The fate of offline multiplayer

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xionraserei1
64-bit

Re: The fate of offline multiplayer

Post by Xionraserei1 »

Ziggy587 wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:
Xionraserei1 wrote:I just don't find the Wii up to my standards as an adult. They need more adult games on there. Plus I hate the motion thing. I don't want to get up and move when I am gaming, screw that xD

A)Your loss.

B)It's funny cause most adults actually find the Wii more to their liking and lifestyle, while games were you shoot at things for points are considered toys for boys.

and finally C) Um dude. from all the games I named, only Wii Sports requires any getting up and heavy motion control input. The rest of the games barely have any.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to these thoughts. I myself don't really care to use motion controls. They were cool at first, and still can be at times, but mostly I don't wanna be waving my arms around. Especially when I get home from work and am tired, just wanna sit and play some games without having to move my arms around.

But all that being said, the Wii is my favorite console this generation. Apples and oranges, to each his own, and all that crap. But what I'm saying is, I don't want to use motion controls and yet the Wii is still my favorite console.

But Xionraserei1, just wondering, what do you think about the 360 as a console versus the Wii? Is it up to your standards as an adult? I just ask because of that stupid Konnect thing they came out with. They're even marketing it towards adults as well as children.

I've must have said this a million times on this forum, but a lot of Wii games either don't have any motion controls, have very little, or let you chose whether or not you want to use them or a traditional controller. Take the adult game Goldeneye for example. The game lets you use the Remote/Nunchuck with motion controls, or a Classic controller or Gamecube controller without motion controls. And as a side note on this, I think every Wii game should be like this.

I think the Kinect for Xbox is a virus. We ALL suffer for this. Xbox live prices went up and they have that UGLY UGLY ass new interface for xbox which is FORCED on your to be online. This is all to pay for the stupid Kinect crap.

Im happy and sad at the same time for current gen consoles man. I LOVE rpg's but lately most have sucked and failed and crashed and burned. Mass Effect is the only current gen RPG that I love and its not even totally an RPG. Is it weird that I have it for PC and not xbox? I bought borderlands for Xbox and I never play it because its boring as crap unless your online playing it. I felt like I should have gotten it for PC. Which is why i never buy games like oblivion and fall out on consoles because i feel like if you stick to the story than its limited. On the PC i get to download crazy mods and weapons and guns that people make themselves for those things. Can't do that on console versions.

Lost Odyessy was not bad. I liked it alot and FFXIII has a nice story but it is way too linear, I think its just as much as a bastard to the series as 12 was. I am not even going to talk about my disappointment with 14. The last good Final Fantasy games were 10 and 11.

I kind of feel like the classic controller is just to get some people like me to shut up lol. It looks too retro to be comfortable for most games. I like gamecube/playstation/xbox controller. and yes, I know you can use Gamecube controllers on the wii.

I've been playing Mario 64 on emulation lately and I like it alot. I always watched ppl play it when I was younger, I never played. But I mean, The last mario game that I loved was Super mario RPG for Snes. I felt that, yet it was mario, it was very adult as a game. It kind of danced between kid and adult and it was great. However, Kingdom Heart, Screw that :P Disney and Square, BLEH. I can't even look at the game because they butchered their character designs.

Anyways, I know were off topic but thats it for me on those things.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

Xionraserei1 wrote:However, Kingdom Heart, Screw that :P Disney and Square, BLEH. I can't even look at the game because they butchered their character designs.

Them's fightin' words, boy. You can go back to playing your WRPGs with no story and huge, bland landscapes where 90% of the game is walking around, and I'll be off playing REAL RPGs, the JRPG. [No offense to Bioware].
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

lisalover1 wrote:Them's fightin' words, boy. You can go back to playing your WRPGs with no story and huge, bland landscapes where 90% of the game is walking around, and I'll be off playing REAL RPGs, the JRPG. [No offense to Bioware].

um dude, no offense, but some of the best stories in gaming are in Computer RPGs. Kotor, Deus Ex are in the top 5 best game stories I've ever experienced. Also everyone keeps praising

Now I'll agree that over 95% of CRPGs have generic tolkien-isc stories, but the same could be said about 95% of JRPGs, and perhaps even more, since they refuse to target JRPGs at a demographic outside teenagers.

I'm more a fan of JRPGs myself, but stories in gaming are lacking in general, and I think the RPG genre is hurting more than every other genre, because of it.

Adventure games actually do have good stories, and action games, well don't require excellent writing. It doesn't matter that inFAMOUS is a by the numbers super hero story, since that is what you expect. Light story and tons of action.

On the other hand I expect some true role playing from these games, and both J and W RPGs are lacking in that aspect.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

All right, I was out of line, but I can't resist retaliating against such an obvious troll as that guy. I don't dislike WRPGs [I've been known to play Mass Effect every now and then], but I do hate people who hate JRPGs because they are "too childish".
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

lisalover1 wrote: but I do hate people who hate JRPGs because they are "too childish".

I have yet to see a child have the patience to play an RPG (besides pokemon) :lol:

and while I too think he might be trolling, we should politely stop each other from trolling back, and imo politely talk to him cause me might actually want to have a good serious conversation with us.

It's up to the mods to do something about bad behavior.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Xionraserei1
64-bit

Post by Xionraserei1 »

lisalover1 wrote:
Xionraserei1 wrote:However, Kingdom Heart, Screw that :P Disney and Square, BLEH. I can't even look at the game because they butchered their character designs.

Them's fightin' words, boy. You can go back to playing your WRPGs with no story and huge, bland landscapes where 90% of the game is walking around, and I'll be off playing REAL RPGs, the JRPG. [No offense to Bioware].

Lost Odyssey and the final fantasy games are JRPGs.... lol the only one that wasnt that I named was Mass Effect. Hell, Mistwalker or w/e (The people who left Square and made the older final fantasy titles) I forgot the real name made Lost Odyssey but left microsoft publish it. It is one of the most traditional RPGs in this era in the gameplay and layout of the game. It doesn't get more Japanese than that. Battles take fucking forever xD 6 people in a party, etc.

Yes back to topic please.
shadobeni
24-bit

Post by shadobeni »

I've never played online multiplayer (except for card games but that doesn't count) and have fond memories as a kid with friends over playing 2d fighters, beat em ups, sports games or bomberman on consoles. Racing and FPS were also fun but split screen made everything terribly small.

So when an internet gaming cafe opened with computers already hooked up in local lan, it was really fun to play racing and fps games. Obviously can't be as rowdy in public as in the home but it was a better alternative than having a few of us lug around extra consoles/computers and tvs/monitors to one person's house.

I do think any multiplayer games should have offline local lan or wirless lan / system link capability. If possible a way to connect to others online that doesn't require an external server which may eventually shut down.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Xionraserei1 wrote:I kind of feel like the classic controller is just to get some people like me to shut up lol. It looks too retro to be comfortable for most games. I like gamecube/playstation/xbox controller. and yes, I know you can use Gamecube controllers on the wii.

Nah, the Classic Controller is great. When they first came out with it, it was more for Virtual Console support I guess, but then more and more games started using it. It's what I used for Mario Kart Wii. Then they came out with the Classic Controller Pro, and it's even better.

Top: Classic Contoller Pro, Bottom: Original Classic Controller

From Top to Bottom: PS3, Classic Controller Pro, Xbox

I've used the PS2 and PS3 controller a lot, and it was my favorite between it, Gamecube, and Xbox. But I recently got the CC Pro with Goldeneye Wii and I've come to realize it's as good as if not better than the PS2/3 controller. It's very comfortable to hold, even for long periods of time.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

MrPopo wrote:It's not the deathknell for the LAN party, it's the deathknell for the "one guy buys the game and 20 people play it" LAN party. About every 3 months a bunch of us get together and play TF2 on their LAN and you need to be hooked up to the internet to be able to get to your backpack (which is vital).

I still view it as a killing blow to lan parties. like Zeroax said by having to go through online systems will create lag. Yes you can get by with a handful of guys in one house doing it, but what about something like fifty? The last lanparty I went to had 70 computers show up and there was only a 100/15 connection at the location and it was strained when half of them tried to play Starcraft 2. I love how steam has implemented it for the base games (the offline/lan mode), but for games like C&C4 were you have to be online regardless, that just kills it for me. I know why they did it, Im kinda surprised they didnt do it sooner, but I dont have to like it.

And yes, the days of one guy buying it and everyone playing it are mostly gone. But thats ok, I like paying for games I enjoy. Heck I own four or five copies of UT2k4 (including GOG and Steam). What this all means is I just need to compose a list of games that me and my friends like playing on lan and build blocks of four pcs to run them. Anyone know of a PSU that will power multiple motherboards?

As for the other topic:
CCpro just needs more resistance on the stick tops. The sticks roll find, but it needs the rings so my finger can find the center easier.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Why do the likes of Valve and Activision limit access to offline bots? Valve's bot code is shit, but it doesn't justify their policy. And we all know Activision's a lost cause.

Who else does this? id and DICE have good bots.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image