Keeping games you don't like to have a better collection?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Keeping games you don't like to have a better collection?

Post by noiseredux »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:Always with the gameboy games lol. Only one I have is Bases loaded by jaleco

Oddly I was playing that very game last night!
pjvdg
24-bit

Post by pjvdg »

If I see a movie based game (jurassic park, waterworld, back to the future, etc.) I just buy them even though the games itself turn out mediocre at best most of the time.
----------------------------------------------------------
Manage your retro collection on your iPhone or iPod Touch:

Others:
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

I'm definitely a quality over quanity kind of gamer. Padding your collection with crappy games never makes your collection 'better'. Whenever I buy a lot of games, the crappy ones and duplicates instantly get sold of traded. I would never want anyone to think I have badtaste when it comes to games.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

corn619 wrote: Padding your collection with crappy games never makes your collection 'better'.

I don't think anyone is arguing that it does. What do you do with high quality "good" games that you own but personally don't care for?
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen

Post by xan_racketBOY_fan »

Through the years, I've given away many of my systems and completed games away (handed them down to relatives not as fortunate as myself). Only recently have I regretted it (just slightly :P), but now I find myself slowly recollecting my consoles and "must-have" titles for those systems. The ONLY games I could never part with are ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. And as a Jackie Chan fan, I had to re-buy that as my original copy was stolen from me -- what kind of jerk would do that?!

Back on topic, I don't think there ever was a game I didn't like and held onto. But I do understand your sentiment, OP.
corn619
Next-Gen

Post by corn619 »

dsheinem wrote:
corn619 wrote: Padding your collection with crappy games never makes your collection 'better'.

I don't think anyone is arguing that it does. What do you do with high quality "good" games that you own but personally don't care for?

Sorry man, maybe crappy was the wrong word to use. As for your question, If I know I'm probably never going to play it, I sell it. Whats the use of owning something I'll never use? Most of the time its only going to drop in value the longer you keep it.
Crabmaster2000
128-bit

Post by Crabmaster2000 »

I used to have the same problem as you, but then realized I could trade/sell the games I didnt care for and as long as I replaced them with something equally rare/valuable I'd be happy.

For example I bought a large lot of Dreamcast games and couldnt stand Skies of Arcadia or Sonic Adventure 1 & 2. They quickly because uncommon/semi-valuable NES games that I appreciate much more. Havnt missed them a bit.

I do love collecting NES and plan to get all the licensed games (minus Stadium Events), so I do have a significant amount of crap. My plan is though that once I've got them all and played each one, I'll keep all my favorite and sell the rest to start a fund for the next system I plan to collect for.
Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/2000Crabmaster?feature=mhee

250 NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

I like having some of the more notable shitty games around. It's always fun to pull out ET on the 2600 or Bible Adventures for a laugh. It's kind of an MST3K appeal. I don't keep mediocre games around just to pad my collection though.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
GigaPepsiMan
64-bit

Post by GigaPepsiMan »

This last year I have been trying to silm down my collection and getting rid of the stuff I don't really need. I really shouldn't be buying so many games and I need to start getting rid of the stuff I don't want or need.
Being able to sell the games on places like retro gamer has really helped me but it has also added to the problem too, double standard I suppose but at least I can get rid of stuff.
eSPy
64-bit

Post by eSPy »

if i see a nes game in the wild chances are ill buy it if i dont have it already. hence why i own "Barbie" and "Sesame Street: Big Bird's Hide & Speak"
Atari 2600 Jr., NES, Gameboy, Genesis 1 and 2, Saturn, Virtual Boy, Gameboy Advance (with Supercard SD), Playstation (With Goldfinger), Nintendo 64, Playstation 2(modded), Nintendo DS (Fat) with Edge