Trophies and Achievements...

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Trophies and Achievements...

Post by Hobie-wan »

jfrost wrote:Just bought Bit.Trip BEAT on PC and one of the Steam achievements is beating the game with Razer's motion controller. That's lovely.

That's just asanine.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

Hobie-wan wrote:
jfrost wrote:Just bought Bit.Trip BEAT on PC and one of the Steam achievements is beating the game with Razer's motion controller. That's lovely.

That's just asanine.

To make it worse, it seems that said controller isn't even for sale yet.

Edit: I forgot to say, when I tried to change the control input to keyboard, a warning popped up saying that a keyboard was not an ideal control method, the best way to play the game would be with Razer Sixense. But if that's true, why is that an achievement? I mean, it isn't a challenge to beat the game with the best possible controller.
SwooshBear
Next-Gen

Post by SwooshBear »

I find getting trophies/achievements mostly fun, because it increases the replay value for my games. I wouldn't have beat mw2 on veteran if the trophies weren't there, and I had a blast doing it. The only bad thing is that I can't stand it when I lack a lot of trophies for a game. I feel like I have to go play the game to get the trophies I didn't get the first time. Overall, I think that it's fine the way it is. Those who don't like them can just ignore them.
Incognito D wrote:Mere months after buying my original GBA, Nintendo trolled me hard by releasing the SP.

Check me out on twitter: SwooshBear742
DaGamingMonkey
128-bit

Post by DaGamingMonkey »

I love them.

The garden Gnome achieve in L4D2 is a perfect example about how fun and challenging they can be.
If used right they can add a lot to the game.
Frizz.Meister
32-bit

Post by Frizz.Meister »

As many have said in this thread they vary from game to game.

My ideal achievements/trophies for a game would be:
50% - Complete single player
10% - Complete on hardest difficulty
10% - Find the secrets
25% - Re-play the game but doing X
5% - Some rediculously long or hard achievment, eg Plants vs zombies, survive 40 rounds. As this makes you learn every detail about the game.

Instead we get:
30% - Buy the game
20% - Finish single player
10% - Secrets
40% - Encourage friends to buy the game just to get achivements, ie complete in online 4 man co-op...
soul_hacker
64-bit

Post by soul_hacker »

I never pay attention to them to be completely honest.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The concept of having a series of challenges for the player is fine. Goldeneye's cheats is the simplest form, but there are also more complicated ones. They can be used to help introduce a player to a certain technique they might never have discovered otherwise. And if you pair it with tangible rewards, like TF2's unlocks, then it can be quite awesome. What I find to be rather silly, though, is the mandated "1000 gamerscore in achievements" thing, which causes you to have several bullshit achievements, like "Equipped a ring" (from Lost Odyssey). Figuring out a basic game action is not an achievement.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

I pretty much hate trophies/achievements now. My main reason for this is that I recently discovered that many modern games have "locked" save files preventing players from copying their save data, all in the interest of preventing players from acquiring trophies/achievements by using other people's saves. Frankly, I don't need corporate game companies regulating everything I do with my games. To not let players protect their save date by backing it up, just because of trophies/achievements is stupid beyond words.

F*** trophies/achievements. It's ridiculous that they have become such a huge concern for game companies that they are actually locking down people's save files. Trophies and achievements are so ridiculously insignificant in the grand scheme of things that I don't understand the nonsensical paranoia companies have of a few players getting some free ones through using other people's saves. Who the hell cares!? If the people working at the companies weren't such idiots to begin with, they'd just lock saves to people's profiles or ids. Makes more sense than not letting us back up our data

Stupid morons :roll:
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Gamerforlife wrote:I pretty much hate trophies/achievements now. My main reason for this is that I recently discovered that many modern games have "locked" save files preventing players from copying their save data, all in the interest of preventing players from acquiring trophies/achievements by using other people's saves. Frankly, I don't need corporate game companies regulating everything I do with my games. To not let players protect their save date by backing it up, just because of trophies/achievements is stupid beyond words.

F*** trophies/achievements. It's ridiculous that they have become such a huge concern for game companies that they are actually locking down people's save files. Trophies and achievements are so ridiculously insignificant in the grand scheme of things that I don't understand the nonsensical paranoia companies have of a few players getting some free ones through using other people's saves. Who the hell cares!? If the people working at the companies weren't such idiots to begin with, they'd just lock saves to people's profiles or ids. Makes more sense than not letting us back up our data

Stupid morons :roll:

This trend started in 2003 on the PS2 with Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, which had achievements in a separate save file which couldn't be transferred.