Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Wim_Senna
8-bit

Re: Sega Genesis vs. SNES!?

by Wim_Senna Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:50 am

flamepanther wrote:
pepharytheworm wrote:This site is too saturn oriented for a proper N64 vs Saturn thread but it would be an intresting thread nonetheless.
Nah. Better to have Sega and Nintendo split that generation between 2D and 3D respectively, and smash the PS1 which was mediocre at both. Too bad it would never retroactively affect the outcome of that battle :?

Being the best was never enough to win a console war... Remember the NES which was inferior to the Master System. Thanks to the evil Nintendo empire's conspiracy they made sure no 3rd party developers could make games for the MS.

As far as the PS1 goes. Mediocre? Maybe (certainly not in my book), but it was released just at the right time, with the right games and one of the best ad campains ever seen. Sony sure gave Nintendo a taste of their own medicine there :mrgreen: .
PC Engine Duo,Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive, SNES, Gameboy Advance, Atari Lynx, Playstation, PS2, PS3, PSP, NES,Gameboy,Atari 7800,Wii
flamepanther
Next-Gen

by flamepanther Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:56 pm

Wim_Senna wrote:Being the best was never enough to win a console war...
In fact it seems to prevent winning one.
Remember the NES which was inferior to the Master System. Thanks to the evil Nintendo empire's conspiracy they made sure no 3rd party developers could make games for the MS.
An exaggeration for sure. Nintendo played a bit dirty that generation, but there were other major factors as well.
As far as the PS1 goes. Mediocre? Maybe (certainly not in my book), but it was released just at the right time, with the right games and one of the best ad campains ever seen.
Mortal Kombat III and Jumping Flash were the right games? Really? I think the price tag and early launch had a lot more to do with it than the games.
Sony sure gave Nintendo a taste of their own medicine there :mrgreen: .
Yep. Nintendo kept on making huge profits and Sega got destroyed. Sure gave Nintendo a taste of... wait, what?
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:49 pm

Wim_Senna wrote:Remember the NES which was inferior to the Master System.

I dunno man. Having to get up to pause a game and hoping you don't die is a pretty glaring flaw. :lol:
flamepanther
Next-Gen

by flamepanther Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:55 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:
Wim_Senna wrote:Remember the NES which was inferior to the Master System.

I dunno man. Having to get up to pause a game and hoping you don't die is a pretty glaring flaw. :lol:
The SMS D-pad also used to make my thumb sore a lot faster than the NES one. Not to mention the buttons felt mushier. I've taken to hooking up a 6-button Genesis pad on my Master System rather than use the original controls. I use them for my Atari VCS CX2600 games too :D

That still doesn't let me pause without getting up though :(
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

by EvilRyu2099 Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:15 pm

flamepanther wrote:Mortal Kombat III and Jumping Flash were the right games? Really? I think the price tag and early launch had a lot more to do with it than the games.
The Saturn was released around 6 months prior to the Playstation... The playstation had some strong titles in the beginning as well, it's easy to name the bad one's but they also had games like Ridge Racer and Tekken.. Toshinden was a mild hit as well..
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
flamepanther
Next-Gen

by flamepanther Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:25 pm

EvilRyu2099 wrote:
flamepanther wrote:Mortal Kombat III and Jumping Flash were the right games? Really? I think the price tag and early launch had a lot more to do with it than the games.
The Saturn was released around 6 months prior to the Playstation... The playstation had some strong titles in the beginning as well, it's easy to name the bad one's but they also had games like Ridge Racer and Tekken.. Toshinden was a mild hit as well..
It's really hard for me to swallow the idea that Tekken and Toshinden were considerably (if at all) superior to Virtua Fighter 2, or Ridge Racer to Daytona USA for that matter. A big deal was made at the time about Mortal Kombat 3 going to the PS1 first, so it shouldn't be dismissed... but honestly it was crap, IMO. The big titles that really pushed PS1 ahead of Saturn in the public eye came out later. Up to that point, I think the massive difference in price tag had a lot more to do with the PS1's popularity--with gamers and developers both.

FYI, I liked Jumping Flash. It just wasn't anything special.
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

by EvilRyu2099 Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:29 pm

flamepanther wrote:t's really hard for me to swallow the idea that Tekken and Toshinden were considerably (if at all) superior to Virtua Fighter 2, or Ridge Racer to Daytona USA for that matter. A big deal was made at the time about Mortal Kombat 3 going to the PS1 first, so it shouldn't be dismissed... but honestly it was crap, IMO. The big titles that really pushed PS1 ahead of Saturn in the public eye came out later. Up to that point, I think the massive difference in price tag had a lot more to do with the PS1's popularity--with gamers and developers both.
The price tag and marketing campaign, and at the time of release, the 3D graphics were superior to that of the Saturn, not to mention it was easier for programmers to develop games for it... The saturn was released at a terrible time, before E3 and it didn't make good with 3rd party developers like Namco.. Also, the Playstation had an outstanding lineup of games released in 1996, like Suikoden, Tekken 2 and Soul Blade...
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
flamepanther
Next-Gen

by flamepanther Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:34 pm

EvilRyu2099 wrote:The price tag and marketing campaign, and at the time of release, the 3D graphics were superior to that of the Saturn, not to mention it was easier for programmers to develop games for it... The saturn was released at a terrible time, before E3 and it didn't make good with 3rd part developers like Namco.. Also, the Playstation had an outstanding lineup of games released in 1996, like Suikoden, Tekken 2 and Soul Blade...
I found Panzer Dragoon easily more impressive than any of those, and it came out in 1995. In a perfect world, it would be games and hardware that decide a console war, not developer laziness, release dates, or marketing campaigns--so if you want to convince me that the right console won, you're on the wrong track ;)
3GenGames
32-bit

by 3GenGames Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:36 pm

EvilRyu2099 wrote:
flamepanther wrote:t's really hard for me to swallow the idea that Tekken and Toshinden were considerably (if at all) superior to Virtua Fighter 2, or Ridge Racer to Daytona USA for that matter. A big deal was made at the time about Mortal Kombat 3 going to the PS1 first, so it shouldn't be dismissed... but honestly it was crap, IMO. The big titles that really pushed PS1 ahead of Saturn in the public eye came out later. Up to that point, I think the massive difference in price tag had a lot more to do with the PS1's popularity--with gamers and developers both.
The price tag and marketing campaign, and at the time of release, the 3D graphics were superior to that of the Saturn, not to mention it was easier for programmers to develop games for it... The saturn was released at a terrible time, before E3 and it didn't make good with 3rd party developers like Namco.. Also, the Playstation had an outstanding lineup of games released in 1996, like Suikoden, Tekken 2 and Soul Blade...

They were using C by this time and the changes to C code to make it change from console to console are minor. Especially is they write another library with the same functions for a new system, then it's just including different files for graphics, sound handling, and other minor details, and it'll be exactly the same. :lol: :wink:
flamepanther
Next-Gen

by flamepanther Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:42 pm

3GenGames wrote:They were using C by this time and the changes to C code to make it change from console to console are minor. Especially is they write another library with the same functions for a new system, then it's just including different files for graphics, sound handling, and other minor details, and it'll be exactly the same. :lol: :wink:
Using that sort of method to port games was part of what hurt multi-platform 3D games on the Saturn, as it apparently took a lot more than new libraries to optimize pre-made code for the Saturn's strange multi-CPU environment. At least, that's what's been said. Judging from what Sega was able to do with the hardware versus what 3rd parties typically did, I'd say I believe it.
Return to General Gaming