another I keep around (free from my cousin) that has a bad lens. It's the same model as my working PS2, so I figured I'd save it for parts.

I do have a perfectly working 5001 model PS1 that I keep around, while I have a chipped 7501 that I use. I had 2 Cubes for a while, but then I scored a modchip cheap enough from the forums so I chipped the extra console and sold it.

I have 3 SNES. Two original models, but I use them both (two locations). Then I have a SNES mini with some thing burnt out on the board, but I still keep it.

So most of the above, I have semi busted consoles that I keep in the event I could use them for parts or eventually have time to try and repair them. But I have consciencly thought of getting spare, fully working consoles. If I ever see them cheap enough, I will. If I find another 7501 PS1 in good condition, I'll get it and sell my 5001 model. If I happen across a mint Dreamcast for cheap I'll be sure to pick it up. I even had the thought for the future: When Nintendo comes out with their next home console, maybe I'll pick up a brand new Wii when they're at their lowest price. Just keep it boxed up new, as a spare.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

JordanPlayer wrote:Don't really see much of a point in back up hardware; out of all the consoles I have (NES through current gen) I've only had to replace a 72-pin in my NES... nothing else has died on me.

Some people aren't as lucky as you when it comes to hardware breaking down. Also, some people might want to stock two or three of the rarer consoles (i.e. N64DD) so that in case if one of them dies they won't have to search around for another one at a good price. There's also a convenience factor: If you need to order a new 72-pin connector for your NES and you have a backup, you can play your backup NES while you wait for your connector to be shipped.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I'm thinking more in terms of the future. Yeah, a good condition Dreamcast is easy to find right now. My Dreamcast is working perfectly, and I don't use it much. But perhaps in 10 years my Dreamcast blows up and then I can't find one in good condition and/or a good price. I'm just using this as an example.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

If I had more money then I would definitely get back ups. Haven't really done so yet though. I want to get a back up Saturn at some point.

I do, however, have 2 Dreamcasts. 3 if you count the one with the f'ed discdrive.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Fickieboy
16-bit

Post by Fickieboy »

Ziggy587 wrote:I'm thinking more in terms of the future. Yeah, a good condition Dreamcast is easy to find right now. My Dreamcast is working perfectly, and I don't use it much. But perhaps in 10 years my Dreamcast blows up and then I can't find one in good condition and/or a good price. I'm just using this as an example.

If in ten years my DC dies, I'll sell the originals and play isos on a Psp5
DMG,GBP,GBC,GBAdvance,GBASP,GBMicro,NDSLite,PSP1000,NGPC,Wonderswan,
Nasa(Nesclone),Polystation(Famiclone),PSOne,Ps2Slim,GCN,Dreamcast.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I probably wont. Even when the emulation is perfect, I still wanna be using my original hardware. Hell, that's why we all still have our old consoles. How about the recent thread, "should I sell my SNES and play the ROMs on my Xbox?" where every one said not to.

Now if Sega made a new console that was backwards compatible with the Dreamcast, that would be another story. :lol:
JordanPlayer
64-bit

Post by JordanPlayer »

GSZX1337 wrote:There's also a convenience factor: If you need to order a new 72-pin connector for your NES and you have a backup, you can play your backup NES while you wait for your connector to be shipped.
This is when a backlog of games comes in handy so you can jump to something else, although I do understand it's nice having something you can swap out. I do have some back-up consoles but they were acquired because I wanted the games that came with them... My first post sounds kind of negative, I guess I was thinking more about people that hoard them :lol:

2 extra model 1 Genesis (using a model 2 since both model 1 systems have issues)
SNES 2 (currently using original model)
PS1 (use PS2 which can play nearly all PS1 games)
Gamecube (use Wii which can play all Gamecube games)