retro game renting

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
tommyboy8689
24-bit

retro game renting

Post by tommyboy8689 »

its something ive been thinking about for a long time... i think it might work for people who are just starting to get into the gaming world, or someone who was looking to play a game from their past but didnt really want to actually own... does anybody else think that this idea would work, or is it just me?
Flake

Re: retro game renting

Post by Flake »

Nope.

See: Emulation, Theft, Liability, lack of any possible profit margin whatsoever.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
tommyboy8689
24-bit

Post by tommyboy8689 »

you can say the same thing about modern games... maybe not so much emulation, but theft and liability definitely... im not saying there would be a ton of money involved, but gamefly blockbuster etc..., do modern game rentals im thinking the same concept with retro games
thelolotov
32-bit

Post by thelolotov »

tommyboy8689 wrote:its something ive been thinking about for a long time... i think it might work for people who are just starting to get into the gaming world, or someone who was looking to play a game from their past but didnt really want to actually own... does anybody else think that this idea would work, or is it just me?

Honestly, I wouldn't be interested, I hate renting games, as it means I have to finish them in a time limit, and plus, I like owning them, and building a collection.
WrathOskvro
64-bit

Post by WrathOskvro »

Vintage Stock lets you rent any of their games, but they're really only located in the midwest US.
Going through deleting inactive accounts of mine as a security precaution. No hard feelings, but admins, if it is possible to delete this account, please do so. Thanks in advance!
scarper
128-bit

Post by scarper »

Japan probly has one.
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

I think in most cases (at least where I live), you could buy a retro game for probably the same price as renting it. So I don't think it would go over too well
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

scarper wrote:Japan probly has one.

Nope. It's illegal to rent games in Japan. Nintendo saw to that in the 1980s, and almost made game rentals illegal in North American during that time as well.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

fine , we won't rent games,
we will start a company and all of us going to invest $60 in each cart/cd, with 20 people thats $3 per cartridge.
And so every one will have a game to play, we will buy 20 games

$3 x 20 games= $60 initial investment , and that will make the company own 20 games, with each of the 20 investors having equal shares, so each one can own the game for some time before shifting them around :p

is it legal now?
thelolotov
32-bit

Post by thelolotov »

Breetai wrote:
scarper wrote:Japan probly has one.

Nope. It's illegal to rent games in Japan. Nintendo saw to that in the 1980s, and almost made game rentals illegal in North American during that time as well.

I didn't know Nintendo was THAT powerful. :shock: