Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: The fate of offline multiplayer

by RCBH928 Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:50 pm

online is really cool...
but the truth is, I still want to gather with my friends and play together.

it seems like most games are made for one guy to play, and the rest to watch
or a lot of the games will split the screen making every player own a tiny portion for him to use
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:44 pm

*cough*

You might be interested in this thread we had a few months ago. :P

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=23889&hilit=local+multiplayer
DaGamingMonkey
128-bit

by DaGamingMonkey Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:28 pm

While LAN with friends you are held responsible for your actions or trash talk. If you're being obnoxious enough someone can walk over and slug you.
We had a 2 tv Halo lan a few months back, mainly friends. There was one guest of a friend. He proceeded to "hack" as he called it and find ways to exploit the map. Quickly he learned he was not online and his crap would not be tolerated.

Online games there are no repercussions for being a complete jackass.
Xionraserei1
64-bit

by Xionraserei1 Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:32 pm

ZeroAX wrote:A) Fat princess is a PS3 exclusive (just saying)

and

B) Yeah, but in current gen's defense, the wii has brought 4 player multiplayer back. Wii Sports, New Super Mario Bross, Mario Party, Wii Party, Goldeneye, The Conduit, Mario Sports Mix

and for excellent 2P games (most of them co-op) Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 (specially in SMG2 the 2nd player has much more stuff to do), excite truck, excite bots, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn

It's just the HD consoles that suck balls when it comes to (local) multiplayer. The only game that did it right is LittleBigPlanet.

Thank god wifi handheld multiplayer gaming is becoming really huge in Japan, so from this gen, but I believe specially with the PSP2 and 3DS we'll get excellent local multiplayer games on handhelds.

But what about if you hate the Wii? I loved the N6 goldeneye but I'll never buy an activision game since what happened with CoDMW2 and Starcraft II.

I just don't find the Wii up to my standards as an adult. They need more adult games on there. Plus I hate the motion thing. I don't want to get up and move when I am gaming, screw that xD
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:26 pm

Xionraserei1 wrote:I just don't find the Wii up to my standards as an adult. They need more adult games on there. Plus I hate the motion thing. I don't want to get up and move when I am gaming, screw that xD

A)Your loss.

B)It's funny cause most adults actually find the Wii more to their liking and lifestyle, while games were you shoot at things for points are considered toys for boys.

and finally C) Um dude. from all the games I named, only Wii Sports requires any getting up and heavy motion control input. The rest of the games barely have any.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:47 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
Xionraserei1 wrote:I just don't find the Wii up to my standards as an adult. They need more adult games on there. Plus I hate the motion thing. I don't want to get up and move when I am gaming, screw that xD

A)Your loss.

B)It's funny cause most adults actually find the Wii more to their liking and lifestyle, while games were you shoot at things for points are considered toys for boys.

and finally C) Um dude. from all the games I named, only Wii Sports requires any getting up and heavy motion control input. The rest of the games barely have any.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to these thoughts. I myself don't really care to use motion controls. They were cool at first, and still can be at times, but mostly I don't wanna be waving my arms around. Especially when I get home from work and am tired, just wanna sit and play some games without having to move my arms around.

But all that being said, the Wii is my favorite console this generation. Apples and oranges, to each his own, and all that crap. But what I'm saying is, I don't want to use motion controls and yet the Wii is still my favorite console.

But Xionraserei1, just wondering, what do you think about the 360 as a console versus the Wii? Is it up to your standards as an adult? I just ask because of that stupid Konnect thing they came out with. They're even marketing it towards adults as well as children.

I've must have said this a million times on this forum, but a lot of Wii games either don't have any motion controls, have very little, or let you chose whether or not you want to use them or a traditional controller. Take the adult game Goldeneye for example. The game lets you use the Remote/Nunchuck with motion controls, or a Classic controller or Gamecube controller without motion controls. And as a side note on this, I think every Wii game should be like this.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:39 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:And as a side note on this, I think every Wii game should be like this.

well, I agree, with a few exceptions. Wii Sports with buttons.....just wouldn't work. Also I've read many good things about how original Wii Party's controls can be when it comes to its mini games.

Also ExciteTruck barely has "motion" controls (you just tilt the controller, like so many gamers actually did before motion controls, when taking a sharp turn in a racing game, or jumping a long distance and hoping they will make it across) but they are so good, and so easy to use (no need for huge motions) that it just wouldn't be the same game without them.

But yeah, I don't think Sonic games (for example) need any form of motion controls.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:45 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:What I dont like is the trend to make pc games have to have internet access (C&C4 and Starcraft 2). That is a deathknell for the Lanparty.

It's not the deathknell for the LAN party, it's the deathknell for the "one guy buys the game and 20 people play it" LAN party. About every 3 months a bunch of us get together and play TF2 on their LAN and you need to be hooked up to the internet to be able to get to your backpack (which is vital).
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:58 pm

MrPopo wrote:It's not the deathknell for the LAN party, it's the deathknell for the "one guy buys the game and 20 people play it" LAN party. About every 3 months a bunch of us get together and play TF2 on their LAN and you need to be hooked up to the internet to be able to get to your backpack (which is vital).

yes that is a very smart move from Valve. That way most people will opt to buy the game (in order to get the extra items) but at the same time the paying customers will be treated with respect.

The way Blizzard did it (or should I say activision?) is that even if you are playing in the same room, you still have to go through their servers which equals lag. Well ok it's not like lag matters in a strategy game (unless you are playing against a Korean), but if companies start using similar systems in their games, FPS lan parties will be plagued by unnecessary lag.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:04 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:And as a side note on this, I think every Wii game should be like this.

well, I agree, with a few exceptions. Wii Sports with buttons.....just wouldn't work. Also I've read many good things about how original Wii Party's controls can be when it comes to its mini games.

Also ExciteTruck barely has "motion" controls (you just tilt the controller, like so many gamers actually did before motion controls, when taking a sharp turn in a racing game, or jumping a long distance and hoping they will make it across) but they are so good, and so easy to use (no need for huge motions) that it just wouldn't be the same game without them.

But yeah, I don't think Sonic games (for example) need any form of motion controls.

:lol: Alright, Wii Sports can't be played with buttons. Good point. But yeah, games like Sonic really shouldn't be using motion control. I just started playing the new DKC, and I wish I could be using the classic controller. Though I'll admit, I like the motion controls in New SMB Wii. Flicking the remote to twirl when you jump, it was pretty OK. And the motion controls in Mario Galaxy were pretty fun too. Using the remote to balance on that big ball and whatnot. I'm just glad they didn't over do it.
Return to General Gaming