Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Frizz.Meister
32-bit

1 you loved, 1 you disliked and 1 that surprised you

by Frizz.Meister Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:12 pm

Looking at the recent games/series. They tend to be either massivly hyped or never mentioned. So my question, what game/series have you loved? Have you disliked? Has surprised you?

EDIT: Recent stuff only 5-10 years (waaay to easy if you go back to pre 2001)

Ill start with:

Loved - Halo series. I know im in a minority here on RB but hey differences make us stronger

Disliked - GTA. Kept trying to get into it but at the end of the day, i view gangsters as idiots

Surprised - Oblivion. Supposedly glitchy and broken, but was 100+ hours of fun and beauty
Last edited by Frizz.Meister on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: 1 you loved, 1 you disliked and 1 that surprised you

by dsheinem Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:16 pm

If we are only talking about new IPs from the last 5-10 years or so...

Loved - God of War Series
Disliked - Every GTA game after Vice City
Surprised - Dragon Age Series
Crystalis
8-bit

by Crystalis Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:25 pm

Loved: Dragon Age Series
Disliked: Call Of Duty Series
Surprised: Tiger Woods Series (my favorite sports game series)
joehero
32-bit

by joehero Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:21 pm

1 loved = Beyond Good and Evil. Honorable mention Cave Story
1 dislike = Onimusha. Hated the controls
1 surpise = Sly Cooper. What a fun game. ( Im a generation behind)
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

by AmishSamurai Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:31 pm

Loved- Dragon Age
Disliked- Final Fantasy XII
Surprised- Cave Story
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
swiftzx
Next-Gen

by swiftzx Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Loved- Timesplitters
Disliked- Viewtiful Joe (I should try it out again :| )
Surprised- N+
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Re: 1 you loved, 1 you disliked and 1 that surprised your mom

by hashiriya1 Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Loved: Gran Turismo 4. I still play this game regularly. Hurry up, GT5!
Hated: Need for Speed series. I just do not like these games. The Fast n Furious of racing games.
Surprised: GRID. Simply the best arcade-style racing game this generation, IMO.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:41 pm

Loved-Mass Effect series. The masters of storytelling managed to actually mix in real time action into their games in a satisfying way(Jade Empire's combat was crap and Knights of the Old Republic's combat only LOOKED like it was in real time). In fact, I find myself enjoying the gameplay in the ME games more than I do REAL third person shooters. I also feel like the Mass Effect series has becoming gaming's equivalent to Star Wars or Star Trek. They've created a big, epic, detailed universe that is just begging for more stories and games. I actually bought the four issue comic book prequel to Mass Effect 2. In my personal opinion, this is THE best series of this generation of consoles so far

Disliked- I've always liked Resident Evil, but the fifth installment dissapointed me. I didn't have a problem with the change in direction of RE 4, but RE5 took what RE4 did and shit all over it.

Surprised-Viva Pinata series. I knew they were going to be something different from games I had played before, but I really had no idea just how charmed I would become by these games or how addicted I would get to them. The second game wasn't everything I wanted it to be, but still retained much of what I loved about the first one. As a pet lover, it's rare to find a game that evokes the same feelings in me as real life animals do. The only other game that provided a similar feeling to me was Pikmin 2

Individual games that surprised me would be Batman:Arkham Asylum and Castle Crashers, both of which turned out better than I expected, much better in fact
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:44 pm

Frizz.Meister wrote:Looking at the recent games/series. They tend to be either massivly hyped or never mentioned. So my question, what game/series have you loved? Have you disliked? Has surprised you?

Loved - Chibi Robo. One of my favourite games of all time. I thought about lots of potential games for this one but this was the one of only ones of my absolute favourite games ever that was from a series that didnt exist before the year 2000. A magnificent game. I kinda want to mention a whole bunch more stuff for this category too XD

Disliked - This was a hard one, because I wanted to name a series I expected a lot of and felt let down about. But Frankly, I couldn;t think of any that did in a significant way. So I'm going to say Call of Duty. Not because they're bad, because they aren't, but because they turned my friends away from the diverse selection of games we used to play and turned them into FPS nerds :P. Halo to me isn't as bad, it feels more friendly to less experienced players to me, and options like low gravity grav hammer matches with vehicles means you can customise sily matches just for fun.

Surprised - I'm cheating here and giving it to 3 series I dont think the me of 10 years ago would've thought he'd like at all, and have become some of my favourites of recent years. Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton and Another Code (Trace Memory). Focused around lots of talking and clicking through menus, and yet so incredibly engaging. The 11 year old me wouldn't have taken the risk on a game with no action, no adventure, no platforming and no pokemon (;) ), but the 21 year old me is very glad I did.

Arggh! I want to add Pikmin somewhere! Oh, and Animal Crossing! And Fire Emblem and Advance Wars! And Elite Beat Agents! and Mario & Luigi RPGs! and so many more!

I've really really enjoyed the last 10 years of games.
Last edited by alienjesus on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saturnfan
128-bit

by saturnfan Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 pm

Loved - Breakdown. I don't care that it didn't do everything perfect because at the end of the day it remains my pick for most underrated Xbox game.

Hated - while I wouldn't say I "hate" it, I have never been a fan of the GTA series. I don't see the entertainment value in glorifying the dregs of society.

Surprised - Mana Khemia series, really fun RPGs that have you make all your items through alchemy rather than having to find them/buy them.
Return to General Gaming