Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: how much is shadow of the colossus gh worth sealed.

by noiseredux Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:12 pm

corn619 wrote:I can't understand why people buy games just to have sit on their shelves. I'd rather buy games and use them for their intended purpose, to play them. Is it really worth having a collection of games if you can't use them? How much do people think these games will appreciate? These days with reprints and downloadable releases collecting sealed games is a poor investment. I only buy and own games to play them these days, I sold off most of my collectable stuff a while back.

I was more giving the heads up -- I mean I saw it sealed for $10 where as I know it goes for $20 used at GameStop. But at the same time, I figured if it was a great deal, I'd pick em up and sell them, y'know?
corn619
Next-Gen

by corn619 Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:56 pm

noiseredux wrote:
corn619 wrote:I can't understand why people buy games just to have sit on their shelves. I'd rather buy games and use them for their intended purpose, to play them. Is it really worth having a collection of games if you can't use them? How much do people think these games will appreciate? These days with reprints and downloadable releases collecting sealed games is a poor investment. I only buy and own games to play them these days, I sold off most of my collectable stuff a while back.

I was more giving the heads up -- I mean I saw it sealed for $10 where as I know it goes for $20 used at GameStop. But at the same time, I figured if it was a great deal, I'd pick em up and sell them, y'know?

What I said was just a statement about crazy collectors in general and wasn't directed at you Noise. Sorry if it sounded like that. If you think you can make a few $ off them go for yours man, by all means. I just don't why someone would have a collection they can't play. I could see if most games appreciated %200 10 years after buying them but 99.9% don't. Why would anyone deprive themselves of all the fun of playing a game to possibly make maybe 20 to 25% in 10 to 20 years after the games release. I just don't get it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:57 pm

oh me neither. I don't own any sealed games.
mobiusclimber
128-bit

by mobiusclimber Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:44 pm

Digital releases, or even re-releases, generally do nothing to the price of sealed games. However, production numbers mean a lot more when dealing w/ sealed games, so if this had been Ico instead of Shadow of the Colossus, it would well be worth $10, regardless of the PS3 collection. Shadow of the Colossus, tho, was released in a large quantity and sold fairly well. It's not a very difficult game to get ahold of.
I have a ton of games listed on my eCrater Site!
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

by Dakinggamer87 Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:30 am

corn619 wrote:I can't understand why people buy games just to have sit on their shelves. I'd rather buy games and use them for their intended purpose, to play them. Is it really worth having a collection of games if you can't use them? How much do people think these games will appreciate? These days with reprints and downloadable releases collecting sealed games is a poor investment. I only buy and own games to play them these days.

What I said was just a statement about crazy collectors in general and wasn't directed at you Noise. Sorry if it sounded like that. If you think you can make a few $ off them go for yours man, by all means. I just don't why someone would have a collection they can't play. I could see if most games appreciated %200 10 years after buying them but 99.9% don't. Why would anyone deprive themselves of all the fun of playing a game to possibly make maybe 20 to 25% in 10 to 20 years after the games release. I just don't get it.

I totally agree with ya. 8)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:41 am

Thanks Noise!
Picked up Shadow Colossus at KMart for $9.99. Inside included a very crisp manual and a mini catalog of Greatest Hits. This KMart also had two in the sale bin, maybe allotted two per store?

Sealed and Greatest Hits
My stand on sealed copies is they are less value, especially years later when out of print. Sealed means untested, what if the disc is defective? As for Greatest Hits vs Regular, I don't get the fuss either. I know the 1st run cost more initially, but a Greatest Hits version sometimes have good updates as in Midnight Dub. An original release such as Grand Theft Auto, not for sake of 1st run but again the features, such as "Coffee Edition" or just having a PSP Exploit version.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Return to General Gaming