Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
cubingmelons
8-bit

I am terrible at Metal Gear

by cubingmelons Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:10 am

I am seriously terrible at these games, and the only one I've ever played in any capacity was Metal Gear Solid. I own most of them including the two disk version of Subsistence and I really love the world they build for it, but I am so awful at these games. They just feel really alien to me.

What I'm asking is, having most of these games at my disposal, where is a good place to start? Should I go back to Metal Gear Solid, or should I play the MSX versions of Metal Gear 1 and 2, or what?
neilencio
64-bit

Re: I am terrible at Metal Gear

by neilencio Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:25 am

Me too.

My case applies to Splinter Cell as well - I kinda liked seeing other people play it, and gameplay videos would almost always convince me to try it out, only to find out how terrible I am at within the first few minutes of play. Basically, I suck at any game that requires patience and strategic thinking. Doesn't mean I will never have fun playing, I just won't win (also, I use cheat codes).

The exception is Batman: Arkham Asylum. That game I enjoyed and finished without cheating, even though it is primarily stealth-oriented.

I guess the Batman brings out the best in everyone.
Visit my wife's blog: Pinay Geek
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:58 am

That's quite interesting. MGS is the easiest game in the entire series. Learn that game inside out, without the radar. Then apply the skills acquired from that and go play MGS2, without the radar. Once you master that, MGS3+4 (no radar by default) are child's play.

You just have to realise that the games are built on repeating sets of moves for the pieces. It's basically a gigantic game of chess, with guns and explosives. Observe each room/area like a puzzle. Take calculated risks rather than going gung-ho. Going gung-ho will get you killed over and over again.

I think the main thing to take from the games is that every enemy in the game is based on a simple set of rules. Walk here - observe - walk there - observe all whilst a subroutine is checking for any abnormalities, ie corpses, bodies, foot prints, noises. Learn to exploit the subroutine by using decoys. Once you learn the ai pattern, exploiting the enemies is routine.

If all else fails, use the tranq gun on MGS2 and above.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Nullface
24-bit

by Nullface Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:05 pm

Stealth games are really boring to me and I lose interest really fast.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

by AmishSamurai Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:26 pm

I remember the first time I was playing MGS, I thought how cool it looked when the credits were rolling while you were in action, and it made me feel like a total badass. I snuck into the first room, analyzed the guard's movement, then got shot because my feet were sticking out from the area I was underneath and I didn't realize it.

My friend was trying to say how easy MGS was, when a) he played on easy mode, so no shit (I usually go normal mode at minimum by principle) and b) he had The Twin Snakes, so he could do all the shooty parts in first person, which IMO were harder than the stealth parts because of how fragile Snake is and third-person is harder to shoot from.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
fingersmaloy
64-bit

by fingersmaloy Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Niode, that's great advice.

I, too, stumbled and embarrassed my way through every major game in this series, never really grasping how to be good at any of them except MGS1 and Peace Walker. I think there's something about Peace Walker that made your courses of action more clear. I always felt more in control of my surroundings. By the way that game is amazing. If only there was online multiplayer!!!
My game-related blog.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:10 pm

I have beaten the Metal Gear games I've bothered to play through (NES, plus Solid 1&2); however, I always find them hard to get into because I play so many action games where I can run in guns blazing and take everyone down. It always takes me awhile to get accustomed to playing stealth games because I usually play without patience and run wherever I want and shoot everything that moves. You have to remind yourself that that is not what these games are about and get used to the idea of sleuthing around. It's a different mindset, but once you get used to it, they aren't so hard. Niode gives good advice about how to actual play a Metal Gear game.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:10 pm

I on the other hand found the Splinter Cell reboot aka Conviction to be an unforgivable abomination. Haven't played MGS4 yet, but the over-the-top stories (which are deeper than what they seem) keep bringing me back. Both MGS and SC are child's play of course when compared to Thief.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
TheyCallMeTheSwede
128-bit

by TheyCallMeTheSwede Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:07 pm

Use your Radar
Top 101 Favorite Games of All Time

CURRENTLY OWNED: NES, SNES, GC, GB, GBA:SP, GEN, SAT, DC, PS2, PS3, PSP, X360, NGPC, Neo-Geo AES, PCE Duo, PS4, PSX, oXbox

$ALE: NOTTING!!! ABSORUTRY NOTTING!!!!!!

WANTED: CDX, 3DO, Amiga 32CD, Master System, Wii

Xbox Live: AHTNF
PSN: CallMeTheSwede

Be a pal, Check out my Photography
http://callmetheswede.deviantart.com
Niode
Next-Gen

by Niode Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:48 pm

TheyCallMeTheSwede wrote:Use your Radar

Won't work on MGS 3 and 4... Best to learn to deal without it before it gets removed from your equipment and you won't have a clue what to do.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Return to General Gaming