Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
WrathOskvro
64-bit

Hardware Vs Emulators

by WrathOskvro Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:49 am

There have been quite a few people who have asked me, why not just emulate? Well, the Saturn and Dreamcast are both kind of a pain to emulate, but why Genesis? Ya know to be honest, I really don't know. Simply put, I just have more fun playing on the actual hardware instead of an emulator, even if an emulator supposedly can look better than the console itself. Personally I think that's bullshit. Put a Genesis emulator on a very high resolution monitor, you can do any filter you want and it will still look like crap when it's full screen. But other than that, and of course nostalgia, I can't really think of an argument other than the fact that I just DO. I use Kega Fusion and it runs everything perfectly pretty much, and I even use an arcade stick with it but I still prefer to play my actual system.

Alot of my friends are gamers and to be honest, it's starting to get on my nerves. Today I had a guy literally write me a book on Facebook explaining to me why emulators are so good and yadda yadda yadda. Give me a break, I wasn't born under a rock.

What do you guys think? Anyone here share the same opinion?
Going through deleting inactive accounts of mine as a security precaution. No hard feelings, but admins, if it is possible to delete this account, please do so. Thanks in advance!
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

Re: Hardware Vs Emulators

by hashiriya1 Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:02 am

Not a fan of emulation either. The only emulator I really use is MAME. For home consoles, I play the real thing.
WrathOskvro
64-bit

by WrathOskvro Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:10 am

Yeah I use MAME alot, and that's only because I have to. Honestly, that emu annoys the crap out of me because half the games are dependent on files that you don't have until you go searching. And the interface is a hassle..buuut that's beside the point.

You have any reasons other than agreeing? :P
Going through deleting inactive accounts of mine as a security precaution. No hard feelings, but admins, if it is possible to delete this account, please do so. Thanks in advance!
Mendoza
128-bit

by Mendoza Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:23 am

Well there is the whole legality issue as well.

I received emulators for genesis and nes when i bought my dreamcast. There good, the nes one is actually very good, but whenever possible i like to use actual hardware.

I mean the genesis is cheap and readily available. Why emulate it?

The nes is a pain cause your forced to choose between flawed machinery in the toaster model, and inferior video and audio with the top loader, or lax comparability with the clones.

I did have a friend tell me i didn't need to buy a nes or genesis now that i have the emu discs,and that's just not true.

Emulators aren't collectible, and you cant put them on a shelf, just like with burned games.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

by pepharytheworm Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:42 am

The real thing is aways better, ownership is a big factor. Would anyone be proud of the huge amount of roms on your computer, would you show it off to friends? Playing on a console is an experience, emulation is more like a procedure.

What sounds more fun to you?
Going to a store and finding that game you have been looking for, for ages, and its CIB. You find you can afford the price so you bring it home. You take it out of its case/box, glance at the wonderful artwork and browse through the manual, loving the silly story. You cant wait anymore so you take the game out of its case, pop it in your system, and grab your trusty controller. You turn on your TV and turn to channel 3 or switch to a video mode, then turn on your system and watch the light turn on (depending on the console). You set back 8 feet from the TV and play the night away.

Or you want a game so you check rom sites, you find it then you make sure you have the right emulator to play it. You down load it from megaupload or whatever one they are using. Then you extract the files and you are ready to play. Now you make sure you have a good controller to play on your PC. You sit in your desk chair and begin to play. Don't forget to mess with setting so it looks right.
Disclaimer:
This procedure may differ from person to person
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:47 am

Emulation all the way. Convenient, compact and portable. Too bad connecting the original gamepads can be a hassle, which is why I settle for generic ones.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
WrathOskvro
64-bit

by WrathOskvro Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:55 am

I do agree that it can be portable, like the emus you can get for PSP, or those handheld systems like the Retrogen but it still doesn't recreate the awesome experience of actually having the game, playing it on the tv with the actual controller and system sitting in front of you, not having to move around your mouse cursor, not having to screw around with filters only to fail at making it look good usually...just blah.

Really the only benefit to emulating that I can see is portability, and free.
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen

by xan_racketBOY_fan Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:48 am

I prefer the hardware as well (what retrogamer doesn't?!?), but I think it also comes down to actual space in the entertainment center. Take me for example, I currently have my PS3, 360, Wii and my SEGA Saturn hooked up on one set. When I'm feeling nostalgic, I'll fire up the Homebrew Channel on the Wii (plays perfectly, especially with the Classic controller). But if I could -- I'd have all my consoles set up, of course the older systems on an older TV ... it's not like they have HDMI output or anything :P
lisalover1
Next-Gen

by lisalover1 Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:11 am

I always prefer original hardware, with the sole exception being in portables. I carry my PSP around a lot, so I like to have a bunch of emulators on it for entertainment value.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
DaGamingMonkey
128-bit

by DaGamingMonkey Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:59 am

I'm a hardware guy.
I've used emulators in the past to try out games I've been suggested before buying.

If I had a psp it would have some sort of emulation program going on.

Nothing beats playing the hardware, nostalgic, also when you bust out an older console and play with a friend they seem to appreciate it more then if it's emulated. It's a different experience.
Return to General Gaming