Sega Outrun Online Arcade TERMINATED

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Outrun Online Arcade TERMINATED

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Niode wrote:You still aren't understanding my point. Please go back and read my posts. Twice. Just to make sure.

No, I get it. You're ticked because you aren't allowed to re-downloadd a copy of the download you bought.

To just put it bluntly and forgive me if I sound rude: Tough luck, welcome to reality. Stuff is sometimes available forever and sometimes it's an unplanned limited edition. You don't expect to get a second free copy of a CD or DVD you bought if you loose, misplace, scratch or destroy the last one right? Same thing applies for virtually purchased goods. It's a product, not a service.

Think of it like you're a company. Protect your ass to keep giving millions of people the products they want, or get shut down in a lawsuit by illegally selling or allowing people to continuously access something you don't own or have the right to distribute anymore.

Sony forcibly made all the third parties agree to keep letting you download the same game an infinite amount of times on your one machine or on up to 5 replacement machines as a gesture of goodwill. They were actually looking out for our asses and made a good decision to prevent abuse of the system by the partners who's games they sell on their storefront. This however does not mean they own or control the sale or distribution of any of the products they offer from said third parties, it was and still is a fair compromise and one that I'm ok with. After all I don't get unlimited copies of my disc games or 5 free spares for other machines I might have.

If you want to get mad at anyone get mad at Sega because they're the ones that let this happen by being too slow to renew their license, end of story.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

I'm bitter because I actually bought the game, but can never re-download it if (when!) I need another PS3.

Sony ought to be putting pressure on Sega to offer those who bought it another game of equal value, IMO.

You don't expect to get a second free copy of a CD or DVD you bought if you loose, misplace, scratch or destroy the last one right?

Not the same. We are allowed to download a PSN game we bought unlimited times on up to five different PS3s. That was part of the deal that everyone who buys a PSN game agrees to. Not having that option was not part of the deal. I actually do feel ripped off.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

Breetai wrote:
You don't expect to get a second free copy of a CD or DVD you bought if you loose, misplace, scratch or destroy the last one right?

Not the same. We are allowed to download a PSN game we bought unlimited times on up to five different PS3s. That was part of the deal that everyone who buys a PSN game agrees to. Not having that option was not part of the deal. I actually do feel ripped off.

No, it's not.

Read the fine print of your terms and conditions, it talks about licensing issues and all that. Basically you don't own it, Sony doesn't own it and if you downloaded it take care of your PS3 and treat the games you download comparably like a physical disc. That means never delete them unless absolutely necessary, buying it when you get the chance and dealing with it if yours gets corrupt and you can't just download it anymore.

In other words man up and live with it or complain to SEGA not Sony and stop moaning about it unproductively. If everyone really cared and complained to the proper people this would have ended a long, looonnnggg time ago. I'm frankly just getting tired of everyone getting all hurt and complainy over DLC and DRM like some kid. Yeah it can suck at times, but you purchased everything knowing the risks the second you hit the download icon. After all they show you your terms and conditions and license holder's rights every single time you buy any DLC.

Seriously though, you're not really loosing anything but an inferior version of the game anyway. Aside from the resolution bump and online multiplayer the PS2 and Xbox games trump it in every way and can be LAN'ed via X-Link Kai.

EDIT!: Not meaning to sound harsh to anyone or anything either and if I am I apologize too. I don't like it any more than you guys do and it sucks that it was killed off of PSN. But with the way things work lately I've just made sure to know what I'm getting into when I buy stuff like this off of any download service and make sure to weigh my options and purchase accordingly. I have been screwed over in the past a few times myself but I decided to make sure it wouldn't happen again or at least not as often by reading up on what all the potential pitfalls and trappings can be.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:In other words man up and live with it or complain to SEGA not Sony and stop moaning about it unproductively. If everyone really cared and complained to the proper people this would have ended a long, looonnnggg time ago. I'm frankly just getting tired of everyone getting all hurt and complainy over DLC and DRM like some kid.

This was a bit uncalled for. People complaining online does get seen by the correct people, and guys like you who bothered to figure out who the correct people are help by pointing legit complaints in the right direction... but if you are really tired of it, why respond and sink to name calling at all?

There was a compliment in there, in case you missed it.
Bootaaay
128-bit

Post by Bootaaay »

Niode wrote:This really sucks, especially if you paid for the game but can't download it again. That is complete and utter bullshit on Sony's part. They should at least let you have the content you have paid for, if not then they need to refund you. It's as simple as that. Doesn't matter whether Sega has the licence anymore, that's not the consumers fault. It's Sony's responsibility to make sure their customers have access to the content they paid for. If not then I simply cannot and will not purchase ANYTHING on the PSN in future. Fuck Sony. I've had it with that piece of shit fucking company. My PS3 is staying exploited and will never be taken online again.

I'd just like to point out that this is bullshit, nothing is being denied here - if you purchased the game, you can still re-download it at any time, regardless of SEGA's lapsed licence. It's still available in the download list and the download still works - I just tried it myself to be sure, so I'm not sure what the hell anyone claiming otherwise is on about. So, yeah - fuck Sony :lol:

*edit, btw this happened before - SCEE put Silent Hill up as a PSX classic without Konami's permission, it was available for all of a few hours, but anyone who purchased the game during that time (myself included) can still re-download the game, despite the fact that Sony never had permission to sell it in the first place.
PSN; Bootaaay ---------------------------------------------------------------- XBL; B007444Y
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

I realize this isn't Sony's fault. But it sure hasn't been easy to be a PS3 owner lately. I'll say that much
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Bootaaay wrote:
*edit, btw this happened before - SCEE put Silent Hill up as a PSX classic without Konami's permission, it was available for all of a few hours, but anyone who purchased the game during that time (myself included) can still re-download the game, despite the fact that Sony never had permission to sell it in the first place.

when I tried it yesterday it didn't let me.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

ZeroAX wrote:
Bootaaay wrote:

when I tried it yesterday it didn't let me.

I was going on the fact that ZeroAX tried to download it and couldn't. There's a lot of noise on the internet about this being the same for other people. If you can still download it then that is fine. I can understand that. That's perfectly reasonable for Sony to pull it from their store for sale. When it comes to denying customers access to content they paid for without refund, that's when it becomes bullshit. Doesn't matter how you butter it up in the EULA that's a violation of consumer rights. It's essentially a bait and switch which is illegal in the EU. No doubt it's illegal in the states as well. If they aren't going to offer the download to existing customers then they need to refund you or provide you with an alternative. It's as simple as that. Again, that is not Sega's responsibility, it's Sony's, they are the vendor.

Mod_Man your analogies make no sense. You simply can't compare physical media to digital media. It's an apples to oranges comparison. Saying that you wouldn't expect the publisher to give you a free copy when your disc breaks is so unrelated to the issue here it almost hurts. Complete and utter logic fail.

As I've been saying over and over. It's the principle of Sony's business practices that irks me. If Sony can get away with pulling content with no repercussions then other companies are going to do it as well. If this is all smoke with no fire, and existing customers can still download the game that they paid for then that's fine. If not, Sony's customers are getting bent over and butt-fucked.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Bootaaay
128-bit

Post by Bootaaay »

I'd suggest ZeroAX tries it again, because it definitely worked for me - unless of course there's some disparity between the content on the UK and EU stores.
PSN; Bootaaay ---------------------------------------------------------------- XBL; B007444Y
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Bootaaay wrote:It's still available in the download list and the download still works...

I was going by what are Greek friend said. I'll try my UK account later when I get a chance.