Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Re: Back-up hardware; Am I the only one who does this?

by D.D.D. Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:38 am

Most certainly I do too. As you can see in my signature, I have several duplicate pieces of HW just in case. I have many more controllers that I have systems because I'm more worried about them wearing out faster than the HW would.
I do need to get another few systems that have CD or DVD drives in them as those are the ones I worry about most.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Contagion13
32-bit

by Contagion13 Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:47 am

D.D.D. wrote:I do need to get another few systems that have CD or DVD drives in them as those are the ones I worry about most.

Agreed, burning out cd drives in older consoles are the worst because of very few replacement parts are available. I'd like to get a second sega saturn for this very reason plus I want to mod one and keep the other original.
"I'm not the jury or the judge, I am the gallows and the noose!" ~TOTA
"YES I KNOW THE GAME IS IN FREAKIN JAPANESE!!!!!!!!!!!"
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

by D.D.D. Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:50 am

Contagion13 wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:I do need to get another few systems that have CD or DVD drives in them as those are the ones I worry about most.

Agreed, burning out cd drives in older consoles are the worst because of very few replacement parts are available. I'd like to get a second sega saturn for this very reason plus I want to mod one and keep the other original.

Yeah I feel like I should get another one or two just in case (though I have 3 already). I wish SEGA would do a compilation disc of Saturn games or something.

Oh and BTW, nice Metroid avatar. *thumbs up*
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
Contagion13
32-bit

by Contagion13 Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:22 am

D.D.D. wrote:
Contagion13 wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:Yeah I feel like I should get another one or two just in case (though I have 3 already). I wish SEGA would do a compilation disc of Saturn games or something.

Oh and BTW, nice Metroid avatar. *thumbs up*

Yea that would be amazing if they would bring back a bunch of saturn games and thanks for the metroid compliment, one of my favorite series :)
Incognito D
128-bit

by Incognito D Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:38 am

I don't deliberately keep back-up systems. If the worst came to the worst, I could just go out and buy another upon one breaking down.
I do have 2 Gamecubes and 2 Super Nintendos but I just kinda acquired them. It wasn't intentional. The SNES was £5 at a Christmas fair, while the second Gamecube I bought in about 2005 for £40 including two games, because at the time my brother had the other one in his room and I wanted my own to play.
Contagion13
32-bit

by Contagion13 Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:53 am

Incognito D wrote:I don't deliberately keep back-up systems. If the worst came to the worst, I could just go out and buy another upon one breaking down.

I usually dont either, i picked up my second 360 when I got married because my wife and I had our own, then my second SNES was kinda dumb on my part (I thought I blew a fuse in my SNES 2 and tried replacing it and nothing happened, ended up going to a pawn shop and buying another SNES just to find out the only problem with SNES 2 was the power cord was shot so now I have two SNES, I just keep the SNES 2 for my Super Famicom games because I modded the dust tray and even with a replacement fuse it still runs like a champ)
ChuChu Flamingo
64-bit

by ChuChu Flamingo Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:25 am

Yeah I've got quite a few duplicate consoles. I mean I got most of them at rummage sales for $5, so they are worth picking up. Time for the list.

5 Black N64s (3 have ram expansion)
2 Jungle Green (one in box)
1 Pikachu one

3 PS1s

High definition graphics Model 1 genesis
Non high defintion graphics model 1 genesis
Genesis model 2
genesis model 3

4 switch Atari 2600 x 2
Atari 2600 jr

2 PS2s (One of the lasers is dead, need to get that HDD and it will work)

4 NES (1 is working right now, but two of them can be fixed with a new 72 pin connector. Other one just gives a black screen with some fuzz, looks like its shorting out.

In any case it is quite fun to see how many consoles I can get. Always fun cleaning them up. Plus when I get 64 Nintendo 64's, I will take a awesome picture of their combined power.

This is where I store them after cleaning.

fvgazi
Next-Gen

by fvgazi Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:01 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:I keep backups of most of my consoles, also handy for car shows. Compared to cart based machines, actually a smart move especially with less robust components as a CD/DVD reader.

Local Salvation Army has the exact same model 200 pound Sony HD CRT for sale and I am tempted. I seen one also a few months ago at the swap meet. I know I'm going to regret not buying if mine ever fails. So where to put, if I do buy that duplicate monster. :lol:

You can plop that monster into my apartment :wink:. Better than my shitty 20" phillips.
[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:16 pm

I didnt start out doing this, but over time I have ended up with dupes for most of my consoles. The five gamecubes came from Four Swords and the five Saturns because it was cheaper at the time to buy two lots of Saturns for the model two controllers for Bomberman, but the four Dreamcasts I dont really have an excuse for.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

by Dakinggamer87 Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:36 pm

I have a couple backup systems from various yard/garage sales I pick up on the cheap. It's nice for an extra in another room as well. 8)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
Return to General Gaming