Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xionraserei1
64-bit

The fate of offline multiplayer

by Xionraserei1 Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:49 am

I know im not the only one who expresses the same concern. Seriously, What has happened to offline multiplayer? I remember having four friends over on the regular playing the same system screaming at each other and getting all excited and worked up over games and it was the best! Now all my friends are like, Why come over if I can play with you online? What the hell is that crap. I have tons of controllers and multi-taps sitting around collecting dust and it bugs the crap out of me.

I love and hate online multiplayer. For shooters and RPGs I can understand because I am a PC gamer at heart but it seems almost nobody plays other things anymore. I remember when internet came out for Dreamcast and it was an AWESOME experience, especially for PSO. It was simple, yet fun, and I enjoyed it. It has just gotten out of control now. It also does not help that most systems don't have more than 2 controller ports anymore and I also feel like wireless controllers contribute to that as well. did i mention I also hate wireless controllers?

BRING BACK OFFLINE MULTIPLAYER/LAN. I want my memories back! I want to game with my friends again in person!
KDub
Next-Gen

Re: The fate of offline multiplayer

by KDub Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:12 am

I agree, squeezing on a couch with a box of pizza and some beers with 3 other people is the best. Online is fun too but for me it could never replace gaming nights.
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

by Rurouni_Fencer Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:22 am

I agree as well! I'll take having a few of my closest buds over with a few brews and a couch to a hundred strangers and a headset any day!

My advice - counter attack! Use the internet to find local people in the area to meet up with and have a retro night! My local Play N Trade hosts a game night every Wednesday and people go at it in SNK vs Capcom, COD, Forza, Mario Kart, anything the group decides!
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
Xionraserei1
64-bit

by Xionraserei1 Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:25 am

Lol start a movement with pins and badges, Offline Multiplayer Awareness!
Betamax001
Next-Gen

by Betamax001 Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:53 am

I seldom have friends over for offline multiplayer anyway so it doesn't matter to me.
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
Bootaaay
128-bit

by Bootaaay Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:08 am

Yeah, I kind of miss it - for me, nothing in this online-era of gaming can compare to the experience of 16 player Halo system-link. That was some crazy shit, teams of 4 guys in different rooms of my house, all screaming at each other as we played Oddball on Chiron, King of the Hill on Sidewinder, Capture the Flag on Damnation or just plain old Team Deathmatch on Hang 'em High.
PSN; Bootaaay ---------------------------------------------------------------- XBL; B007444Y
Betamax001
Next-Gen

by Betamax001 Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:14 am

Xionraserei1 wrote: It also does not help that most systems don't have more than 2 controller ports anymore and I also feel like wireless controllers contribute to that as well. did i mention I also hate wireless controllers?

Why do you hate wireless controllers? After playing alot of PS3 and Gamecube (with the Wavebird) lately, it's hard for me going back to wires.
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
Xionraserei1
64-bit

by Xionraserei1 Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:35 am

I just hate paying for batteries and I don't like knowing that if there is an internal rechargeable that it will eventually crap out. i am always afraid of being too far away as well, I feel that there is a performance difference when it comes to wireless devices as well. It's like wireless internet vs. wired. Wired has the advantage always.
Xionraserei1
64-bit

by Xionraserei1 Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:35 am

[/quote]

Why do you hate wireless controllers? After playing alot of PS3 and Gamecube (with the Wavebird) lately, it's hard for me going back to wires.[/quote]

I just hate paying for batteries and I don't like knowing that if there is an internal rechargeable that it will eventually crap out. i am always afraid of being too far away as well, I feel that there is a performance difference when it comes to wireless devices as well. It's like wireless internet vs. wired. Wired has the advantage always.[quote="Betamax001"][quote="Xionraserei1"] It also does not help that most systems don't have more than 2 controller ports anymore and I also feel like wireless controllers contribute to that as well. did i mention I also hate wireless controllers?
(-_-)
64-bit

by (-_-) Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:47 am

This generation me and my friends have been bringing our ps3's and monitors over to each others houses just to be in the same room playing the same game, online. It's a lot of work but nothing beats the experience of playing with friends in the same room. Demon's Souls, Boarderlands, Unreal tournament 3, Modern warfare. We even play different games simultaneously just because it's more fun.
Return to General Gaming