German exclusive games?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ivo
Next-Gen

German exclusive games?

Post by Ivo »

I know there are several Japanese exclusive games, several of which are actually considered high-quality games.

I'm interested in knowing about German exclusives. Probably these will be PC or home computer games from before 2000 (or indie games, if after that?)... As far as I know home computers like the C64 or the Amiga were popular and in particular strategy games at the time were often developed by German devs. Usually though the titles got translated to English as it made sense considering the European Market (and that English opens up the audience a lot, even back then).

In any case, some older or more niche games are bound to have remained in German, and maybe there are some nice gems... Anyone here knows of any?

In case anyone is wondering, I've been trying to improve my German reading skills and knowing and playing good exclusives would be good added motivation.

Ivo.
Nullface
24-bit

Re: German exclusive games?

Post by Nullface »

Woodcutter Simulator

d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

There are also Korean exclusive ps2 games.
Stuff like this needs to put on a new site.
Territorial exclusive games.com
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

Germany got a modified version of Contra called Probotector, and a modified version of Contra 3 called Super Probotector.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

lisalover1 wrote:Germany got a modified version of Contra called Probotector, and a modified version of Contra 3 called Super Probotector.

So did the rest of Europe.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

alienjesus wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:Germany got a modified version of Contra called Probotector, and a modified version of Contra 3 called Super Probotector.

So did the rest of Europe.

Huh. For some reason I always thought it was a German exclusive.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Nullface wrote:Woodcutter Simulator

Cute :roll:

Ivo, I suggest checking out some adventure games because Germany is a large market for such a niche genre. Wish I could recommend specific titles though.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Nah adventures are more of a French/Belgian thing. Not that Germany ain't an important market for them.

But German game developers mostly make strategy games, and hardcore (and I mean really hardcore) old style computer RPGs. Now THAT will be a worthy excercise for developing your German comprehession skills.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

Give me some examples of good untranslated ones please :)

All the ones I know have English version (I'm thinking hex-based strategy games and Realms of Arkania games based on Das Schwarzen Auge RPG setting - I think that is how is written).

Ivo.
Luftikus
8-bit

Post by Luftikus »

Hi.

I'm from Germany and maybe I can recommend some interesting games that haven't seen a release outside Germany yet.

Germany is fomous for Adventure Games. Latest examples are

The Whispered World

A new Beginning

But also many other Adventures had been developed in Germany like the Ankh Series, the latest games of the Simon the Sorcerer franchise or The Book of unwritten Tales.

Germany also had famous Software developers in the past like BlueByte (mostly known for The Settlers, but there are also some games where I don't know if they ever had an outside-of-Germany release like Chewy Esc from F5) or Rainbow Arts (mostly known for Turrican design legend Manfred Trenz; apart from that they developed games like Mad TV or lovely Amiga Shoot em Ups like Kataris, Apidya or Z-Out).

Software 2000, also a German studio, released tons of German exclusive games like the famous Bundesliga Manager series, Pizza Connection, Archibald Applebrook's Abenteuer, Talismann, Der Reeder, etc.

Thalion Software released two wonderful RPGs for the Amiga called Ambermoon and Amberstar (both developed in Germany, not sure about an outside release).

Another example for awesome German games are "Die Nordlandtrilogie". I think it was released in the US as Realms of Arkania.