Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Limewater
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2788
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:01 am
Location: Baltimore Washington Corridor

Re: Hardware Vs Emulators

by Limewater Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:26 pm

presicion25 wrote:
Pulsar_t wrote:Emulation all the way. Convenient, compact and portable. Too bad connecting the original gamepads can be a hassle, which is why I settle for generic ones.


I can understand not wanting to download ISO's from newer consoles since its piracy whether or not you pay for Megaupload and Rapidshare.


WAT?
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
presicion25
24-bit
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Hardware Vs Emulators

by presicion25 Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Limewater wrote:WAT?


I said that because many people have legal issues downloading roms or ISO's. But like you said in an earlier post, gaming really doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things, its only a hobby and not very productive.
My Hong Kong Cinema blog:

http://hkcinemaquickies.blogspot.com/2010/07/intro.html

For a good videogame Podcast visit: http://www.mondocoolcast.com
User avatar
flamepanther
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Hardware Vs Emulators

by flamepanther Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:57 pm

presicion25 wrote:I can understand not wanting to download ISO's from newer consoles since its piracy whether or not you pay for Megaupload and Rapidshare. But old systems like Genesis which I had as a kid?
Downloading Genesis games is piracy too. There is no legal distinction between games based on how old the console is. There are no video games old enough to pass into the public domain per the copyright law in most countries that have copyright law. A lot of those old games can still be bought on newer platforms, usually in collections or as paid downloads, so the "defunct platform" argument doesn't stand up.

Downloading games that aren't officially released for free is piracy. Period. Either you care or you don't, but there's no need to make imaginary distinctions.
Image
Hatta
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4030
Joined: Tue May 06, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: Hardware Vs Emulators

by Hatta Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:16 pm

irixith wrote:
Hatta wrote:Dunno why I'm coming off as elitist.


No no no, I wasn't calling *you* elitist.


That's ok, I wasn't taking it personally anyway. I enjoy a vigorous debate sometimes. Even if it comes down to a matter of taste it's entertaining to argue about.

Anyways, we got 5 pages into this thread before piracy came up. Piracy and emulation are orthogonal issues. You can pirate without emulating (flash carts), and you can emulate without pirating (retrode). Let's stay on topic.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
User avatar
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4320
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:14 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Hardware Vs Emulators

by gtmtnbiker Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Hatta wrote:
irixith wrote:I'm not a 13 year old kid with all the time in the world anymore.


Neither am I, but I seem to get by with just hitting pause. You're right though, not all use of save states is cheating. But it can be easily abused, and since you mentioned cheat codes in the same breath I assumed you were. Simply using them as an enhanced pause button is fair, but I don't see the need myself.


With the exception of online play, whether someone uses cheat codes/save states or not, it really doesn't matter to me as long as the person is enjoying him/herself.

I'm not sure that I understand your comment about "get by with hitting pause". So you wake up and play for 30 minutes before pausing and going to work. Then 8-10 hours later, you come home and resume playing?
Last edited by gtmtnbiker on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Limewater
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2788
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:01 am
Location: Baltimore Washington Corridor

Re: Hardware Vs Emulators

by Limewater Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Hatta wrote:Anyways, we got 5 pages into this thread before piracy came up. Piracy and emulation are orthogonal issues. You can pirate without emulating (flash carts), and you can emulate without pirating (retrode). Let's stay on topic.


I disagree with your first sentence. People have been discussing piracy via emulation since page 1. See Mendoza's friend, or WrathOskvro's post.

I do pretty much agree with the rest of your statement, though.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
User avatar
flamepanther
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Hardware Vs Emulators

by flamepanther Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:35 pm

gtmtnbiker wrote:I'm not sure that I understand your comment about "get by with hitting pause". So you wake up and play for 30 minutes before pausing and going to work. Then 8-10 hours later, you come home and resume playing?
Possibly. One nice thing about most vintage consoles is that he could do that if he wanted to, since they almost never overheat at all.
Image
presicion25
24-bit
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Hardware Vs Emulators

by presicion25 Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:43 pm

flamepanther wrote:Downloading Genesis games is piracy too. There is no legal distinction between games based on how old the console is.


Ive heard that argument go both ways. But most people don't realize that whats said on a gaming forum or any forum is taken mostly as opinion not fact, since that's what forums are for, opinions. So it comes down to basically:

flamepanther wrote:
Either you care or you don't


Well Said. :)
My Hong Kong Cinema blog:

http://hkcinemaquickies.blogspot.com/2010/07/intro.html

For a good videogame Podcast visit: http://www.mondocoolcast.com
Limewater
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2788
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:01 am
Location: Baltimore Washington Corridor

Re: Hardware Vs Emulators

by Limewater Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:56 pm

presicion25 wrote:
flamepanther wrote:Downloading Genesis games is piracy too. There is no legal distinction between games based on how old the console is.


Ive heard that argument go both ways.


This issue isn't really up for argument, or something to have an opinion about. That's like saying you have an opinion about whether or not Thomas Jefferson was a white man.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
User avatar
flamepanther
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:40 pm

Re: Hardware Vs Emulators

by flamepanther Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Limewater wrote:This issue isn't really up for argument, or something to have an opinion about. That's like saying you have an opinion about whether or not Thomas Jefferson was a white man.
I think he was probably more of a pinkish beige color.
Image
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests