Sega Genesis vs. SNES!?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dischord76
24-bit

Sega Genesis vs. SNES!?

Post by dischord76 »

Ok, so I'm sure this has been discussed before (hopefully not too recent) but I was just curious what the majority of people liked more overall as a system. Of course there were many of the same games released on each but the exclusives are what I think stand out most.
I now gladly own a nice collection for each so I'd like to say my opinion is not biased. My 10 year old self would tell you sega sucks though (I was a snes kid) It seems SNES had quite a bit more cooler exclusive titles like DKC, MARIO, countless RPG's, Kirby, Zelda, I'll stop there as I'd like to hear more from everyone else. I think it might be a good way to introduce people to games they never played/heard of. So to answer my own damn question, I say SNES wins. That really is tough, as I love my sega/cd/32x.
Last edited by dischord76 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
WrathOskvro
64-bit

Re: Sega Geneses vs. SNES!?

Post by WrathOskvro »

If I had both consoles, and had to get rid of one of them, I would choose to keep the Genesis. To be quite honest, I think they're both equally great. They both have their ups and downs, but I just love the Sega Genesis too much and prefer that Sega 'style'. I guess you can say I'm a little biased, but I'm trying to give as honest of an answer as I can too. :P
Going through deleting inactive accounts of mine as a security precaution. No hard feelings, but admins, if it is possible to delete this account, please do so. Thanks in advance!
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

I choose any sonic the hedgehog game against super mario world.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
Curlypaul
Next-Gen

Post by Curlypaul »

They are both fine systems, and nintendo has a disneyesque charm but I would have to pick the MegaDrive. I cant put my finger on what it is but Sega's machine oozes character. I mean who else would make the Sega tower possible?
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

benderx wrote:I choose any sonic the hedgehog game against super mario world.

Sonic Spinball is better than Super Mario World???

For me... I had a Genesis/Sega Cd first (bought them in 1991/1993 respectably), but I'd say the SNES edges it out. E.V.O. Search for Eden is just too good!
pjvdg
24-bit

Post by pjvdg »

benderx wrote:I choose any sonic the hedgehog game against super mario world.

That's a statement that could start a holy war :)
----------------------------------------------------------
Manage your retro collection on your iPhone or iPod Touch:

Others:
pjvdg
24-bit

Post by pjvdg »

One thing I prefered about the mega drive / genesis games was their packaging. Much sturdier. When I go to a flea market or garage sale I always find cart only SNES games, genesis games almost always come with their original box...
----------------------------------------------------------
Manage your retro collection on your iPhone or iPod Touch:

Others:
Betamax001
Next-Gen

Post by Betamax001 »

Though both systems are both very fun, I prefer SNES to the Genesis. Maybe if I grew up on one or the other or liked Sonic at all. Super Mario World is probably in my Top 5 games of all time. Though I like the GBA port over the SNES. That being able to save anywhere is a really great feature that I love alot.
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

I owned all three back then (SNES/GEN/TG) and most of my cherished SNES games still hold up. Some of my TG games do and some of my GEN games do.
There are some games on GEN & TG that I wouldn't want to go without playing again but there are way more on SNES for me.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
ChuChu Flamingo
64-bit

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

I still need to beef up my collection of genesis games, but in my opinion both offer different taste, much like coke vs pepsi. In the following text, I am gonna list some pros and cons for me of each system. Wall of text coming.

Genesis

Pro

-3 button controller which is very ergonomic and the d-pad/buttons feel great.
-Supports composite and RGB (s-video if you mod)
-Game cases are one of the best for keeping games in great condition(right up their with
-Neo Geo AES/Master System)
-Shmups and arcade ports from sega
-Mortal kombat has blood.

-Original mode version says High definition graphics, Sega was really ahead of their time 8)

Con

-The hardware revisions. As you went down each revision the image quality and sound quality went down for the most part.
-Importing requires a device.
-Model one does support stereo, but through the headphone jack. Why you do this sega? Model 2 fixed this by having stereo at the AV out in the back, but image quality is still balls.
-My last complaint is the sound. While it is awesome for genesis only games, the ports of street fighter II and mortal kombat sounded like balls.
-Uniformity in boxes becae a nightmare later on with red, black, checkered, and even M.U.S.H.As own packaging.

SNES

Pro

-Six button controller with an awesome D-pad much like the genesis dpad. Has shoulder buttons
-Supports composite, s-video, and RGB.
-The music. Even the ports of Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat II music sound awesome. Granted it wasn't anything close to the arcade sound, but had a certain charm to it.
-Play imports just by cutting off tabs inside the cartridge flap. PAL ones need a device
-RPGs

Con

-Super famicom and PAL Super Nintendo's games did not have end labels.
-Game cases left something more to desire. Unless you put them in cases like these or handled them with great care they were damaged easily even then. Makes me sad when it is almost impossible to find a game box with game in the wild. The boxes I kinda understand, but what about the manuals?

I know I really didn't talk much about the games, but to me both are equally as good. I really don't look at it as which system was better.

But this topic should be Genesis & Super Nintendo vs the Super Famicom. Because end labels on your games is more important than anything else in the entire world