Feedback on Future Racketboy Mascot

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
racketboy
Site Admin

Feedback on Future Racketboy Mascot

Post by racketboy »

I'm working with a very talented pixel artist, David Mauro to work on a refreshed logo and new mascot for Racketboy

(here's his stuff)
http://www.dmauro.com/
http://dmauro.tumblr.com/archive

Since I've been using Beat from Jet Set Radio for my avatar for so long, I wanted to have something similar for a mascot without being too similar (avoid legal issues with Sega). I'm also a fan of super-deformed style, like that in Super Puzzle Fighter. And, of course, I want it to have some retro flair (the end product should be in pixel format)

So anyway, Dave sent over the first sketch of a character to me. I wanted to get your guys' feedback on it before he turns it into pixels. Please share some constructive criticism.

BTW, I already mentioned to him the possibility of adding headphones, so he's gonna work on a version with those added.

Thanks!

racketboy2.png
racketboy2.png (24.24 KiB) Viewed 1242 times

Update: w/ Headphones
racketboy3.png
racketboy3.png (25.59 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
Crabmaster2000
128-bit

Re: Feedback on Future Racketboy Mascot

Post by Crabmaster2000 »

Im a fan!

EDIT: Definately like the Headphones one best.
Last edited by Crabmaster2000 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/2000Crabmaster?feature=mhee

250 NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I'd have to see the pixel version - but I am not a fan of the giant anime-style eyes.
ProfessorK
64-bit

Post by ProfessorK »

Looks great! I think the headphone-less one is better though. It just looks like a little too much headgear.
wilsona26
16-bit

Post by wilsona26 »

I dont like that new fellow. Id say get sega's permission if its easy enough, and just keep it the way it is.
Dylan
Next-Gen

Post by Dylan »

Not bad. I'm curious as to how this will translate to a pixelated form, because there's a lot of visual detail on the sketches.

I personally feel like the design is a little crowded, mostly around the legs. The other thing is the mouth, I don't like the weird smirk he's making. Other than that, I think it's alright. I assume the final version be colorized?
yomomma1
128-bit

Post by yomomma1 »

:/
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

wilsona26 wrote:I dont like that new fellow. Id say get sega's permission if its easy enough, and just keep it the way it is.

Sega's not gonna bother with me. Plus I want something of our own.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

ProfessorK wrote:Looks great! I think the headphone-less one is better though. It just looks like a little too much headgear.

What about headphones, but no goggles?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Dylan wrote:Not bad. I'm curious as to how this will translate to a pixelated form, because there's a lot of visual detail on the sketches.

I personally feel like the design is a little crowded, mostly around the legs. The other thing is the mouth, I don't like the weird smirk he's making. Other than that, I think it's alright. I assume the final version be colorized?

Yeah, it will be color.