1 you loved, 1 you disliked and 1 that surprised you

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ProfessorK
64-bit

Re: 1 you loved, 1 you disliked and 1 that surprised you

Post by ProfessorK »

Gamerforlife wrote:
ProfessorK wrote:Loved: Transformers War For Cybertron. It was finally a good Transformers game (REALLY good) AND based off of G1! Amazing!

Disliked: The GTA Series Aside from Vice City. No style, no class.

Surprised: Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions. A good Spider-Man game that isn't 16-bit? No way!

Actually, I think all of the best Spider-Man games weren't 16-bit. That's an interesting viewpoint you have though. Not one I've heard before

I enjoyed War for Cybertron, though I disliked certain aspects of its design. I think they got more right than wrong and even wrote a review for it, which isn't something I typically do. That may be the best compliment I can give it

I read your review and I would be under the "very hardcore fan" category that you said would give the game a 9/10 :D . I may have seen the game through a fans eyes, however, I did legitimately enjoy it . I didn't put it down till I was done!

As far as Spider-Man games go, I've always been a big fan of the "Maximum Carnage" type games. I did forget about the PSone Spider-Man games that I remember being pretty good. All the others I tried and greatly disliked (those movie games were awful, imo)
yosh
16-bit

Post by yosh »

Loved: Scribblenauts, I played it for HOURS.

Disliked: Call Of Duty series, i just really dislike these games.

Suprised: Fallout 3, this game looked iffy, but it ended up being the only game I racked up 160+ hours on.
ieatramen
24-bit

Post by ieatramen »

Loved: Dead Space. This game had me on edge every time I played it -so awesome.

Disliked: FF13. Actually more along the lines of hated it. So unbelievably linear and bland. I'll admit I liked the challenge of the monster hunts, but they had nothing to do with the story. I kept waiting for something cool to happen and it never happened!

Surprised: Super Meat Boy. Such a good game. Unlock-able characters, instant respawn after death, (which is great for players like me that love flying through levels even if it means dying in stupid places over and over) a good sense of humor; it's just a great game that caught me by pleasant surprise.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Loved: GTA 3/Vice City/San Andreas. I only finished GTA 3 two times, cause by then Vice City was out. I finished Vice City like 5 times, with close to 100% once (damn stadium events) and played the hell out of San Andreas. GTA IV on the other hand was such a let down.

Also Skies of Arcadia and Luigi's Mansion. Loved those games.

Disliked: Super Mario Sunshine/GTA IV. Both main reasons I bought a Gamecube/PS3 and they were a let down compared to their predecessors (GTA4 more than Mario)

Surprised: Little Big Planet. Bought a PS3 for Valkyria Chronicles, and heard that this was going to be a good 2D platformer, so I said what the hell I might as well get the pretty PS3 bundle with sackboy on the box. The result? After spending about 40 hours playing around with the level editor, 1 platinum trophy (and 100% all DLC trophies) endless hours of playing online levels, and over 60€ spent on DLC, my favorite game of 2008-2009....too bad I broke up with my girlfriend. We loved playing that game together so much (even made a love/romantic level for her) and now everytime I play LBP I feel very sad.

Anyway here is what a table in my living room looks like :P

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/8312/20100915140146.jpg

also bought a PSP for LBP.....and played LBP PSP for 1 hour...and sold the PSP
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Loved: Etrian Odyssey series. The game has just the right level of challenge that's offset by the party customization and planning. And drawing in your own map adds something to the experience you don't get when a map is provided for you. Plus, Atlus has done a good job of adding to the experience with each installment, instead of resting on their laurels. First game established things, second game added a ton of improvements to the base experience to polish it, and the third game adds a lot more customization features and the sea exploration for optional bosses.

Disliked: Cross Edge. I wasn't expecting a magnum opus here, but this game didn't even try to raise its bar. The main draw (aside from dressing Morrigan in sexy outfits) is the combat system, and it doesn't get good until midway through the game. Meanwhile, several of the enemy fights have stepped up in difficulty without you having the resources to easily combat them. It employs the cardinal sin of AP-based RPG systems; forced storing up of AP to be able to make real headway. In many fights you essentially need to one shot an enemy to be able to survive and this requires either a proper set of characters or skipping every other turn to store AP (and in later fights it needs both). The whole point of a crossover game is to be able to use the characters you want, but the restrictive skill chaining system in Cross Edge requires you to pick parties from characters that synergize well based on arbitrarily chosen skill type designations (not like this is a fighting game where you want a fast guy for some matchups and a projectile guy for others).

Surprised: Mass Effect. Until recently Bioware wasn't a ringing endorsement for me. While I enjoyed KOTOR I found BGII to have a terrible interface that made it very hard to get in to (and consequently I never got into the story parts). So after playing Dragon Age I was like "That was awesome! I wonder what else they've done," and saw that aside from KOTOR they did Mass Effect. I passed it up when it was first released since it was a third person 360 shooter with RPG elements. The last console shooter with RPG elements I played was DX:IW, and my thoughts on that game are well known at this point. But I figured even if the gameplay was so-so on the PC the story would at least be good. Well, let's just say I'm glad I picked up Mass Effect in December 09, because waiting the month for Mass Effect 2 was pretty torturous.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
CAv
24-bit

Post by CAv »

Loved: Mass Effect, Halo, Alan Wake. (Guess I'm an Xbox fan.)

Disliked: Kingdom Hearts. I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get into the gameplay. It was way too cumbersome for me.

Surprised: Limbo. Where did this come from?? Can we have some more??
Systems: Atari 7800, NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Game Boy Pocket (2), Game Boy Color, GBA SP (2), DS
Lord_Santa
128-bit

Post by Lord_Santa »

Love: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl

knew nothing about the game, just found it in a store back at release, haven't stopped playing since (3 years and counting)

the best damn FPS out there, ever.

Hate: Fallout 3

having spent... hundreds, if not a thousand hours with this game, modded it, played through it ranted about it, defended it, given up, taken it back - I've come to the conclusion that I have played it enough to justify hate for it

Surprised:

Minecraft took me by complete surprise; had tried out the on-line version for a couple of minutes, found it boring
decided to look further into it a couple of months later; purchased the full-game; tried out Single Player Survival

building castles, dungeons and everything in-between on a daily basis

:edit

yes, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl has finally decrowned Quake1 on my list of best FPS's out there
C-64 will never die
- only the players
Lord Huggington
8-bit

Post by Lord Huggington »

Loved: Mass Effect - There haven't been nearly enough sci-fi RPGs to come along, but this one did an excellent job of filling that void (ditto for the sequel). I've always enjoyed Bioware's "Choose Your Ethical Path" elements in their RPGs and it worked as well as ever here. With all the star systems to explore as well, this game kept me busy for a good long time.

Hated: Urban Reign - I could not stand this game. Extremely cheap AI, and a terrible story. It annoyed me to no end, and yet some people still try and flog this thing as some horribly misunderstood work of genius. >_<

Surprised: Shox - A rally racing game that I'd almost dare to call charming. It's a crying shame that it didn't garner more attention. It came out at the height of gamers "Ew, EA?" phase, but it really impressed me with its quality.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Lord Huggington wrote:Loved: Mass Effect - There haven't been nearly enough sci-fi RPGs to come along, but this one did an excellent job of filling that void (ditto for the sequel). I've always enjoyed Bioware's "Choose Your Ethical Path" elements in their RPGs and it worked as well as ever here. With all the star systems to explore as well, this game kept me busy for a good long time.

Hated: Urban Reign - I could not stand this game. Extremely cheap AI, and a terrible story. It annoyed me to no end, and yet some people still try and flog this thing as some horribly misunderstood work of genius. >_<

Surprised: Shox - A rally racing game that I'd almost dare to call charming. It's a crying shame that it didn't garner more attention. It came out at the height of gamers "Ew, EA?" phase, but it really impressed me with its quality.

I haven't played Urban Reign personally, but I've watched others play it. The thing is poetry in motion when you watch skilled people play it. It seems to have quite a deep combat system. I tend to agree with it being underrated

I'm noticing I'm not the only one here who loves Mass Effect
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

Lord Huggington wrote:Surprised: Shox - A rally racing game that I'd almost dare to call charming. It's a crying shame that it didn't garner more attention. It came out at the height of gamers "Ew, EA?" phase, but it really impressed me with its quality.
I know! Shox really should have had a sequel. Not only is the Sega Rally-style gameplay great. But the awesome graphics and rock steady framerate (@ 60 fps I've heard) are extremely impressive for a PS2 racing game.
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)