Indie Game Publishing.

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
J T
Next-Gen

Re: Indie Game Publishing.

Post by J T »

PC is usually the best platform for an indie game because the game can be patched to fix any bugs. Without a budget for hiring play testers, it's kind of hard to release an indie for the console.

I am not looking for specific genres when I buy indie games. In fact, it's best if they don't fit a genre. I've bought indie games like The Path, World of Goo, The Void, Zeno Clash, and Braid largely because they don't necessarily fit neatly into genre classifications. I see innovation as the primary selling point for indie games. They can take chances that the big corps just aren't willing to take. The way I see it, if an indie game doesn't do SOMETHING creative, then it can only hope to be a watered down version of a big budget game, therefore it's not worth my time or my dime.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

J T wrote:PC is usually the best platform for an indie game because the game can be patched to fix any bugs. Without a budget for hiring play testers, it's kind of hard to release an indie for the console.

he said he wanted advise on what we'd BUY as consumers, not what's best to develop on. In my opinion there's something infinitely cooler about a new cartridge being released than anything disc-based.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

noiseredux wrote:
J T wrote:PC is usually the best platform for an indie game because the game can be patched to fix any bugs. Without a budget for hiring play testers, it's kind of hard to release an indie for the console.

he said he wanted advise on what we'd BUY as consumers, not what's best to develop on. In my opinion there's something infinitely cooler about a new cartridge being released than anything disc-based.

He asked about what format we would buy on and I have more confidence as a consumer about buying a game that I know can be patched. If it's on a console, then the game comes as is. I don't have enough faith in most indie developers to assume they will get it all right the first time. If there is some game breaking bug, I want to know that the developer can fix it after the fact.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

J T wrote:
He asked about what format we would buy on and I have more confidence as a consumer about buying a game that I know can be patched. If it's on a console, then the game comes as is. I don't have enough faith in most indie developers to assume they will get it all right the first time. If there is some game breaking bug, I want to know that the developer can fix it after the fact.

agh, I understand what yr saying now. Ok.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I'd buy (and have bought) every homebrew castleroid/metroidvania I found for sale. I recently bought Knight'n'Grail for Commodore 64 (awesome game!). I think making a unique platformer with some innovative idea would be a better idea than yet another metroidvania tho. As far as making lots of money, I hear the Iphone is the most lucrative platform, tho having the same game available on Xbox and Wii would cover all your bases. Also, it seems that because of the market saturation, having a free SWF version to get some game recognition on flash gaming sites would be a good idea.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Anapan wrote:I'd buy (and have bought) every homebrew castleroid/metroidvania I found for sale. I recently bought Knight'n'Grail for Commodore 64 (awesome game!).

what other ones are there?
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Cave Story (wii)
Aquaria
Bunny Must Die (okay, I tried real hard to buy it... but couldn't.)
Hmm I thought there was more, but the rest of them are freeware.
I'll be buying La Mulana for Wii when it comes out.
Edit: Oh! VVVVVV (I cheated and played the full version at my friend's house)
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
flamepanther
Next-Gen

Post by flamepanther »

As far as indie games that aren't freeware, I buy most of mine via WiiWare or Steam.
Frizz.Meister
32-bit

Post by Frizz.Meister »

Games in the style of older games but with the appearance of newer games. For example Shadow complex which is 90% super metroid, or castle crashers which clearly is influenced by guardian heroes.

One of the reasons i've fallen in love with XBLA. 90% crap but that 10% is cheap and amazing.
gennss
128-bit

Post by gennss »

I wonder why NG_Dev Team didnt self-publish. There's like a 200 companies that will press 1000 cd's for a 1000 bux. I would imagine it'd be a bigger cut than having someone else publish it. Not to mention being able to sell it cheaper and sell more copies. (I mean going to make about 10 bux no matter what right? May as well go for volume)
--
Gennss
--