Hardware Vs Emulators

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Hardware Vs Emulators

Post by MrPopo »

When I was in high school I lived in a dorm and we weren't allowed to have TVs, so I emulated everything. I found that emulation was an imperfect solution; aside from the controller issues which can be fixed with adapters an emulator just doesn't get everything perfect. Most noticable for me was the sound. I found that a lot of the games I played to death on my TV just didn't sound quite right on the emulator. Now that I've got the space and the money I'm hardware all the way. I've got everything hooked up to the TV thanks to the magic of switch boxes and it's awesome.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

MrPopo wrote:Most noticable for me was the sound. I found that a lot of the games I played to death on my TV just didn't sound quite right on the emulator.

Yeah, sound is a big one. So many emulators sound almost perfect, but not quite. I wonder why it is that sound chips are so hard to emulate.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

Until I win the lottery and can afford all the games I want and a large enough house to store them, I'm afraid I will have to emulate for the time being. If that doesn't make me a "real" retro gamer, so be it.
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
WrathOskvro
64-bit

Post by WrathOskvro »

Definitely. My original point was the ignorance associated with emulation. Example: You're wasting your money. Why did you buy a Genesis? You can emulate it :B On the contrary, if you have the original system, why would you emulate it? Unless of course you need portability or trying out something you don't have.

EDIT- You guys are posting quicker than I can keep up. whoops XD
Going through deleting inactive accounts of mine as a security precaution. No hard feelings, but admins, if it is possible to delete this account, please do so. Thanks in advance!
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

AmishSamurai wrote:Until I win the lottery and can afford all the games I want and a large enough house to store them, I'm afraid I will have to emulate for the time being.

"Have to?" That's kind of strong language. I don't think anyone's forcing anyone into playing video games.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

Hatta wrote:Dunno why I'm coming off as elitist.

No no no, I wasn't calling *you* elitist.

For example, almost immediately after my first post, "pepharytheworm" jumped on it with a "gamers who play retro games and not retro gamers" comment. That sort of snobby elitism almost always comes out in this sort of discussion. That whole "oh no, your choice is different than my choice, I must both defend my choice and insult you" thing comes out. It's boring, but also a form of snobbery that wasn't asked for.

Do we really need to go through the whole "I grew up with these consoles long before they ever got a 'retro' tag attached to them" business? Maybe the "I was playing these consoles long before most of these self-proclaimed 'retro' gamers were even a thought in the back of mommy and daddy's mind" business? No, I don't think so, that's boring and snobby too.

The original post was asking for opinions -- I think a lot of people have a long way to go towards learning how to *share* theirs as opposed to berating you because yours isn't the same.
AmishSamurai
Next-Gen

Post by AmishSamurai »

Limewater wrote:
AmishSamurai wrote:Until I win the lottery and can afford all the games I want and a large enough house to store them, I'm afraid I will have to emulate for the time being.

"Have to?" That's kind of strong language. I don't think anyone's forcing anyone into playing video games.

"Have to if I wish to play video games" then. Or are you saying if I can't afford the games I shouldn't play at all?
MrPopo wrote:The life lesson here is jobs will come and go, but Earthbound will always be there for you.

I'm a girl btw
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

irixith wrote:
Hatta wrote:Dunno why I'm coming off as elitist.

No no no, I wasn't calling *you* elitist.

For example, almost immediately after my first post, "pepharytheworm" jumped on it with a "gamers who play retro games and not retro gamers" comment. That sort of snobby elitism almost always comes out in this sort of discussion. That whole "oh no, your choice is different than my choice, I must both defend my choice and insult you" thing comes out. It's boring, but also a form of snobbery that wasn't asked for.

<snip>

The original post was asking for opinions -- I think a lot of people have a long way to go towards learning how to *share* theirs as opposed to berating you because yours isn't the same.

Heh. It sounds like you have a problem with perphary sharing his opinion.

Personally, I wouldn't feel offended at all if someone described what I did and said that didn't sound like a retro gamer. I really love video games, but in the grand scheme of things they really aren't that important, and playing them isn't exactly productive.
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

AmishSamurai wrote:
Limewater wrote:"Have to?" That's kind of strong language. I don't think anyone's forcing anyone into playing video games.

"Have to if I wish to play video games" then. Or are you saying if I can't afford the games I shouldn't play at all?

I was merely commenting on the idea that one could "have to" play video games in any sense of the word. I know it's not what you meant, but it's what you wrote. I'm not trying to derail this into a piracy argument.

Not playing is always an option.

But, for what it's worth, "have to if I wish to play video games" isn't really accurate, either.
presicion25
24-bit

Post by presicion25 »

Pulsar_t wrote:Emulation all the way. Convenient, compact and portable. Too bad connecting the original gamepads can be a hassle, which is why I settle for generic ones.

Well put. Why spend money on games if you don't have to. I can understand not wanting to download ISO's from newer consoles since its piracy whether or not you pay for Megaupload and Rapidshare. But old systems like Genesis which I had as a kid? Emulate all the way. Plus I can get every ROM released for the system and play all the games I couldn't get when I was young, including every other retro system. I also emulate Saturn and PS1 on my laptop. Most people don't realize you can play actual copies of PS1 games on your laptop through the emulator If you dont feel like getting the bin/cue version of the games because you have a conscience. Ive got most emulators and every rom for each emulator all on my laptop including MAME64 for which Ive got 7000 roms for as well. For Saturn, of which I own two modded real Saturns, I emulate it as well on my laptop because its portable.

Before all this, I got into emulation through Xbox. Mines got a Dual Bios, 750gb hard drive with Evo X dash. On it Ive got almost every emulator made for Xbox, 20 Xbox games burnt to the hard drive along with over 15,000 or so ROMS for all the emulators including Coin Ops Gold, Final Burn Legends, Final Burn Alpha, Final Burn Sega, Mameox, and all the retro emulators including PS1 as well.

Ive also got all these emulators on PSP, so I emulate all the way around.

So yeah no reason to buy games. Im not saying not to, Im just stating my personal preference. Instead of searching for supposed RARE games, Ive already got them all.

The only actual copies of games Ive got are for handhelds (Game Gear,GBA, GBC, NGPC) since I dont like the way they look emulated.

Ive also got a mint boxed copy of Super Punch Out I need to get rid of.
My Hong Kong Cinema blog:

http://hkcinemaquickies.blogspot.com/2010/07/intro.html

For a good videogame Podcast visit: http://www.mondocoolcast.com