1 you loved, 1 you disliked and 1 that surprised you

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
t0yrobo
Next-Gen

Re: 1 you loved, 1 you disliked and 1 that surprised you

Post by t0yrobo »

Loved - There really aren't many new games that really stand out to me, there's lots of fun games but none that have struck a chord with me. The best I can come up with is the Bit Trip series.

Disliked -Deathsmiles, I hate to say it but this game just doesn't do much for me. I was pretty excited for it but it disappointed me. I'd like to give the jp release a try if I ever have the chance.

Surprised - Saints Row 2, I generally don't like GTA style games but I love this game. One of the funnest I've played in quite awhile. I'm really looking forward to the next in the series.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

saturnfan wrote:Hated - while I wouldn't say I "hate" it, I have never been a fan of the GTA series. I don't see the entertainment value in glorifying the dregs of society.

It was actually the "sandbox"gameplay that I found intriguing about Grand Theft Auto 3. Then I played Vice City, realized it was more of the same(but slightly more refined)and pretty much lost interest in the GTA franchise. I only picked up Liberty City Stories on the PSP because I was amazed that the PSP could run a proper GTA game and had to see it with my own eyes
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
chuckbanzai
16-bit

Post by chuckbanzai »

What a fun topic. I might edit this later and add some more games.

Loved Earth Defense Force 2017 My god I have played the heck out of this game. It could very well be my favorite current gen title. I know the ps2 ones are better, but I am trying to stay recent.

Hated Castlevania Lord's of Shadow Really just a sloppy game overall. While I am a Castlevania devout, it is not because of the lack of Metroidvania style. I just found the story to be diluted, the characters to be bland, and the game not being canon at all was just icing on the cake.

Surprised Dokapon Kingdom (Wii) Man talk about a surprise hit. It is like Dragon Quest mixed with Mario Party(sans minigames). You can level up, change class, fight monsters, and even govern your own towns. The world is pretty large and there are even dungeons to run through. I was really not expecting anything with this one, but I have put 10s of hours into this game(about 4 last night with some friends). Go buy this, or I will find you and beat you up.
Last edited by chuckbanzai on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Savior of 200X, Current holder of the Triforce of Courage, 5 time Mutant League Champion for the Galactic Aces! He's here to show you his moves! Lets give a big welcome to ChuckBanzai!
DaneSaga

Post by DaneSaga »

I think I will do several games and just narrow it down to 2010.

Liked- Bayonetta, DeathSmiles, Sin & Punishment 2, Vanquish, Ketsui, Espgaluda II, Yakuza 3, No More Heroes 2, Last Window, BlazBlue Continuum Shift, Valkyria Chronicles II.

Disliked- Darksiders, God of War 3, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Final Fantasy XIII, Bioshock 2

Surprised- Nier, Fragile Dreams, Metroid other M
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

Loved: Bioshock (Xbox 360). A great game is like a great book - hard to put down. And for the period of about a week and a half, I had trouble every night putting this game down so that I could get some sleep before work. As many gamers and critics alike have mentioned before, the story and scenery of Rapture is truly magnificent. But the fact that the gameplay, weapons and enemy AI were all so incredibly tight at the same time really solidified that this was a game that was going to set the bar higher for story-based FPS's, and I feel that it really accomplished that.

Disliked: Deathsmiles (Xbox 360). Considering the fact that this was the first game that I spent $50 on in many years, this game did not live up to its expectations with me at all. It's way too short, there's no option to set the number of continues, and the fact that they included a bonus faceplate that could now be considered worthless if you're an Xbox 360 Slim owner really makes me angry that I paid this much for this sub-par, mediocre shooter.

Surprised: Halo 2 (Xbox). After feeling very underwhelmed with the first Halo, I didn't expect much from this sequel. But the excellent graphics and interesting story of the first game was enough to at least persuade me to have a go at the sequel. And wow, I'm glad that I did! The graphics are sharper and more detailed, the AI is smarter, the campaign level designs are MUCH more varied throughout, and the Arbiter bits were an interesting little side bonus. Overall, a GREAT game! Especially since I only paid like 2 bucks for it! :D
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

Loved-Battlefield Bad Company 2-Probably the only recent modern warfare FPS that I actually enjoy.. It isn't on the same level as BF 2 with the class restrictions and smaller maps, but still fun and a very good console shooter.. I've been a fan of this series since 1942 and still have the WW II anthology..

Hated-Super Street Fighter 4-Just a mediocre Street Fighter game that appeals to more causal gamers and plays basically like street fighter II with supers... Most of the classic characters are ten times stronger than the rest of the cast, and you are rewarded for turtling and blocking infinitely(which is penalized in Arc System fighters).. This game is a joke and a Huge step down from the III series...

Surprised-Gundemonium Collection-When I first downloaded this game package, I thought I was going to get ripped off by playing mediocre shooters... But I bought it anyways because there really isn't much of a choice for SHMUPs on the PS3.. What I got was a very fun game that is hard as hell... Well 3 games.. They cover a wide range of shooters, from the double sided horizontal, to horizontal, to vertical.. 15 bucks was a great value for 3 games with 5 stages and multiple difficulty levels and even secrets to boot.. There is even an option to record your gameplay and upload the replay directly to youtube from your PS3 which is awesome.. This game is very good to play drunk as well since you know you're going to die a million times anyways.. The only downside is the music is god awful, but they make up for it by allowing custom soundtracks.. Glad this was on PSN, granted I may be the only one that actually likes this package..
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
Yiddishpilot
16-bit

Post by Yiddishpilot »

Loved: Ninja Five-O

Disliked: Gears of War 1 & 2

Surprised: DJ Hero
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

1- I loved Ninja Gaiden Black. This game is pure fun, I never understood why this game is mentioned as one of the most difficult games. You die for a reason, and practice makes perfect. Its never frustrating...You know what? I guess I will go back and play it again!

2-I hated Call of Duty Modern Warfare . I know the game is solid and the single player campaign is really good, but it was made for online play. With such huge levels, slow movement (unlike halo), I really don't like playing this game for my personal taste. I am not saying its bad, i just didn't like it myself.

3-Surprised : Dead Rising, fresh idea , not your usual game, tough , a lot of re playability value. I think this game was the kind of game where the publisher asked the employees "What kind of game do you want to make?" and they let them go with it
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

kingmohd84 wrote:1- I loved Ninja Gaiden Black. This game is pure fun, I never understood why this game is mentioned as one of the most difficult games. You die for a reason, and practice makes perfect. Its never frustrating...You know what? I guess I will go back and play it again!

Surely you haven't tried the higher difficulties yet, the game gets much harder on successive playthroughs. I will admit that a lot of the enemies have abusable patterns, though.
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

I'll do this on hard mode and go with games I had preconceived notions about before trying.

loved: Fallout: New Vegas. Based purely on how much I enjoyed Fallout 3, I knew this one would be a big hit. and the verdict? it's steller.

Didn't like: Demon Souls. I don't get it, but I find myself very very seldom returning to it. Just not that much fun to me.

Surprised: Heavy Rain. I honestly didn't think Heavy Rain would capture my interest as Indigo Prophecy was kind of a mess. It ended up being a strong contender for game of the year.