Console Icon Creation

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Re: Console Icon CREATION!! Whoa

Post by Jrecee »

Head over to a spriting forum for ideas. But honestly, the best thing you can do is zoom in and look at the other ones and how they're done.

But having made lots and lots of sprites I can say that

- draw/paint a bigger scale version of it; drawing a bigger version seems much easier to work with then doing a small one right off the start
- once you have mastered the big boy version just redraw everything down to the size you want, using the big boy version as a template

won't work. Making sprites and making a big image are completely different. Although if you make a big version and shrink it down (with aliasing) then analyze it you'll learn something. You'll also learn something if you make a big version and shrink it down without aliasing.
neilencio
64-bit

Post by neilencio »

I think the problem is you tried to put in too much detail into the icon, you should try to simplify it, include only the most important details that would make it recognizable as a genesis.
Visit my wife's blog: Pinay Geek
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

Post by optmusprimenumber »

guess i'll try again... i should probably use something a little more advanced than paint... but if anyone who actually has made any of the icons or can make them stumbles across this, feel free to take a shot at it, i'm sure a few people will appreciate it, i know i will (it's the only gen i actually have... i used to have the model 1)
slowslow325
Next-Gen

Post by slowslow325 »

I thought it was a Jaguar...

But anyway, making pixel art is just that, an art. Some people have it some people don't, but I suppose anyone could do it if they spent insane amounts of time working on it.

Although, from the little "pixel art" I've done like this, it sometimes works to get a top down photo of a Genesis 3, then get a grid at the resolution you need, place it over top of it, then manually go in and set colors in each box. Then, just use that as reference.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

I gotta say, you picked one of the harder ones to make. For one, it's smaller, so if you're trying to do it in scale with other ones it'll be tricky. Then there's the fact that the genesis 3 isn't that recognizable. Even a really crappily done nes is going to be easy to recognize. Also, it has a lot of little details and stuff to it, where other systems tend to have some sort of dramatic look to them that sets them apart. The genesis 3 isn't a very bold design.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

well, scale isn't really important... none of the other icons are scaled to each other...i just want it to look as good... i mean, all the other ones have all the controller ports, all the switches, and all the contours/vents/etc. ... the textures suggested by closely related shades... perhaps, if i just "repaint" it with less of the grainy look (which admittedly came out wrong)... i dunno
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

You don't need anything more advanced than paint to make pixel art. There might be some programs that have things laid out in such a way that make it slightly easier, but there's no magic pixel art tool (that I'm aware of). Most the stuff you see on pixel art sites and forums are done in paint. The original, not that crappy ribbon interfaced piece of shit.
BlackDS
Next-Gen

Post by BlackDS »

...what exactly is the big deal about having little pictures of every console you have?
Ack wrote:You WILL be respectful of each other, or I WILL shove my mod foot so far up your Internet ass that your avatar will wince. Do you understand, children?

My Sale thread, lots of nintendo, neo-geo, and sega stuff!
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24526&p=305373#p305373
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

BlackDS wrote:...what exactly is the big deal about having little pictures of every console you have?

it's just neato... and "neato" is always a big deal
final fight cd
Next-Gen

Post by final fight cd »

i think it is pretty cool idea. plus they look pixelated, giving them a 'retro' look.

i am thinking of trying my hand at the genesis 3. it might be fun project to try. and if i post it, you can give me all the hell you want, optimusprimenumber.
if you took a shit, please put it back