Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
jfe2
Next-Gen

Retro Gamer Magazine iPhone app

by jfe2 Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:22 pm

I downloaded the Retro Gamer Magazine app on the iPhone today and was wondering if anyone here has tried it before. I have always had a hard time finding physical copies of the magazine here in the U.S. at a decent price, so $5 a pop on the iPhone doesn't sound all that bad. There's also a subscription option that I may look into if I really like reading it. Anyone else use this?
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Retro Gamer Magazine iPhone app

by racketboy Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:35 pm

jfe2 wrote:I downloaded the Retro Gamer Magazine app on the iPhone today and was wondering if anyone here has tried it before. I have always had a hard time finding physical copies of the magazine here in the U.S. at a decent price, so $5 a pop on the iPhone doesn't sound all that bad. There's also a subscription option that I may look into if I really like reading it. Anyone else use this?

So is it $5 an issue?
(I'm Android, not iPhone)
jfe2
Next-Gen

by jfe2 Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:01 pm

Yeah, $4.99 per issue, $21.99 for six months, and $42.99 for twelve. The only downside to the app is having to read the magazine on such a tiny screen. Other than that, it's a huge savings compared to the physical copy. :D
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:04 pm

jfe2 wrote:Yeah, $4.99 per issue, $21.99 for six months, and $42.99 for twelve. The only downside to the app is having to read the magazine on such a tiny screen. Other than that, it's a huge savings compared to the physical copy. :D

I'd consider it if I got an iPad, but no way on the phone.
jfe2
Next-Gen

by jfe2 Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:08 pm

dsheinem wrote:
jfe2 wrote:Yeah, $4.99 per issue, $21.99 for six months, and $42.99 for twelve. The only downside to the app is having to read the magazine on such a tiny screen. Other than that, it's a huge savings compared to the physical copy. :D

Yeah, this thing is perfect for the iPad. I don't mind the small screen on the iPhone, especially considering how convenient it will be for reading on breaks at work.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:18 pm

jfe2 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

Yeah, this thing is perfect for the iPad. I don't mind the small screen on the iPhone, especially considering how convenient it will be for reading on breaks at work.
The real question is if that AP can be backed up. To be read later on future purchase of a larger screen. Wouldn't it be better to buy the magazine CD from Retrogamer?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

jfe2
Next-Gen

by jfe2 Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:47 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:The real question is if that AP can be backed up. To be read later on future purchase of a larger screen. Wouldn't it be better to buy the magazine CD from Retrogamer?

As far as I know, it should be able to be backed up with no problems. iTunes backs up your whole phone for you whenever you synch your iPhone.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

by Dakinggamer87 Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:09 pm

I will check this out!! :)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:22 am

Seems a bit pricey for what it is...
And yeah, iPad and Kindle would would better...
At least on the Kindle I could read on Android and PC as well...
finerion
64-bit

by finerion Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:36 am

racketboy wrote:Seems a bit pricey for what it is...
And yeah, iPad and Kindle would would better...
At least on the Kindle I could read on Android and PC as well...

That's a good point. I'm an Android man myself and do most of my reading on my phone with the Kindle app. Will probably pick up an actualy Kindle one of these days but I really like the option of being able to read my content on multiple devices.

Is the magazine reformated for the smaller screen of the iPhone or is it like a full page pdf where you have to scroll all over it?

@Racketboy, we need a racketboy.com Android app so we can keep up with threads easily on the go. :)
Return to General Gaming